BAM
01-01-2006, 02:48 PM
engrish?

L.A. Playa
01-01-2006, 02:54 PM
he drop kicked the ball for an extra point

G. Host
01-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Rather than going for an extra point with a holder the kicker (in this case the QB) is hiked the ball and he kicks it for the extra point. It has potential of a bigger two point play which is why teans do it.

Billscusey
01-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't think I understand. If they knew they were only going to go for one point, why not just go for the standard kick? Why the drop kick? It isn't worth more, is it? Does it fake out the other team or something?

L.A. Playa
01-01-2006, 03:01 PM
It was first succesfuldrop kick for an extra point since 1941

G. Host
01-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah and it has been something Flutie has been practicing since CFL days. Supposedly difficult but never did any kicking.

G. Host
01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Link on NFL.com:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/9133564

pleasesavedrew
01-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Does a dropkick have to hit the ground before going through the uprights? If doesnt, than it sounds alot easier than a standard PAT.

L.A. Playa
01-01-2006, 03:41 PM
basically looked like apunt through the uprights and did look alot easier than a regular extra point

Historian
01-01-2006, 04:20 PM
REF: "I haven't seen one of those in 20 years!"
NITSCHKE: "What the hell was that?"
CREW: "Drop Kick."
NITSCHKE: "What's that worth?"
CREW: "Three points."
NITSCHKE: "****!"

-The Longest Yard

It has to hit the ground and be kicked off the bounce.

DraftBoy
01-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Former Bears QB Jim McMahon could hit them from 40+ yards out

Turf
01-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I still don't see why they did it.

feelthepain
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Thats how Flutie ends his career?? It was stupid, the guy has done enough in the NFL to deserve a better ending then that stupid play. He should have been the starting QB in the second half of the game.

Michael82
01-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Thats how Flutie ends his career?? It was stupid, the guy has done enough in the NFL to deserve a better ending then that stupid play. He should have been the starting QB in the second half of the game.
hey, he got his name in the history books. :up:

Ickybaluky
01-01-2006, 05:54 PM

The reason he did it was because he always wanted to try it in a game and it hadn't been done since 1941. The game was meaningless for the Pats anyway, which is why they played all their scrubs.

The reason Flutie didn't play is because the coaching staff knows what he can do and are comfortable he can perform if they need him in a game. They felt it was more important to get a look at 3rd-stringer Matt Cassell, who was a backup in college and doesn't have a lot of game experience. They wanted to evaluate the kid in game conditions.

Cassell played pretty well, I thought. He played with 2nd stringers against Miami's starters on defense and threw for 2 TDs.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2006/0101/photo/g_flutie_195.jpg

feelthepain
01-01-2006, 06:12 PM
The reason he did it was because he always wanted to try it in a game and it hadn't been done since 1941. The game was meaningless for the Pats anyway, which is why they played all their scrubs.

The reason Flutie didn't play is because the coaching staff knows what he can do and are comfortable he can perform if they need him in a game. They felt it was more important to get a look at 3rd-stringer Matt Cassell, who was a backup in college and doesn't have a lot of game experience. They wanted to evaluate the kid in game conditions.

Cassell played pretty well, I thought. He played with 2nd stringers against Miami's starters on defense and threw for 2 TDs.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2006/0101/photo/g_flutie_195.jpg

Everything Flutie did in school and the Pro's both NFL and CFL could have been wraped up in the second half of the fins game to bring a team back to win against, of all teams Miami....it was perfect for Doug. You could not have written a better script for Doug. All I can figure is Doug has some sort of injury. There is no way Cassell gives the Pats the better chance to win. A win today is, or should I say was important. Stupid move by the Pats, unless Flutie was injured. He has more playoff experience then Brady. It may be CFL but it's playoff games none the less. No excuse not to play Doug.

kinigirly
01-01-2006, 07:28 PM
haha poor flutie...he's like hey hey remember me?? wait don't go look i've got a cool trick to show you. hooray for flutie!

doomsdayvirus
01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
watch this open the flood gates for drop kicks for PAT's now!!

i didn't even know that was an option, and i'll bet half the players didn't know either...

Michael82
01-01-2006, 07:58 PM
watch this open the flood gates for drop kicks for PAT's now!!

i didn't even know that was an option, and i'll bet half the players didn't know either...
especially with how easy it seems. :up:

doomsdayvirus
01-01-2006, 08:09 PM

they should let fans come on to the field and try their luck.

hell, they should let fans come on the field and try their luck at o-line!!

if the first shirtless bass-tard w/ a beer gut and chest paint can't block, haul another one down until you can find someone who can!!

Ickybaluky
01-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Everything Flutie did in school and the Pro's both NFL and CFL could have been wraped up in the second half of the fins game to bring a team back to win against, of all teams Miami....it was perfect for Doug. You could not have written a better script for Doug. All I can figure is Doug has some sort of injury. There is no way Cassell gives the Pats the better chance to win. A win today is, or should I say was important. Stupid move by the Pats, unless Flutie was injured. He has more playoff experience then Brady. It may be CFL but it's playoff games none the less. No excuse not to play Doug.

