PDA

View Full Version : Bobby April for Head Coach

Throne Logic
01-01-2006, 12:47 AM
I've stated my case a number of times. He's well liked, extremely successful in the midst of super-underachievement, and he has no bias for either offense or defense. Plus, he knows the in's and out's of this team already.

April has the same basic skill-set and background as Marv Levy. I'm not saying he's the next Marv Levy, but he does from the same basic football foundation - Special Teams. He'll make sure that ST gets it's fair share of practice time and he'll most likely keep his nose out of what the OC and DC are doing.

Bobby April for Head Coach in 2006!

JJamezz
01-01-2006, 12:55 AM
I agree man. I don't know how *qualified* he is for a head position, but I know he'd do a better job than the last couple we've had.

Seeing him on the sidelines last week, and week in, week out, seeing how hard his guys play for him, I think he could do well. And I'd almost forgotten that about Levy - yeah, he was a ST coach at one point. I think GW was too - and he may very well do better his second go around - as bad as he was here, he seems like a guy who learns from his mistakes.

Throne Logic
01-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Come on now, someone must have an opinion on this?

other than JJ, I mean.

Bill Brasky
01-01-2006, 10:20 PM
And I'd almost forgotten that about Levy - yeah, he was a ST coach at one point.

He was a ST for the majority of his career until he went to KC.

I don't know if I'd want him as head coach. I'm sick of taking chances on unproven HC's... but I don't want this guy gone. He's single-handedly turned this ST unit from pitiful to productive.

I want MM out of here, and new HC's usually bring in their own staff. He's done such a good job and people around the league know how good this ST unit is, I think even a new coach would be willing to keep this guy here.

lordofgun
01-01-2006, 10:21 PM
I like it! He seems like he's got a fiery personality, and he's obviously a guy that commands respect from his ST players!

Throne Logic
01-01-2006, 10:21 PM
I think GW was too - and he may very well do better his second go around - as bad as he was here, he seems like a guy who learns from his mistakes.

Maybe, but GW was hired because of his Defensive knowledge. He had a big hand in Buffalo's Defense.

I agree with you. I think he will be much better in his second stint. I think he hires a good OC and lets him call the plays. I also bet he is more decisive.

Throne Logic
01-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I like it! He seems like he's got a fiery personality, and he's obviously a guy that commands respect from his ST players!

You also see him personally "councelling" guys after a bad play. Versus just laying into them after they screw up. What ever he's saying in those discussions is definitely working.

He's a motivator who can keep his players focused and grounded.

ublinkwescore
01-01-2006, 10:49 PM
this thread may have just made me forget all about Tice or Edwards or Mariucci.

I like it too - provided he does exactly that - stay out of the OC and DC's ways and let them call their plays.

Special teams primarily encompasses only the basic fundamentals (lane discipline, openfield tackling, proper ball handling, explosion off the line, etc...) - you'd think we'd be a lot more disciplined.

ParanoidAndroid
01-01-2006, 10:55 PM

That is absolutely key! Good comments.

ublinkwescore
01-01-2006, 10:56 PM
The word Motivator applied to Gregg Williams too though - it's not paramount.

Kerr
01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
What the bills need is a guy who will instill discipline on a consistent basis.

Michael82
01-02-2006, 08:46 AM
hmmm, interested idea. I like it. :up:

Either way, I want Bobby April to be locked up forever. He's the coach that should always stay, no matter who gets fired.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 05:23 PM
yup...

Let's not let this thread die yet.

Jeff1220
01-02-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd take him as HC over most other coordinators, that's for sure!

Mudflap1
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Stop the madness!!!!!

Ever think that he may NOT want to be a head coach? The guy has been around the block for years, and is one of the best special teams coordinators around. Let him stick with what he's good at. Some guys are meant to be head coaches, some guys are good at what their niches are. Just because the guy is a great ST coach and the rest of the guys running our team have less credentials than a braindead mongrel doesn't mean we should automatically elevate him to head coach. If we are going to bring someone new in as head coach this year, let the new GM pick the right guy, and keep April on as ST coach along with McNally, as leaders.

