PDA

View Full Version : Bills Players Beginning to Back Holcomb

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/football/3552956.html

Awarded the starting job in February, Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman might have to compete with journeyman Kelly Holcomb to get it back next year.

ArcticWildMan
12-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Great. ANOTHER QB controversy thanks to Mularkey. Dumb ass.

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2005, 08:41 PM
"Mularkey said it's unfair to compare the two players because Holcomb has a big edge in experience."

:shocked:

Michael82
12-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Great. ANOTHER QB controversy thanks to Mularkey. Dumb ass.
I know. Isn't it great? If Mularkey just left everything alone when he named Losman the starter and let him take the 16 games to develop...everything would be okay. And JP Losman would have some experience which he desperately needs. Or he could have had an open QB competition at camp and have the better one win, if Holcomb wins, then so be it. Now he bungled the QB position worse than Wade Phillips did and he should be fired for it, just like Wade was. :mad:

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
It's not Mularkey's fault that JP sucks. Face it, he sucks. Perhaps he will improve, but he sucks right now.

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
And apparantly he's a cocky a-hole.

ArcticWildMan
12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Look at the Giants for an example of how a good coach handles a rookie QB. Eli struggled last year but they stuck with him. Now it's paying huge dividends.

Sadly, we won't be able to say the same as long as dumbass Mularkey is here.

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Look at the Giants for an example of how a good coach handles a rookie QB. Eli struggled last year but they stuck with him. Now it's paying huge dividends.

Eli isn't that good this year either. He's not the difference between last year and this year. Tiki is.

Michael82
12-28-2005, 08:53 PM

Great post! :bf1:

I was thinking of Eli Manning the other day when I thought of this situation. It's eerie how similar the situations are. The only difference is that they got a good coach who made a smart decision and chose to stick with his rookie QB, instead of changing his mind worse than John Kerry.

I wanted to give Mike "Full of" Mularkey a chance, but he has really pissed me off with the way he's handled this QB mess.

Michael82
12-28-2005, 08:54 PM
It's not Mularkey's fault that JP sucks. Face it, he sucks. Perhaps he will improve, but he sucks right now.
He does not suck. He's inexperienced and the only way he gets better is if he gets the reps and experience. Mularkey isn't willing to do that. So we will never know what we have with JP Losman until Mularkey gets some ****ing patience. :mad:

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
See my post above. Any Giants fan will tell you that Eli blows.

LtBillsFan66
12-28-2005, 08:56 PM
He does not suck. He's inexperienced and the only way he gets better is if he gets the reps and experience. Mularkey isn't willing to do that. So we will never know what we have with JP Losman until Mularkey gets some ****ing patience. :mad:
I don't have patience when we have a viable option in Holcomb.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2005, 08:56 PM
yes it is, because he is failing to play him and get him EXP.....

DynaPaul
12-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Have you watched any Giants games this year? Eli Manning can't throw a spiral to save himself and loves tossing picks like Brett Favre during the game. He's no Peyton that's for sure.

L.A. Playa
12-28-2005, 08:59 PM
my name is Buck and I dont give a ****

Michael82
12-28-2005, 09:03 PM
yes it is, because he is failing to play him and get him EXP.....
EXACTLY!

Michael82
12-28-2005, 09:03 PM
viable option? Come on! Holcomb is not the answer either. He's not going to take this team to the promised land. He's been a backup all his life and there's a reason for that.

Bill Brasky
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Great post! :bf1:

I was thinking of Eli Manning the other day when I thought of this situation. It's eerie how similar the situations are. The only difference is that they got a good coach who made a smart decision and chose to stick with his rookie QB, instead of changing his mind worse than John Kerry.

I wanted to give Mike "Full of" Mularkey a chance, but he has really pissed me off with the way he's handled this QB mess.
Except Manning is way overrated because he plays in NY.

You haven't had to watch him every Sunday... he's not that good. He single-handedly has lost them a few games and should have lost them a few more had it not been for a good supporting cast.

The differences between he and JP -- Tiki Barber is a good RB, and Willis McGahee thinks he's good. Tom Coughlin can coach, Mike Mularkey can cause problems

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2005, 09:12 PM
viable option? Come on! Holcomb is not the answer either. He's not going to take this team to the promised land. He's been a backup all his life and there's a reason for that.
For once I agree with Mike! Holcomb is a journeyman at best and has never put a whole season of good play together when he has been given the chance. He definitly has a monster game in him here and there but is not consistant. I would almost go for starting him next year if everything else was in place but this team is a freaking disaster so why hasn't JP been playing so we can tell for sure if he is the answer or not.

