PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Players say Marcus Jones can be a star!

Novacane
01-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Shoop was at media day today and asked Sapp and Brooks their opinion of Marcus Jones. Both said he will be a great player for the Bills.

Brooks....(whose opinion I take more seriously than Sapp's) said that is Jones had not gotten hurt he would be a star on the Tampa Defense.

I hope these guys are right. If they are we may have gotten a steal!

kgun12
01-21-2003, 09:40 PM
I will trust TD on this one. Even if he does'nt workout, I don't think it cost us that much and the rewards could be BIG!

Romes
01-21-2003, 09:42 PM
If, for any reason, we cut him next year before the season, if i remember corectly, he does not count at all against our cap, since the way the deal is structured. Its a great signing. I look forward to seeing him on the field next year. Comeback player of the year next year for Jones. I'm calling it now.

venis2k1
01-21-2003, 10:12 PM
He is the reason i dont want to sign Douglas

Doc
01-21-2003, 10:26 PM
The NFCCG is the reason I now don't want the Bills to sign Douglas. Go with Jones, Schobel, and Irons, and draft a guy like Akbar Gbaja-Biamila (Kabeer's younger bro).

Romes
01-21-2003, 10:37 PM
what is NFCCG?

TypicalBill
01-22-2003, 12:48 AM
nfc championship game, i hope :D

Romes
01-22-2003, 12:49 AM
that would make sense, thanks

TigerJ
01-22-2003, 08:26 AM
The Marcus Jones signing was about as high benefit/low risk as you can get. That's Tom Donahoe's trademark.

Mr. Miyagi
01-22-2003, 08:30 AM
TD likes to find that diamond in the rough.

SABURZFAN
01-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
I will trust TD on this one. Even if he does'nt workout, I don't think it cost us that much and the rewards could be BIG!

that's exactly right,kgun.let's hope that he recovers nicely.he won't cost much even if he does play.it could shape into one of the best moves that TD has ever made since being the BILLS GM.

TedMock
01-22-2003, 09:54 AM
I don't think he's a diamond in the rough. He had 14 sacks, I think, a couple of years ago before injuries. I know it was when playing with a very good Tampa defense but it's nothing to sneeze at. Let's hope that it wasn't a one year thing and that injuries won't linger. either way they didn't put a lot of cash down so it's worth a shot.

NC-BILLS44
01-22-2003, 10:24 AM
TD's 'diamond in the rough' process also got us Kris Farris.
I suppose they all don't pan out. I was rooting for Farris to recover and become a decent backup, but it wasn't in the cards.
I hope TD is right about Jones.

WG
01-22-2003, 10:43 AM
"can" and "may" are the two words that concern me...

LtBillsFan66
01-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
"can" and "may" are the two words that concern me...

Me too.

EDS
01-22-2003, 05:55 PM
What exactly did Jones injure and why is it still questionable that he can recover for next year? I am guessing blown out knee but help me out here. B/c if he is even the equal of Schoebel I will be content with our current DE line-up.

ArcticWildMan
01-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Mother "may" I? :D

The Natrix
01-22-2003, 08:09 PM
DT is number 1 priority. With a stud tackle, the DEs will play much better.

I say the Bills should not sign a big name DE. Denny was a rook, M. Jones was injured, so they can only get better. I liked what I saw from Grant Irons in the preseason. The D is set with AS at one end and I think it will be set at the other end when one of the above three steps it up. It will be very encouraging to hear the coaches say in preseason, that one of these guys is outplaying Chidi.

Cntrygal
01-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by EDS
What exactly did Jones injure and why is it still questionable that he can recover for next year? I am guessing blown out knee but help me out here. B/c if he is even the equal of Schoebel I will be content with our current DE line-up.

He had a torn lateral meniscus (left knee).

history (http://nfl.kffl.com/teams/players/JONESMARCUSTBDL.shtml)

Tatonka
01-22-2003, 09:46 PM
well, if he was so good, and could/should be a star... then WHY did tampa cut him? why not just put him on IR like we did? what is the deal there?

Doc
01-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Jones had a huge cap number and since he was hurt and couldn't play, the Bucs had to release him. A torn meniscus is usually no big deal so I wouldn't worry all that much that he can't come back. It was a great move on TD's part and doesn't hurt the Bills at all if it doesn't pan out.

As for DE, Jones had his best season in 2000 when he played RDE(outside of that year he played LDE), and that's where Schobel plays. I say have those 2 fight it out for that spot and have Irons, Ahanotu (re-signed cheap), a FA and/or rookie fight it out for the LDE spot, while upgrading at DT, OLB, TE, and speed WR. If there's any left over, upgrade KR/PR and K (or sign a KOS) if possible.