Forward_Lateral
12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Sweet news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=billscrowell&prov=st&type=lgns

X-Era
12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Sweet news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=billscrowell&prov=st&type=lgns

I think its a foregone conclusion that Posey will now be cut. No way they extend him, he plays this well all year, and then he doesnt start next year at SLB opposite TKO.

TKO, Fletcher, Crowell I like it.

SpillerThrills
12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Posey has played well.... not a standout by any means but a solid player.... I would like to see the bills go back to the 3-4 defense of the past... I think that with the lb's we've got that we can make it work... then you only have to get one big DT and you can concentrate more on the OL... I also think that will utilize our LB's to their fullest if you put TKO, Fletcher, Crowell and Posey out there together and allow them to blitz and create havoc in the backfield.... what do you guys think?

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
or maybe a 3-4 with Gray getting the axe and a LB corps starting Posey-Fletcher-Spikes-Crowell

Michael82
12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
or maybe a 3-4 with Gray getting the axe and a LB corps starting Posey-Fletcher-Spikes-Crowell
that would be hot. :clap:

Iehoshua
12-28-2005, 06:01 PM
We really don't have the DT to run the 4-3 as well as in the past so a switch to a 3-4 would actually be pretty sweet with all the LBs we have.

Devin
Awesome news!!!!!

Happy to hear it, he was a priority along with Peters imo.

Hopefully its a long term deal.

Devin
Hopefully the terms will be made public soon.

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 06:02 PM
and honestly the only way I see Posey being really productive...he reminds me too much of Bryce Paup...great player (or at least very good) in a 3-4, but merely average or good in a 4-3...and that's not because of sacks...because it's foolish to think he'd garner big numbers at SLB in a 4-3..but he's not shutting down TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield consistently either. There's times we don't hear much about them catching passes, but I don't know if he's done it quite enough...thoughts?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Gray is in the running to get the Rams coaching job I thought :idunno:

Marvelous
12-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Wait a minute Phi, We don't need to reflect oh his Texans, 3-4 play since he's been here for 3 seasons now..His stats are average - above, but he makes playes here & there. By no means does he have the upside that AG has.... I don't know why i'm defending him at all because i've been frustrated with his play for some time.. I'm just confused.....

-I think he is a above average OLB who refuses to step up, nor does he fall off. He is very consistent at being above average IMO... I would liek to be able to keep him cheap since we don't know for sure how TKO's body reacts yet....

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I'd like to be able to keep him as well...I'm a big proponent of a move to a 3-4 provided Spikes comes back strong..and if he doesn't, we'd be hurting if we lost Posey.
As far as his 3-4 play, I merely bring that up because quite honestly, I still see people getting on him from time to time about the sack numbers

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2005, 06:29 PM
jp-era, who is the player in the joker suit? Lindell?

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 06:38 PM
looks like TD

Iehoshua
12-28-2005, 06:40 PM

I believe it's your favorite human on the planet, none other than Tommy Dee.
;)

Captain Obvious
12-28-2005, 06:58 PM
looks like TD

Speaking of TD, the fact that Crowell got an extension, it could only be TD that gave Crowell this extension and authorized it. Meaning? Nothing? TD is still on his way out? What does this signing mean as it relates to TD? Does this mean TD is coming back? hasn't been completely stripped of his authority by Ralph?

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 07:00 PM
it means he hasn't been fired...yet

Devin
12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
I really wanna know how long its for. And what kind of money he got.

Ebenezer
12-28-2005, 07:25 PM
he would have been a RFA at the end of the year...

clumping platelets
12-28-2005, 08:06 PM
I need numbers :mad:

Devin
12-28-2005, 08:12 PM
I KNOW!!!!

gr8slayer
12-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Thank god. McGee locked. Crowell locked. Were two steps closer to glory.

Devin
12-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Next up, Peters.

Mahdi
12-28-2005, 09:30 PM
If we move to the 3-4 defense not only would we need a DT but also a DE or even 2 of them. Schobel and Kelsay cannot play DE in a 3-4 because they are not powerful enough to absorb blockers. When Dallas moved to the 3-4 they picked up players such as Marcus Spears, Chris Canty and Greg Ellis who could play DE in a 3-4. We do have the LBs though.

Tatonka
12-28-2005, 09:34 PM
yeah.. seriously, peters needs to be signed.

Novacane
12-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Gray is in the running to get the Rams coaching job I thought :idunno:

I hope he gets it

Ickybaluky
12-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Fletcher is no fit for a 3-4, where the ILB have to take on guards and fullbacks head-up because they have gap responsibility. He doesn't fit on the WS either, as that is more a pass-rusher. Spikes would be a good fit at WS ILB or WS OLB, and Crowell could probably play both those positions as well. Posey would then line up head up on the TE, although ultimately the Bills may want to find someone else to replace him in that role.

