PDA

View Full Version : Check out the Age Factor!!!

jpdex12
12-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Gees, I didn't realize how old some of our starters are.

We will have some glaring holes to fill sooner rather then later.

Check out the ages of a significant group of our starters. We will need to fill some crucial positions other than o-line and d-line in this year's draft.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1 align=middle></TD><TD class=r1>Adams, Sam (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=81468)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>DT</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-4</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>335</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>12</TD><TD class=r1>Texas A&M</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Milloy, Lawyer (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=4940)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>S</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-0</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>190</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>10</TD><TD class=r2>Washington</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Moulds, Eric (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=4738)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>WR</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-2</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>210</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>10</TD><TD class=r2>Mississippi State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1>Posey, Jeff (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5458)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>LB</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-4</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>241</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>30</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>8</TD><TD class=r1>Southern Mississippi</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Shelton, Daimon (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122456)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>FB</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-0</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>262</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>33</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>8</TD><TD class=r2>Sacramento State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1>Teague, Trey (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5990)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>OL</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-5</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>300</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>31</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>8</TD><TD class=r1>Tennessee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Villarrial, Chris (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5306)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>OL</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-3</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>318</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>10</TD><TD class=r2>Indiana(Pa)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1>Vincent, Troy (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5992)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>S</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>200</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>34</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>14</TD><TD class=r1>Wisconsin</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Holcomb, Kelly (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122593)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>QB</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-2</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>212</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>9</TD><TD class=r2>Middle Tennessee State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Matthews, Shane (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122566)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>QB</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-3</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>199</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>35</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>12</TD><TD class=r2>Florida</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As of now, we have the option of keeping these guys and using them to play next year, but we will have to be thinking about filling their positions this year so we are not relying on a player with no experience to fill a gap. Obviously we have Baker to help fill Vincent's position, but is he ready. We also have Preston to fill Teague or Villarial's position, but one of them will have to be filled with a new player. We will have Kelly next year, but will JP be ready and who will be our 3rd QB? Who will fill Mould's position if he leaves?

Plenty of questions to think about and voids to fill during FA and the draft this upcoming offseason.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 09:22 AM
of those, Milloy and Vincent are the biggest concern because their position relies the most on speed. One of them needs to go and be replaced by a younger FA or else we're screwed.

If Mularkey stays, Adams is gone.

Reggie Wayne is available if Moulds leaves- not perfect but probably the best affordable option. Ideally Moulds will restructure so he doesn't count $11 million against the cap, but I doubt that will happen since he just restructured last year.

Holcomb and Matthews aren't going anywhere (unless Matthews decided to retire). The age thing isn't that important due to their roles on this team.

Villarial and Teague just suck. The team already drafted Preston, who can hopefully step up damn soon. We need O-linemen anyway.

It's time to start grooming replacements for Shelton and Posey and while I'd like to see FA's or draft picks fill these roles, this team has more pressing needs. Maybe bring in young cheap FA's or something- the important thing here is doing something that will set us up well for the future.

jpdex12
12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
I would love to pick up Wayne. My thread was simply to show that we have plenty of areas to be working on and we will have to see how this 2006 draft and off season measure up to the needs that we have. How durable is a 33 year old QB? Or a 33 year old FB? IMO, We do not have many good backups in most positions.

gr8slayer
12-29-2005, 09:56 AM
We look like the freaking Miami Dolphins. Half our starters will be ready for canes and walkers soon.

Patrick76777
12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Gees, I didn't realize how old some of our starters are.

We will have some glaring holes to fill sooner rather then later.

Check out the ages of a significant group of our starters. We will need to fill some crucial positions other than o-line and d-line in this year's draft.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1 align=middle></TD><TD class=r1>Adams, Sam (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=81468)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>DT</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-4</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>335</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>12</TD><TD class=r1>Texas A&M</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Milloy, Lawyer (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=4940)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>S</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-0</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>190</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>10</TD><TD class=r2>Washington</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Moulds, Eric (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=4738)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>WR</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-2</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>210</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>10</TD><TD class=r2>Mississippi State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1>Posey, Jeff (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5458)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>LB</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-4</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>241</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>30</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>8</TD><TD class=r1>Southern Mississippi</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Shelton, Daimon (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122456)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>FB</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-0</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>262</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>33</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>8</TD><TD class=r2>Sacramento State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1>Teague, Trey (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5990)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>OL</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-5</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>300</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>31</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>8</TD><TD class=r1>Tennessee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Villarrial, Chris (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5306)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>OL</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-3</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>318</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>10</TD><TD class=r2>Indiana(Pa)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r1>Vincent, Troy (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5992)</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>S</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>200</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>34</TD><TD class=r1 align=middle>14</TD><TD class=r1>Wisconsin</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Holcomb, Kelly (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122593)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>QB</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-2</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>212</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>32</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>9</TD><TD class=r2>Middle Tennessee State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=r2>Matthews, Shane (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122566)</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>QB</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>6-3</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>199</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>35</TD><TD class=r2 align=middle>12</TD><TD class=r2>Florida</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As of now, we have the option of keeping these guys and using them to play next year, but we will have to be thinking about filling their positions this year so we are not relying on a player with no experience to fill a gap. Obviously we have Baker to help fill Vincent's position, but is he ready. We also have Preston to fill Teague or Villarial's position, but one of them will have to be filled with a new player. We will have Kelly next year, but will JP be ready and who will be our 3rd QB? Who will fill Mould's position if he leaves?

Plenty of questions to think about and voids to fill during FA and the draft this upcoming offseason.

So we're talking about 10 players!

