PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Fish are smart about safeties

G. Host
01-01-2006, 07:08 AM
CB Madison doesn't think he'll return to Dolphins

The four-time Pro Bowl performer, who is adamant about not taking a pay cut to remain with the only franchise for which he has played, feels the Dolphins will either trade or release him in the offseason. He saw it happen to his longtime cornerback partner, Patrick Surtain, who was dealt to Kansas City last offseason, and figures the same fate awaits him as the Dolphins try to get younger and cheaper in 2006.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2276290

It has been my position that safety is one of those positions which you do not break the bank for ESPECIALLY when a player is over 30 and both our safeties are over 30. This ties up a lot of money which can be used in other postions. I know the Bills in the past were able to develop safeties but recently they have not been able to and have resorted to aged CBs.

In the past, Madison has reworked his contract to grant the Dolphins salary cap relief and to retain his roster spot. He will not, he insisted earlier this week, be as accommodating this time around. Madison seems confident that if Miami won't pay him what he feels he is worth, some other team will.

"I can still play," Madison said. "I don't give up big plays. I play with my head now more than ever, and there is a lot of [knowledge] up there, believe me. I took a pay cut this year, and they didn't do the things they said they would do with the money they saved. So that isn't going to happen. And that probably means I'll be gone. I mean, whatever happens is going to happen. I'll be a little sad about it, but [there will be] no tears."

Of course since Miami went through several GMs inccluding Dan Marino for a very short period of time, how good are promises by previous GMs made to players?

I should probably be sitting at feet of Clump when I ask this but how much of the savings was just salary converted to signing bonus and how much was actual cuts? I'd be glad to get next year's salary paid to be this year along with this year's salary and take minimum wage following year!