The_Philster
12-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Holcomb was better than Couch...but JP's shown some signs he could be something special at QB....I'd kinda like to have the best possible QB in there...and this team isn't ready just yet for the promised land

Turf
12-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Regardless of who we have really, without an offensive line they have no chance. And I also think McGahee is going to be a bust unless he loses some weight and get's his head screwed on right. He has shown me nothing this year, nothing. He's easily outclassed by Tiki, LT, and a host of other running backs that have speed, power, and moves. Willis shows me none of that. He runs north and south, has no cutting ability, never breaks a tackle, never breaks a long run, has never outrun anyone as far as I can remember, sucks at the goaline and in short yardage situations, can't catch, and really is amazing that he has any yardage at all.
So lets count up the 1st round busts. Drew, Losman, Williams, and McGahee. Nice resume for a loser of a front office.

ublinkwescore
12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
my name is Buck and I dont give a ****

that was creative.

Michael82
12-28-2005, 09:25 PM
why hasn't JP been playing so we can tell for sure if he is the answer or not.

Because Mike Mularkey is a moron and thinks that if he can win these last two games (He believes that Holcomb gives him the better chance to win), he can save his job and the sad thing is, he's probably right. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Willis is the fastest RB to 2000 yards in Bills history. Hardly a bust
If you already classify Losman a bust you must have some kind of crystal ball
Drew was a gutsy move that didn't really pay off
Williams is a total Joke....though probably most teams at that point of the draft in need of OT help would have picked him as well.

Turf
12-28-2005, 09:32 PM
I was for the Williams pick, so I'm guilty as well.
I was also for Drew coming here.
McGahee was just shocking.
Losman was not needed.
But however you want to cut it, you have to put the pieces together to help Drew and/or Losman/McGhee to succeed, an offensive line. One tackle isn't enough. Our best lineman at current time may be an undrafted converted TE.
Regardless I'm telling you McGahee is done. That's my cystal ball predicition. If he hasn't made a cut or outrun someone yet, he never will.

STAMPY
12-28-2005, 09:37 PM
you guys are idiots. what makes you think JP is taking us anywhere. Bottomline Holcomb a so called journey man- back up QB... GAVE US OUR BEST CHANCE TO WIN THIS SEASON. No joke. Watch the games. I don't give a ****. The guy that gives us best chance to win every sunday plays. This is not a really young team. Lots of Vets. There was no reason to hand JP the job. It should have been earned in camp. And it better be earned in camp next year too. I hope JP does EARN the job. He is young and has a lot of potential. But Bottomline the best dog wears my chain.

I think Holcomb stepped in very well for a journeyman. But i also hope JP outclasses him. But i do not blame, Mularkey for switching QBs. Sent JP a message. You better work hard and improve or this job will be a short job.

Dozerdog
12-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Here's a novel thought-

Let performance on the field determine who's the starter.

vicmantak
12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
It's really sad how many of us are focusing this topic.
Numbers, experience and LEADERSHIP talk by itself and to be frank, it's not difficult to understand why Bills players are backing Holcomb.

Are we really Bills fans?
Are we trying to bench someone who made the best passing performance in 45 games!
Are we trying to encourage more experiments?

Please stop this kind of detrimental comments. I start wonder if this kind of message boards are really possitive for us. It's really sad to see how mediocrity could be spread so easily.

Turf
12-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Regardless of how you cut it Vic, we drafted a QB with a 1st round pick, broke his leg the first year, the 2nd year we pull him for two absolutely meaningless end of season games. There is no reason he shouldn't be playing at all if healthy. None.
So essentially we wasted another 1st round pick, and really never gave him a fair shot.
The powers that be drafted him, we didn't. The powers that be are now sitting him with absolutely nothing to gain by doing so. The powers that be are total morons.

Bmax
12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
only in buffalo would this be a qb controvresy.....

Mularkey started this mess.. just like gomer....phillips

Let's just wait and see .. i hope losman kicks his butt in training camp...

