PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose...

Romes
01-21-2003, 09:30 PM
With the recent talks of Douglas, Colvin and Spikes possibly coming to Buffalo I was wondering who the people on this board prefered and why. I haven't made up my mind so this thread serves to me as a possible forum to discuss these three players.

So the question: If you could pick one between Spikes, Colvin, and Douglas or even some other FA, all things considered from age, price, talent, leadership, etc. who would you choose and why?

Novacane
01-21-2003, 09:35 PM
My order of preferance

1. Spikes
2. Colvin
3. Douglas

RedEyE
01-21-2003, 10:00 PM
I really think that the D-line should be addressed first, therefore:

1) Douglas
2) Spikes
3) Colvin

Romes
01-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
I really think that the D-line should be addressed first, therefore:

1) Douglas
2) Spikes
3) Colvin

What about Marcus Jones or Schoebel? If Douglas comes in then one of those guys will be 2nd string next year.

I'm leaning towards one of the LB's although not sure if we get the pass rushing Colvin or the better all-round Spikes. We need a pass rush badly. We were never able to collapse that pocket. Yet, a good solid run stopper like Spikes would be helpful too.

RedEyE
01-21-2003, 10:10 PM
I would actually rather the Bills choose a DT - but since it wasn't offered in the list above, I went with the DE. To be honest, anyone of those guys would be an improvement.

venis2k1
01-21-2003, 10:14 PM
We NEED a DT. I think we will be fine with Jones Schoebel, and Ahanatu/Denny/Irons at backup. Colvin would give us the pass rush we really need. I think Colvin will turn Clements into a pro bowler.

Romes
01-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Any DT's out there? I agree we need one but i didn't put one on the list since I hadn't heard of any good ones the Bills might make a run for. If there is he could fit under the "other" category.

venis2k1
01-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Im sure there will be once FA starts, Oakland has to cut somebody.

HenryRules
01-22-2003, 01:31 PM
If we sign Colvin, he plays DE on passing downs, so that addresses a large part of our pass rush problems. In non-passing situations, I don't see Douglas being a huge upgrade over Ahanotu (I'm assuming our lineup would be either Douglas&Schobel or Ahanotu&Schobel) but Colvin is definitely a star LB in those situations ... so taking Colvin over Douglas leaves us about equal on passing downs with an upgrade in normal situations ... seems rather cut and dry to me.

THATHURMANATOR
01-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Douglas is a much better player than Chidi, and would be a huge upgrade IMO, but since we now have jones I think that Colvin would be the best choice. He can get to the passer and thats what this d is sorely missing. Spikes would be nice but he is more of a run stuffer, and he is going to be tagged.

TedMock
01-22-2003, 03:57 PM
I think Douglas is great but I don't think the Bills need him. Marcus Jones will probably start over Chidi next season and word has it that he can be awesome. We don't know for certain how the injury will heal though. I'd say Spikes and Colvin have to be placed on top but Spikes is now going to get tagged so Colvin it is! Colvin is awesome too. Unless Spikes pulls a Jeremiah Trotter and refuses to play if tagged, I don't think he comes here.

Dozerdog
01-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Brandon Noble - Dallas-

Good DT for about 3 Million

HenryRules
01-22-2003, 05:28 PM
TT, I agree Douglas is a huge upgrade over Chidi, but mostly due to his pass-rushing ability, I don't think he's significantly better than Chidi against the rush. Since Colvin will play DE instead of Chidi on passing downs, I think you have to compare Douglas' pass-rushing to Colvin's, and they're about equal in that category. That's why I said Douglas vs. Chidi&Colvin is a wash on passing downs, and Chidi&Colvin are much better on 1st and 2nd then Douglas alone.

THATHURMANATOR
01-22-2003, 06:09 PM
I agree Henry...

kgun12
01-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Brandon Noble - Dallas-

Good DT for about 3 Million

I like this guy also.
LB's I would Pick spikes.

WG
01-23-2003, 12:47 AM
HR, Chidi didn't do too much to impress this year. He's nowhere near the same class as Douglas. Douglas is a playmaker, Chidi is not nor near it.

I'm w/ Dozer. Our rushing D was so bad, if we only had one move all offseason, then it would have to be at DT where we only have PW. The others are fine depth but not starter material, at least not now.

Noble would be good and Thornton from Tennessee I think is the more likely candidate, would also be excellent. Noble would probably be the better of the two.

As far as Marcus Jones goes, I'd rather be too deep than have him flop and have us not have a decent DE b/c we "figured" that he would be awesome. Ie., don't count on Jones being spectacular. His acquisition was somewhat of a gamble.