PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who say "we play to win"....

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
If the Jets lose, there's a good chance they'll end up with the number 1 draft pick. Please explain to me why one regular season win in a 5-10 season is worth the headache of playing Reggie Bush twice a season for the next decade.

When he shreds us for 250 yards and 3 TD's in his first game against us next season, what will you think about that glorious victory then?

AngryTeste
12-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Shutup, and win the game. As long as Herm Edwards is our coach and Bradway our GM, we will find a way to lose.

STAMPY
12-29-2005, 01:38 PM
CAUSE. i don't cheer for losses. the jets won't get the pick. i'd bet you 100 bucks.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 01:42 PM
CAUSE. i don't cheer for losses. the jets won't get the pick. i'd bet you 100 bucks.

I didn't say you had to cheer for it.

If I bet $100 and lost, my Puerto Rican wife will stab me.

If San Fransisco beats Houston, the Jets can't get the #1 pick. So you'd basically be betting on SF not to choke. That's not a good bet.

Romes
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
If San Fransisco beats Houston, the Jets can't get the #1 pick. So you'd basically be betting on SF not to choke. That's not a good bet.

Betting for Houston to win isn't a good bet either.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Betting for Houston to win isn't a good bet either.
no but why take the chance when having Reggie Bush in our division is at stake?

BAM
12-29-2005, 01:49 PM
GO BUFFALO.

I hope we crush them.

We can deal with savior-Bush later. For now I hope we creamate the Jets.

Das_Bills
12-29-2005, 01:50 PM
GO BUFFALO.

:goodpost:

STAMPY
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
im with bam. i dont care about reggie "bust" bush

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
GO BUFFALO.

I hope we crush them.

We can deal with savior-Bush later. For now I hope we creamate the Jets.

see, to me this is short-sighted. Do you go out and buy a $4000 plasma tv on a store credit card with a 25% interest rate and say "We can deal with how to pay for it later. For now, I want to watch the Super Bowl in high-def."

Even that's a bad example because when it's over you still have the TV. If we win, we'll relish the victory for a few days then it will be meaningless, but the Reggie Bush headaches could last a decade or more.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
also, BAM- you didn't answer the question. Why is a victory in a lame-duck season worth playing Reggie Bush twice a year for the forseeable future?

tat2dmike77
12-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I'll take a quote from Flavor Flav here to open this.

"DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE!"

So many times in college football we have heard the next best thing. Players making other teams look well ridonkulous. So many times have we heard this kid is gonna be the next....you take your pick on whatever name. Yet so many times we have all seen it. BUST! Yes bush is a good player and what he does at USC is well ridonkulous at times. But do you really think he can do that against NFL teams every week. Let's remember this not many NFL teams are like oh i dunno Fresno st, Oregon, Oregon st or whatever small time team USC is playing at the time. Remember most college teams don't put many people in the NFL. Bush well i wish the best for him in the NFL but he doesn't scare me at all. I could care less what team he is on. Who knows he could be the next emmit smith :nervous: or the next brian bosworth :lmao: . But either way who cares it's not like he is going to automatically make the jets better. They have old man O-line a QB that can't stay healthy and sub par defense. Just remember this 6 and 10 is better then 5 11 in my world how about yours? :jetsuck:

Mudflap1
12-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Reggie Bush will probably be a very good NFL player. So what? There are lots of really good NFL players out there that we play week in and week out. You can't base your entire team's methodology around a player a team might draft the next season. Bush is similar to Marshall Faulk. We played Marshall Faulk 2x a year, and I don't remember the Bills players wanting to not play the game because they were so terrified. He's just a player. Let's not forget that up until this season, Curtis Martin was one of the greatest running backs in NFL history. I don't recall everyone shaking in their boots whenever the Jets came to town.

You play to win.

Jon

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Well right now Buffalo is the Fresno St/Oregon/Oregon State of the NFL. Look at what Cadillac Williams did for the Bucs before his injury.

6-10 is better but it's a cost/benefit to me. The benefit is being 6-10 vs 5-11. The cost is playing a guy who could be the next Tomlinson twice a season. IMO the benefits do not justify the costs at all.