ScottLawrence
12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I know. Isn't it great? If Mularkey just left everything alone when he named Losman the starter and let him take the 16 games to develop...everything would be okay. And JP Losman would have some experience which he desperately needs. Or he could have had an open QB competition at camp and have the better one win, if Holcomb wins, then so be it. Now he bungled the QB position worse than Wade Phillips did and he should be fired for it, just like Wade was. :mad:

Everything would be ok?

Not for himself.

Mularkey, along with a lot of the veterans on this team would be out of a job, had he left everything alone.

MM made the move to Holcomb to save his ass, can you blame him?

And, he might've just done that.

Turf
12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Everything would be ok?
Not for himself.
Mularkey, along with a lot of the veterans on this team would be out of a job, had he left everything alone.

Proving that Mularkey is not a team player, but a self absorbed *******. All Mike cares about is Mike, which just adds to his stupidity level, which is astronomical. Mikes' looking out for Mike, not the Buffalo Bills. Just look at his play calling for verification.
Mike can go away and take up stand up comedy where he belongs.

Michael82
12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Everything would be ok?

Not for himself.

Want a bet? If Mularkey left Losman as the starter, his job would have been safe. We wouldn't be talking about wanting him fired as much as we do now and we would put our attention on TD for drafting Losman in the first place and putting blame on Losman himself.

We started out the season knowing that we have a young QB that needed to take his bumps and bruises. When they cut Bledsoe and decided to start Losman, they told us that this was going to be a year where the team takes a step back to take a step forward. The problem was the high expectations that many people had. Even with Losman as the starter, many people still expected playoffs. They shouldnt have. They should have been fine with just letting the rookie QB develop and taking this as a kind of rebuilding year.

ScottLawrence
12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Proving that Mularkey is not a team player, but a self absorbed *******. All Mike cares about is Mike, which just adds to his stupidity level, which is astronomical. Mikes' looking out for Mike, not the Buffalo Bills. Just look at his play calling for verification.
Mike can go away and take up stand up comedy where he belongs.

Put your self in his shoes.

Your 4-10, JP's playing horrible, your really getting killed by both the press, and your fans, you need Wins to save your job.

Can you blame him?

Or can you honestly say that you would've continued playing JP Losman, most likely end the season at 4-12, and get fired?

Im with Mike on this one, I try and save the job I love, rather then worry about some kid developing that I won't be around to see.

Michael82
12-28-2005, 10:23 PM
only in buffalo would this be a qb controvresy.....

Mularkey started this mess.. just like gomer....phillips

Let's just wait and see .. i hope losman kicks his butt in training camp...
Good post, man! :posrep:

ScottLawrence
12-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Want a bet? If Mularkey left Losman as the starter, his job would have been safe. We wouldn't be talking about wanting him fired as much as we do now and we would put our attention on TD for drafting Losman in the first place and putting blame on Losman himself.
We started out the season knowing that we have a young QB that needed to take his bumps and bruises. When they cut Bledsoe and decided to start Losman, they told us that this was going to be a year where the team takes a step back to take a step forward. The problem was the high expectations that many people had. Even with Losman as the starter, many people still expected playoffs. They shouldnt have. They should have been fine with just letting the rookie QB develop and taking this as a kind of rebuilding year.

Your saying the team should've been fine with losing?

Sounds like a horrible plan to me.

And no, the front office fed us BS that this team could win with defense, and special teams, and mostly everyone bought it.

Which put more pressure on Mularkey, and the team to win this year with essentially a rookie quarterback.

Michael82
12-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Your saying the team should've been fine with losing?

Sounds like a horrible plan to me.

And no, the front office fed us BS that this team could win with defense, and special teams, and mostly everyone bought it.

Which put more pressure on Mularkey, and the team to win this year with essentially a rookie quarterback.
Blame the coach for that. It was his mess that he created when he named JP Losman the starter back in March.

We thought that we were going to be developing JP Losman this year and doing what Cincy did with Carson Palmer and what the Giants did with Eli Manning. We had to take our bumps and bruises some time and thats why they did that. If you look at, it was wrong. Mularkey should have had a competition in the Spring and if Losman wins, he deserves the job, if he doesnt...then Holcomb gets it and you can try to get Losman as many reps as possible thruout the season.

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Viable as in 3-3? I don't want to be another .500 also-ran team that barely makes the playoffs once in a while. I want nothing less than an SB championship and KH is not going to lead us there. Well, maybe if we had Belichick as coach, LT at RB, C. Johnson/M. Harrison at WR and the entire colts oline. Oh, and the Bears D too.

