PDA

View Full Version : When the game is meaningless, this is what a real head coach does...

Michael82
12-30-2005, 10:35 PM
With quarterback Steve McNair still hampered by a sore pectoral muscle, second-year veteran Matt Mauck will get the first start of his career Sunday for the Tennessee Titans as they conclude a disappointing season against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher decided early in the week that, if McNair could not play, he would start Mauck over veteran backup Billy Volek. His rationale was that the coaches were familiar with what Volek can do and it was more important to the staff to get a look at Mauck under game conditions.

Mauck, signed at the outset of the season after the Denver Broncos released him, took most of the snaps this week with the No. 1 offense. According to Fisher, his performance improved every day, as did his tempo. Mauck was quicker in and out of the huddle as the week progressed as he gained confidence in his ability to operate the offense.

"He knows what to do," Fisher said. "He's well prepared."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275635

Turf
12-30-2005, 11:07 PM
We got a peppermint stick for a coach.

Dhilton
12-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Gregg williams in my opinion did a much better job in buffalo... mularkey is just... his name

billsburgh
12-31-2005, 01:56 AM
Do we have a real head coach?

clumping platelets
12-31-2005, 02:09 AM
What if Losman is still hampered by the shoulder and/or other injury? I say play the healthy players.

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2005, 03:04 AM
With quarterback Steve McNair still hampered by a sore pectoral muscle, second-year veteran Matt Mauck will get the first start of his career Sunday for the Tennessee Titans as they conclude a disappointing season against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher decided early in the week that, if McNair could not play, he would start Mauck over veteran backup Billy Volek. His rationale was that the coaches were familiar with what Volek can do and it was more important to the staff to get a look at Mauck under game conditions.

Mauck, signed at the outset of the season after the Denver Broncos released him, took most of the snaps this week with the No. 1 offense. According to Fisher, his performance improved every day, as did his tempo. Mauck was quicker in and out of the huddle as the week progressed as he gained confidence in his ability to operate the offense.

:10:

ArcticWildMan
12-31-2005, 03:53 AM
Gregg williams in my opinion did a much better job in buffalo...

Sadly, I was thinking the same thing last night watching Redskins highlights on ESPN. I'd take Williams over Mularkey right now without even thinking about it.

X-Era
12-31-2005, 07:20 AM

I agree with the concept but have to mention that Schottenheimer said he refuses to start Rivers in the last game because he wants 10 wins, even though they are out of the playoffs.

I think HC's may be split on this issue. Sherman wouldnt start Rogers all year either and went with a about to retire Favre when they are one of the worst teams out there.

Personally, I say, develop your young guy if you have nothing to lose, because starting OUR old guy has nothing to gain.

Michael82
12-31-2005, 10:56 AM
No. :(

Michael82
12-31-2005, 10:57 AM
What if Losman is still hampered by the shoulder and/or other injury? I say play the healthy players.
They say that he has been practicing and is supposedly 100%. If that is the case, he should be starting. :mad:

Michael82
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Sadly, I was thinking the same thing last night watching Redskins highlights on ESPN. I'd take Williams over Mularkey right now without even thinking about it.
As much as I hated Gregg Williams, I am starting to agree that the Bills were better off with him over Mike Mularkey. And that makes me sick to my stomach, although I already am. :ill:

Historian
12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
They both suck Mike.

Neither should have even been considered for their respective jobs.

Typ0
12-31-2005, 11:11 AM
I never thought williams got a fair shake here...that is a case where we pulled the trigger too fast. Williams was able to take a squad that obviously lacked talent in some key areas and exploit the areas we were strong. As far as his relationship with the players and the media GW was a no BS kind of guy and that is what we need here. He made some boneheaded calls during games...but I liked a lot of things he did too. I would have liked to see Williams stay and Gilbride go...but that was the thorn that sent GW packing so it is what it is.

I agree with Clump...if JP isn't 100% he shouldn't be thrown to the wolves for nothing. I know he needs the experience....but he also doen't need another injury to rehab from or just getting crushed the last game of the season and thinking about it for the next few months.

tat2dmike77
12-31-2005, 12:32 PM
I WOULD RATHER HAVE WADE PHILLIPS RIGHT NOW THEN MM

pleasesavedrew
12-31-2005, 02:51 PM
What does it say to your other 52 players when you basicly give up on the game by playing the 3rd qb?

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I WOULD RATHER HAVE WADE PHILLIPS RIGHT NOW THEN MM

Agreed. You took the CAPS right out of my mouth. :;

Michael82
12-31-2005, 03:51 PM
What does it say to your other 52 players when you basicly give up on the game by playing the 3rd qb?
why does it matter? It's a meaningless game anyways and besides, we learned from last year that even if u end the season with a good finish, it doesn't do much.

gr8slayer
12-31-2005, 08:27 PM
We have a real stupid coach. Does that count?