1 is a FB that could be replaced in about 2 seconds.
1 is our 3rd string QB
1 is our part time QB that 50% of the fan base want off the team
1 is a LB who is sure to be cut at the end of the season.

That leaves 6 players. And of them, only 1 is over 32. And that's Troy Vincent who looked awful slow running across half the field to pick off the great Carson Palmer last week.

I've got to be honest with you, the fact that we only have 5 players over 32 and only one of them figures to be a major part of the team next year, makes us a pretty young team. You'd be hard pressed to find another team with better numbers.

Of the remaining 5 players,

Moulds is a Superstar and will show it for another team if we make the monumental mistake of cutting him.

Adams can be a superstar if he's motivated (winning motivates)

Milloy is a very good player and can be a very good saftey for at least another 4 years. Rodney Harrison is 33 and everybody on this board would take this guy.

Teague and Villarrial are both serviceable O-linemen. I love how people think that you need 5 superstars on the line. One, if not both of these guys, could be on a very good O-line as long as the right personal was around them. O-linemen can play forever.

Earthquake Enyart
12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
I agree with everything Pat says except for Milloy. I think he's about done.

gr8slayer
12-29-2005, 10:14 AM
I agree with everything Pat says except for Milloy. I think he's about done.
I pretty much agree. He is no longer a threat in any way. The injuries seem to have caught up.

Spiderweb
12-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Milloy may not be done, but he's clearly lost a step. Time will do that even without injuries. Vincent has disappointed me considerably. he should have been able to make the transition far better than he has, and I agree with others that he seems a bit slow footed as well. Again, no one escapes father time.

Lastly, the Reggie Wayne stuff has "Peerless Price" written all over it. I could be wrong, but he seems to me to be far more a product of being on a team that does have an outstanding number one guy (Harrison), and solid and quick slot guy (Stokely), along with a TE (Clark) that actually gets involved in the passing game. Then there's also the Edge who is involved as well, in addition to still being a very effective runner.

I say pass on Wayne. Look elsewhere (unless Evans is ready to be number 1, Reed doubles his improvement form this year to next, Everett turns out to be a very solid TE in the passing game and WM becomes the runner he wants to believe he is).

Samphin1
12-29-2005, 10:49 AM
And you guys said Miami looked old! :lol: Seau, Traylor, Zgonina and possibly Madison will all be replaced or have been replaced with younger, cheaper talent. I really do think that come 2006, Miami's defense will be a whole lot younger on average. Younger than Buffalo's anyway.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 12:40 PM
1 is our 3rd string QB
That leaves 6 players. And of them, only 1 is over 32. And that's Troy Vincent who looked awful slow running across half the field to pick off the great Carson Palmer last week.
I've got to be honest with you, the fact that we only have 5 players over 32 and only one of them figures to be a major part of the team next year, makes us a pretty young team. You'd be hard pressed to find another team with better numbers.
Moulds is a Superstar and will show it for another team if we make the monumental mistake of cutting him.
Milloy is a very good player and can be a very good saftey for at least another 4 years. Rodney Harrison is 33 and everybody on this board would take this guy.
Teague and Villarrial are both serviceable O-linemen. I love how people think that you need 5 superstars on the line. One, if not both of these guys, could be on a very good O-line as long as the right personal was around them. O-linemen can play forever.

10 players, 9 of whom are currently STARTERS. And you're giving way too much credit to Moulds. He's been nothing short of average for the last 3 seasons. You keep saying TD is being cheap- paying 11 million for Moulds is just stupid. Good teams pay their star players, but their star players PERFORM like stars. Paying Randy Moss that much money is worth it, but not Eric Moulds at this point in his career.

jpdex12
12-29-2005, 08:03 PM

1 is our 3rd string QB

Op is hearing me. 9 of these players are starters! We lost 2 starters on defense this year (Williams and Spikes) and look at what our "d" did.
I love this team, but we need a lot of help.

Adams has a problem with pouring it on all game long.

Posey lacks steady play ability.

No guarentee that Spikes will recover to pre-injury condition.

Milloy has not shown the play that he had in New England. He has been burned on very noticable pass coverage.

Vincent has been a big disappointment.

We most likely will lose a great back-up in Crowell, but it will be for a good reason as he should start over Posey. After the contract extension Posey is gone unless he accepts vet minimum and a back-up role.

Tim Andersen has played like a back-up.

Positives:

Fletcher is a beast and still has gas left in the tank.

Spikes is still a burst of energy to this team even when injured.

Nate dropped off some, but he can still play consistantly. Everyone loses a few plays every now and then.

McGee is a shining player at his position.

Our DE play has been adequate.

This is just defense, but this team needs to bring in some talent to shore up a few back-up positions and/or improve the starting positions...both DT positions, SS and FS.

jpdex12
12-29-2005, 08:16 PM

1 is our 3rd string QB

Pat,

Not just any FB off of the street can punch through a brick wall like Shelton can when the line blocks for them.

We will lose Shane to retirement and we will still need a 3rd stringer even if Holcomb starts next year.

Moulds is a goner, enough said about him. We may be lacking a number one receiver if Evans cannot fill the hole. What rookie or FA that will be available in 2006 will be able to play a number one spot?

Adams is a goner, enough said about him. We need a stud DT and will need two of them like Pat and Sam in 2004 if we want to regain the run stop ability.

Milloy is playing like an average SS. On big pass plays when the game is on the line, he has crumled.

Suprise for ya, Teague and Villarial are not on a good line, our line sucks other than the pleasant suprise in Peters and decent play from Gandy. The other guys on our line have played no better than back-ups. We need stud starters in there. That is clear!

I'm not being a pesamist, I'm just looking at this as it stands right now. If I were a GM, these are glaring holes that need filling.