Jon

Throne Logic
01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Stop the madness!!!!!

Ever think that he may NOT want to be a head coach?
Jon

Somewhere along the line, I read an article that stated Bobby April has expressed interest in a HC job.

Now that we need a coach again, I've decided to bump this up and get some more opinions.

Philagape
01-14-2006, 08:34 AM
:up:

Some people may disparage the idea because he's "just" a ST coach. But what team more than ours have shown how important ST is? It was huge during the SB years. It was huge in 2004. It's just as part of a team as offense or defense.

I don't care if he's the practice squad TEs coach ... if he's successful at what he does, he deserves consideration. A HC doesn't have to be a hands-on guy if he has good coordinators. A HC, above all, is a leader.

DynaPaul
01-14-2006, 08:46 AM
You also see him personally "councelling" guys after a bad play. Versus just laying into them after they screw up. What ever he's saying in those discussions is definitely working.

That's one of the main jobs of a coach during gameday. Dick Vermeil and Herman Edwards do this very well if you've ever seen sideline footage from the games. The coach can't oversee every aspect of the offense and defense during the game and has to rely on his assistants. This is why, when you become a head coach, you shouldn't hire your bozo buddies as assistants.

madness
01-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Stop the madness!!!!!

Ever think that he may NOT want to be a head coach? The guy has been around the block for years, and is one of the best special teams coordinators around. Let him stick with what he's good at. Some guys are meant to be head coaches, some guys are good at what their niches are. Just because the guy is a great ST coach and the rest of the guys running our team have less credentials than a braindead mongrel doesn't mean we should automatically elevate him to head coach. If we are going to bring someone new in as head coach this year, let the new GM pick the right guy, and keep April on as ST coach along with McNally, as leaders.

Jon

You can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me!

Everybody's saying they don't want to take a chance on an unproven coach. Well I got news for you, the next great coach in this league isn't going to be a coach with experience that just got fired. It's going to be an 'up and comer'. We can either settle for someone's leftovers and have a few above average seasons or try to find the next diamond in the ruff. Now I'm not talking about just gambling on any old coordinator. The league is based on evaluating future talented players. It can't be that hard to apply that kind of logic to future coaches too.

I think Bobby April certainly has the skills, background and talent to be that diamond in the ruff. If our organization agrees, I will have no problem backing him as our new head coach. :up:

ParanoidAndroid
01-14-2006, 11:05 AM
The work April has done with special teams displays his ability to improve a team with the players already here.
Gregg Williams was given Spikes, Adams, Milloy and Posey when he turned the defense around and it still wasn't up to where Lebeau brought them when he came.
April deserves a shot. I really think he is one of those guys who gets it.
If you want a proven HC, I don't blame you.
If you want someone who looks worthy of a promotion from a coordinator position, April is as worthy as anyone.
Personally, I would rather see a good OC or someone with HC experience here. Saunders is my favorite OC, but the chances that he will leave KC are awefully slim. Sherman is my HC choice. He was dealt a rough hand this year and his offense was hurting. Wahle and Rivera were 2 of the best guards in the league, Ahman Green was a huge part of their offense, Davenport as well, and Jevon Walker was their #1 receiver. All were lost in one season. That is more than NE ever lost on one side of the ball in a single season. That Gado and Favre were able to do as much as they did is a testament to Sherman.

Nighthawk
01-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Great ST Coach, but HC? I don't think so. That being said, whoever is the next Bills HC, they have to keep him!

JJamezz
01-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I understand wanting to have an experienced HC too.. But the big difference this time around is that TD WON'T BE THE ONE MAKING THE SELECTION. How many of the first time guys TD passed on (didn't interview or whatever) are having success now - the MAJORITY of them. It cracks me up, the odds were actually AGAINST him picking a couple of losers, yet he managed to pull it off. That said, its not fair to judge GW or MM completely on their own merits, because I think TD had A LOT to do with *their* decision making..

ublinkwescore
01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Bump!

And the Pats Lost... man is that therapeutic...