JP may not pan out but you have to play him to know if that's the case. Starting KH just pushes out the time when we will begin to move forward, either w/ JP or another QB. KH is simply not a starter...he is a solid career backup.

Turf
12-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Put your self in his shoes.
Your 4-10, JP's playing horrible, your really getting killed by both the press, and your fans, you need Wins to save your job.
Can you blame him?
Or can you honestly say that you would've continued playing JP Losman, most likely end the season at 4-12, and get fired?
Im with Mike on this one, I try and save the job I love, rather then worry about some kid developing that I won't be around to see.

If I'm in his shoes I play JP. It proves I have character to do the right thing in spite of myself.
Secondly, JP getting hurt because he has no offensive line is not his fault. He threw 3 TD's in the 1st quarter against Miami. After that, the genius of a head coach made mistakes that lost that game.
JP has not played that bad recently and has improved. At this point in time this is a preseason game. There is no reason not to give him experience and see what he has.
We either replace JP next year or play him, but we don't under any circumstance go with KH as our starter.

kinigirly
12-28-2005, 10:53 PM
before the season started TD said to not expect the playoffs or anything great this year, that this is a dry run for next year. obviously referring to the production of JP and other rookies. i don't understand why we all of a sudden changed our minds during the season and said **** it. stick to the plan *******

Michael82
12-28-2005, 10:56 PM
before the season started TD said to not expect the playoffs or anything great this year, that this is a dry run for next year. obviously referring to the production of JP and other rookies. i don't understand why we all of a sudden changed our minds during the season and said **** it. stick to the plan *******
Excellent post! :bf1:

I was wondering the same thing myself. and if you check polls and stuff...people were in support of keeping Losman as the starter. When Mularkey benched Losman in favor of Holcomb, he said that the plan has changed and that it's playoffs of bust. Well, guess what? They busted! So he should be fired!

STAMPY
12-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Here's a novel thought-

:bf1:

ArcticWildMan
12-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Here's a novel thought-

So would you have sat Peyton Manning down after winning only 3 games his first year? Peyton stunk things up his first year and could have been easily replaced by any journeyman QB based upon your criteria.

Like it or not rookie QB's have to be allowed time to learn the system. We gave up on that philosophy this year and we are poised to endure a QB controversy well into next year now.

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
So would you have sat Peyton Manning down after winning only 3 games his first year? Peyton stunk things up his first year and could have been easily replaced by any journeyman QB based upon your criteria.

Like it or not rookie QB's have to be allowed time to learn the system. We gave up on that philosophy this year and we are poised to endure a QB controversy well into next year now.

:bf1:

feelthepain
12-28-2005, 11:56 PM
I think taking JP was a mistake by the Bills, just another bad choice by TD not MM. You can say what you like about MM, but if the whole team wants Holcomb to start, then what MM to do??? If JP were winning I could see the playing JP but he's not. It's not a very hard decision for MM.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Eli isn't that good this year either. He's not the difference between last year and this year. Tiki is.

I agree 100% Tiki bird isn't fumbling the football as he did the last two years Coughlin really has taught him to hold the ball right.

jmb1099
12-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Ok, seirously, I don't personally know anyone of you here so when I make some of the comments I'm about to make please understand that nothing is personal.
FTP: Congrats on having a better season than we did and better than I thought you guys would have...your backfield should be a force to be reckoned with next year.
For those who think KH should be playing now...why? For what purpose? To win a meaningless game? Winning against the Jets isn't going to restore our pride or our respect. Let Losman take his lumps and lets see who he really is. And next year lets have a traing camp comp but lets get some guys in here who are real competitors. I think JP has the ability to play decent ball, but KH is not the guy to push him, pressure him, or even mentor him to a professional level. So let JP take his lumps and lets get on with it.
Coaching...if the players are managing the team then the coaching staff isn't doing its job period. One of the coach's job requirements is to have the team ready to play, nothing should be permitted to have more importance than winning football games, including players personal opinions and relationships.
Playcalling...No controveresy here our playcalling has been awful but...even the worst plays can be executed successfully if two elements are present: heart and discipline. We are one of the most heartless and undisciplined teams in the NFL period.
Running game...since WM hass decided not to run it makes it very easy for opposing defenses to t-off on whoever is behind center. Best back in the league? Not this year and never to be unless his work ethic drasticaly improves.
Defense... we have some playmakers, but too inconsistent to be respected. It appears that Dick LeBeau and Greg Williams were the real master minds behind our strond defenses.
So there are many problems here that need to be addressed, but since these problems exist, and our team is not ready for post season contention yet, why not start jp? Oh well back to coaching problems...