Stupid move? It was an exhibition game for them, winning wasn't the most important thing, not getting injured was.

They played Cassell because they wanted to evaluate a kid that there isn't a lot of game film on. Flutie is a veteran, he doesn't need to play. It isn't about doing the best for Doug, it is about doing what is best for the Pats, and that is evaluating Cassell.

At any rate, talk around here is Flutie may want to stay around a couple more years as a backup.

Throne Logic
01-01-2006, 10:09 PM

heh. not easy.

You try bouncing a football off the ground and make it come up straight enough to kick it.

feelthepain
01-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Stupid move? It was an exhibition game for them, winning wasn't the most important thing, not getting injured was.

They played Cassell because they wanted to evaluate a kid that there isn't a lot of game film on. Flutie is a veteran, he doesn't need to play. It isn't about doing the best for Doug, it is about doing what is best for the Pats, and that is evaluating Cassell.

At any rate, talk around here is Flutie may want to stay around a couple more years as a backup.

Give me a break, Cassell needs game film, whatever. The Pats should have tried to win today. Maybe the Pats could have won, one more playoff game with another win today (momentum). I'm sorry, your kind of thinking and logic is not winning football. This time of year you needed this win, you're not the Colts this year. Your team doesn't have that luxury this year and you will pay the price for todays loss. The Pats will struggle in the first rd. and will be out by the second if they're lucky.
I'll tell you why, they are complacent and spoiled. Their desire is not as high as other teams that are close and have yet to to win big games. Today, BB set the tone by not making this game important.

Throne Logic
01-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Also, what's the point other than a gimmick? Line up with full protection and let your PC put it through the uprights. 1 point is 1 point - why screw around unless you're screwing around? If it were good for 2 points, then sure.

Kind of surprised that BB had the sense of humor to let out enough control slack to let Flutie even try it.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
the point is... belecheck and flutie and the pats were just screwing around. Only Belecheck could pull it off because everyone loves him and the fans and media would just laugh it off if flutie missed. Imagine if Moolarky made that call, fans and media would have crucified him. Belecheck has earned the right to have a bit of fun... that is what football is in new england... fun..... here in buffalo it is just painful.
you saw belcheck laughing when the kick was made.... they were just having a blast, and I say good for them. I think it was pretty fun.

Meathead
01-01-2006, 10:28 PM
thats all it is, a gimmick

doesnt bother me, doesnt impress me, just fun

Meathead
01-01-2006, 10:28 PM
lol didnt see prev post before mine

it was fun

Ickybaluky
01-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Give me a break, Cassell needs game film, whatever. The Pats should have tried to win today. Maybe the Pats could have won, one more playoff game with another win today (momentum). I'm sorry, your kind of thinking and logic is not winning football. This time of year you needed this win, you're not the Colts this year. Your team doesn't have that luxury this year and you will pay the price for todays loss. The Pats will struggle in the first rd. and will be out by the second if they're lucky.
I'll tell you why, they are complacent and spoiled. Their desire is not as high as other teams that are close and have yet to to win big games. Today, BB set the tone by not making this game important.

I suppose Indy, Seattle and Cincinnati should have tried to win today as well, and they are all complacent. None of them must have a chance to win either, because none of them playing "winning football"

The Pats rested all the starters because they have a big game in a week and they didn't want anyone getting hurt, just like Indy, Seattle and Cincy.

It is kind of ironic to hear a Dolphin's fan talk about "winning football", since they haven't actually won anything meaningful there in decades.

PhinsFan66
01-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Doug is such an attention whore.....he hasn't been in the spotlight since his throw to beat the U way back in the early 1980's, so Chris Boomer Berman told him to make a meaningless kick and then he jumps up and down like he beat the Hurricanes on a last 2nd Hail Mary or something??....congrats Doug...now retire and have a big bowl of Flutie Flakes.
:lmao:

Historian
01-02-2006, 06:15 AM
I can tell you, that it is definately not easy.

I had a buddy who used to be able to do it when we were kids, playing in the street. He could boom the thing with a bounce off the pavement.

He couldn't do it off the grass.

feelthepain
01-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I suppose Indy, Seattle and Cincinnati should have tried to win today as well, and they are all complacent. None of them must have a chance to win either, because none of them playing "winning football"

The Pats rested all the starters because they have a big game in a week and they didn't want anyone getting hurt, just like Indy, Seattle and Cincy.

It is kind of ironic to hear a Dolphin's fan talk about "winning football", since they haven't actually won anything meaningful there in decades.