If we were 9-6 and on the brink of the playoffs, it would be an entirely different story- the draft would be a complete afterthought to making the playoffs, and a playoff berth would ABSOLUTELY be worth the Jets getting the #1 pick. But one less loss in a sorry season? I don't think so.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Reggie Bush will probably be a very good NFL player. So what? There are lots of really good NFL players out there that we play week in and week out. You can't base your entire team's methodology around a player a team might draft the next season. Bush is similar to Marshall Faulk. We played Marshall Faulk 2x a year, and I don't remember the Bills players wanting to not play the game because they were so terrified. He's just a player. Let's not forget that up until this season, Curtis Martin was one of the greatest running backs in NFL history. I don't recall everyone shaking in their boots whenever the Jets came to town.

You play to win.

Jon

entire methodology? I'm talking about one game in a pathetic season.

And for the record, I can count on one hand the number of times this team played to win this season. Now that there's finally a benefit to losing, you want them to come through? :rolleyes:

Mudflap1
12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I agree in principle that there is no material difference between 6-10 and 5-11. However, you are not in this business to say "okay guys, even though we play 16 games a season, this season we are going to play 15, and I want you to lay down and not even try this last game so that the Jets don't get Reggie Bush next year. After all, you've sucked to the extreme this season to the point where we are 5-10, why not just mail it in early so we can all hit the Bahamas?"

Sorry, I just don't buy that methodology. There are 16 games. Whether you are good or bad, you play to win every single one of them.

Jon

Iehoshua
12-29-2005, 02:22 PM
This thread is talking like Reggie Bush is guaranteed to be the next Walter Payton AND that he'll run for 1000 yards on the Bills every game.

Why worry? Remember the tragedy of Ricky Williams going to Miami and facing him twice a year? That didn't exactly pan out either, did it?

What seems to be suggested here, throwing the game on purpose to hurt the Jets draft pick, is downright silly, no two ways about it.

Mudflap1
12-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm also not going to argue that the team may or may not have been prepared enough to the point in certain games where their performance showed a lack of focus/heart/determination. Still though, idealogically speaking, if you are on this football team and have any heart or pride, you go out every Sunday to win.

Jon

Iehoshua
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
There are also many variables to deal with. Say the Jets pick 2nd and get Leinhart, or 3rd and get "Super Player" and Leinhart or "Super Player" dominate the Bills? Then we'd be wishing they'd have gotten a different pick.

Point is, it's illogical to suggest the team lose on purpose.

OpIv37
12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
This thread is talking like Reggie Bush is guaranteed to be the next Walter Payton AND that he'll run for 1000 yards on the Bills every game.
Why worry? Remember the tragedy of Ricky Williams going to Miami and facing him twice a year? That didn't exactly pan out either, did it?
What seems to be suggested here, throwing the game on purpose to hurt the Jets draft pick, is downright silly, no two ways about it.
why take the chance when we have nothing to gain?
No one has answered my question: what is there to GAIN by beating the Jets, because there is potentially a lot to lose.
Losing the game costs us nothing. Winning the game may put a star player on a division opponents' roster.

TedMock
12-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Good! Let them draft Bush, and let him be the best RB in the entire league! I'd rather have a defense that is not afraid of a good RB, and drools over the thought of getting the chance to shut him down. Professional athletes who welcome the competition. If our guys aren't up to the challenge, then we have a lot more to worry about than one RB. Bring it on, and let's have us a good old fashion football game.

Bill Cody
12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
no but why take the chance when having Reggie Bush in our division is at stake?

I agree. And the sad thing is it wold be so easy to lock up a loss. MM needs to do the right thing for the team and start Lossman.

X-Era
12-29-2005, 05:20 PM
im with bam. i dont care about reggie "bust" bush

Well, were all going to sh_t, or better yet hell. But YOU are going in a dragster with a fuggin machine gun on the way down!

I love your spark, I just wish it was directed toward making the Bills a SB winner instead of a pop-warner winner.