The_Philster
12-29-2005, 03:13 AM

Yep..under those criteria Holcomb should've had the starting job in Indy in 1998

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-31-2005, 12:27 AM
So letting Holcomb compete with Losman for the starting job in training camp next season is a popular idea in the locker room.

"I think Kelly has played well," tight end Mark Campbell said. "I think he deserves to be credited with that, and I think he deserves to get his fair shot at it."
"He's comfortable - that's the main thing," Campbell said. "J.P. will be there eventually, but right now Kelly is. He's a comfortable guy in there. He's a confident leader, a natural leader. . . . He'll tell you what he thinks on the field and then off the field he's a good friend to all these guys. So he's really well liked in the locker room, and that goes a long way."

"I think competition is good," said receiver Eric Moulds. "I had competition when I first came in. I wasn't given a starting job. I had to compete and beat out Quinn Early, a veteran player. So it pushes you to get better and get better fast."

"You look at Kelly's performance, look at the statistics," linebacker London Fletcher said, "and even in the losses we've had, when you look at Kelly behind center he's proven he can be a starting quarterback in the NFL week in and week out, and definitely a starter for us."
http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051229/1033967.asp

HAMMER
12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Regardless of who we have really, without an offensive line they have no chance. And I also think McGahee is going to be a bust unless he loses some weight and get's his head screwed on right. He has shown me nothing this year, nothing. He's easily outclassed by Tiki, LT, and a host of other running backs that have speed, power, and moves. Willis shows me none of that. He runs north and south, has no cutting ability, never breaks a tackle, never breaks a long run, has never outrun anyone as far as I can remember, sucks at the goaline and in short yardage situations, can't catch, and really is amazing that he has any yardage at all.
So lets count up the 1st round busts. Drew, Losman, Williams, and McGahee. Nice resume for a loser of a front office.

Can you call a QB that has started 6-7 games a bust? Come on man, get a grip. It takes time to learn to play the hardest position in sports, certainly more than a half a season.

tat2dmike77
12-31-2005, 01:51 PM

Finally someone gets it. Holcomb is a glorified backup. Come on guys remember the last back up that came into buffalo how did that work out? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'm so tired of hearing how JP is a bust. It just makes me wanna :blowup: i mean he has only played in what ten games. Now that makes hima bust. Have we lost our way? Is our patience completly gone? Holcomb was brought here for one reason. To be a back up. Nothing more Nothing Less

But because MM wants to try and save some face he flips flops. I'll be honest i would have mre respect for MM if he would of stuck it out with JP for the whole season. At least that way he could say something like "Well the kid has a whole season of experience under his belt"

Atleast that way i could feel a little better about MM and his tactics. Instead i feel like were being blinded. Like the organization thinks all of us fans our ******s. I feel like i'm :deadhorse here but holcomb is a back up and thats al he'l ever be.

ScottLawrence
12-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Viable as in 3-3? I don't want to be another .500 also-ran team that barely makes the playoffs once in a while. I want nothing less than an SB championship and KH is not going to lead us there. Well, maybe if we had Belichick as coach, LT at RB, C. Johnson/M. Harrison at WR and the entire colts oline. Oh, and the Bears D too.

JP may not pan out but you have to play him to know if that's the case. Starting KH just pushes out the time when we will begin to move forward, either w/ JP or another QB. KH is simply not a starter...he is a solid career backup.

How the hell do you know?

KH just lead us to a victory over a AFC conference contendor, in there house.

And looked good doing so.

His numbers this year suggest he is more then a career backup.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2005, 02:36 PM
How the hell do you know?

KH just lead us to a victory over a AFC conference contendor, in there house.

And looked good doing so.

His numbers this year suggest he is more then a career backup.

There's a reason some people are clueless. It's because they don't have a clue.

JP was a terrible Draft pick and he's played terribl the whole year, except for 3 Qtrs.

Some people just love rooting for a loser.