The Bills would need to sign a big, ILB who can take on blockers and stuff the run on early downs to move to the 3-4.

I'm not sure how enthused Adams would be about a move to 3-4 NT playing a 2-gap technique either, although he is well suited for that role. He has complained in the past about doing just that, although he is very good at it.

Your ends are way to small, you'd have to find some new guys there as Schoebel and Kelsey would be lost in that defense and would have to be dealt. Anderson might be able to fit in at DE, though.

Good signing by the Bills, though, the guy has played well replacing Spikes.

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Posey did ok at SOLB in Houston and with our deficiency at DT this season, Fletcher's been dealing with a lot more than a MLB should be dealing with anyway :idunno:
As far as Adams, I don't see him really sticking as the NT if we were to go that route.
On the DEs, we carried a couple of guys by the names of Smith and Hansen who weren't exactly huge weightwise...that being said, I'd like to see Justin Bannon rotate with Kelsay at LDE while Denney rotates with Schobel on the right side

Nighthawk
12-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I hope he gets it

Me too!

Demon
12-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Thank god. McGee locked. Crowell locked. Were two steps closer to glory.

2 steps of what....? A thousand?

vicmantak
12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I need numbers :mad:
I totally agree. Unless we have numbers we can know which kind of plans Bills are building.

With the fact that Bills are way behind to switch a 3-4 defense + the fact that this team is practically overpaying LBs I would say that if Crowell is paid like a starter... someone has to leave or be traded next year...

Devin
12-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Fletcher is no fit for a 3-4, where the ILB have to take on guards and fullbacks head-up because they have gap responsibility. He doesn't fit on the WS either, as that is more a pass-rusher. Spikes would be a good fit at WS ILB or WS OLB, and Crowell could probably play both those positions as well. Posey would then line up head up on the TE, although ultimately the Bills may want to find someone else to replace him in that role.

The Bills would need to sign a big, ILB who can take on blockers and stuff the run on early downs to move to the 3-4.

I'm not sure how enthused Adams would be about a move to 3-4 NT playing a 2-gap technique either, although he is well suited for that role. He has complained in the past about doing just that, although he is very good at it.

Your ends are way to small, you'd have to find some new guys there as Schoebel and Kelsey would be lost in that defense and would have to be dealt. Anderson might be able to fit in at DE, though.

Good signing by the Bills, though, the guy has played well replacing Spikes.

Agreed. We would need to sign not only a bigger LB, but for the 3-4 we would need a big time rusher at DE. Awhile back Redeye mentioned Darren Howard from the saints. I had said drafting Ngata and signing Howard (who would hardly break the bank) would be a good move in that direction.

Samphin1
12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't agree with the Fletcher thing NE39. A lot of people said the same thing about Zach Thomas, even moreso and he adapted just fine.

TedMock
12-29-2005, 11:46 AM
If we move to the 3-4 defense not only would we need a DT but also a DE or even 2 of them. Schobel and Kelsay cannot play DE in a 3-4 because they are not powerful enough to absorb blockers. When Dallas moved to the 3-4 they picked up players such as Marcus Spears, Chris Canty and Greg Ellis who could play DE in a 3-4. We do have the LBs though.

You beat me to it. You need strong DE's to run a good 3-4. Schobel would only work in that defense as a down LB a la Bryce Paup. Even then there'd be times he'd have to drop into coverage, and he most likely doesn't have the hips to that consistantly. Tim Anderson would be better in a 3-4 too. He's not that athletic on the line, but he'll grab a couple of blockers and hold his ground if that's the role he's in. I'd be interested in seeing how he does in that role. Sam Adams is still the obvious choice, but I think he's gone after this season. Ron Edwards might actually work out well in a 3-4 too. He's inconsistant, but his strength as a DT is pass rush. Maybe move him over to DE in a 3-4, and let him rush in the middle. He'll have the LB occupying the edge. All in all, it seems that our talents are more suited for a 3-4. I don't know how well Fletcher would do in that system, but Spikes and Crowell could both play any of the LB spots. Kelsay holds his own against the run, but he may be 10 lbs. too light for the 3-4 DE spot. IF that happens, I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised to see the LB's actually listed as: Crowell, Spikes, Fletcher, Schobel.

madness
12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I'd rather switch to a full time cover 2 defense. I think we have the players for the system and the three teams using it are among the top defenses in the league this year. There's actually a good read on ESPN about it.

Cover 2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514)

madness
12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
I'd rather switch to a full time cover 2 defense. I think we have the players for the system and the three teams using it are among the top defenses in the league this year. There's actually a good read on ESPN about it.

Cover 2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514)

In fact if we still had Big Pat, I'd say we would have been a perfect fit for it.