I guess you think your s*** don't stink because you were lucky enough to be a fan of a team thats put it all together for the last half a decade. Before that how much did you have to bragg about?? Thats right nothing, get off your high horse, YOU had nothing to do with the Pats winning and you should feel lucky to be a fan of a team thats been lucky enough to win so much. Now the tide will turn and someone elses team will get a chance to enjoy a winning team. I know YOU think that your team will win every year from now on, but winning in the NFL goes in cycles and your Pats are at the end of theirs. You're one arrogant POS, what gives you the right to talk such trash when up until the last four years you had nothing to bragg about. Times are changin and it's Miami's turn.

chernobylwraiths
01-02-2006, 11:57 AM
If Pats win, they become the 3 seed. I think in some ways they DIDN'T want to win to play the lesser Jacksonville team. I think Pittsburgh is a better team and NE didn't want to face them, especially offensively.

MikeInRoch
01-02-2006, 12:03 PM

I'm sure that you know more about what it takes to win in the playoffs than the coaching staff of the Patriots. Maybe they should hire you to give themselves a better shot.

Ingtar33
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
a little drop kick info for the kids out there.

It used to be you could do a drop kick form anywhere on the field on any play. It was considered a field goal (or in the case of an extra point play, an extra point). The reason the drop kick died out in the nfl, was because the league changed the rules to state you could only try one from behind the line of scrimmage.

It sorta made the whole thing worthless, when you consider it is generally a low percentage play... if you can't do it from anywhere on the field, and it has to be from behind the LOS, then a simple place kick makes more sense from a pure chance for success point of view.

And no... i don't think anyone forgot you could do that... i just think no one was gripped with the sudden desire to try the carnival stunt in the last 60 years or so.

Ickybaluky
01-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I guess you think your s*** don't stink because you were lucky enough to be a fan of a team thats put it all together for the last half a decade. Before that how much did you have to bragg about?? Thats right nothing, get off your high horse, YOU had nothing to do with the Pats winning and you should feel lucky to be a fan of a team thats been lucky enough to win so much. Now the tide will turn and someone elses team will get a chance to enjoy a winning team. I know YOU think that your team will win every year from now on, but winning in the NFL goes in cycles and your Pats are at the end of theirs. You're one arrogant POS, what gives you the right to talk such trash when up until the last four years you had nothing to bragg about. Times are changin and it's Miami's turn.

FYI... I don't have any affiliation with the Patriots other than the fact I grew up rooting for them, and really my day is no different if they win or lose. I just like watching them play, and quite frankly it is fun whether they win or lose. My favorite Patriots team of all-time will always be the '76-'78 team. If the Pats are eliminated, I'll enjoy watching all the other teams play as well.

That said, I wasn't really talking trash. I just made the point that if you feel the Pats laid down by resting everyone against the Dolphins and it will cost them in the playoffs, then you must feel the same way about Indy, Chicago and Cincinnati, all of whom did the same thing.

You made my day with this one, I think I'm going to give you positive rep. There is nothing as funny as watching a Dolphins fan descend into lunacy when confronted with the reality that they haven't won anything in decades. I think it is hilarious that you let it effect you so much.

LtFinFan66
01-02-2006, 03:08 PM
You did ignore the point that the Pats had nothing to cheer for in decades prior to the last 4 years. I will agree the Fins have not done anything in a long time other than 2 Superbowls appearances. You need to admit the FTP had a point as well. I will agree the Pats run is coming to an end!

dolphinssuck
01-02-2006, 04:01 PM
FYI... I don't have any affiliation with the Patriots other than the fact I grew up rooting for them, and really my day is no different if they win or lose. I just like watching them play, and quite frankly it is fun whether they win or lose. My favorite Patriots team of all-time will always be the '76-'78 team. If the Pats are eliminated, I'll enjoy watching all the other teams play as well.

That said, I wasn't really talking trash. I just made the point that if you feel the Pats laid down by resting everyone against the Dolphins and it will cost them in the playoffs, then you must feel the same way about Indy, Chicago and Cincinnati, all of whom did the same thing.

You made my day with this one, I think I'm going to give you positive rep. There is nothing as funny as watching a Dolphins fan descend into lunacy when confronted with the reality that they haven't won anything in decades. I think it is hilarious that you let it effect you so much. :goodpost: I know the Bills and Pats are rivals but your right about whether your team wins or loses it doesnt affect you personally and you should enjoy watching you team no matter what team it is. As for the Pats on the decline as much as it pains me as long as you have Brady your always in position to win.

Ickybaluky
01-02-2006, 04:22 PM
You did ignore the point that the Pats had nothing to cheer for in decades prior to the last 4 years. I will agree the Fins have not done anything in a long time other than 2 Superbowls appearances. You need to admit the FTP had a point as well. I will agree the Pats run is coming to an end!

Yeah, they sucked for most of my life. I still loved watching the games. I had seasons from '90-'95, and the team was dreadful for the first few years. Still was great to watch NFL football.

I am not surprised at people predicting an end to the Patriots run, but I don't see it yet. Granted, they may or may not win the Super Bowl, but as long as Brady and Belichick are there they will be in the mix. Those two are the key to the run. Once one or the other is gone, the run will end.

chernobylwraiths
01-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Prior to what? They were in the Superbowl in the 80s (trounced by the Bears) and they were in the Superbowl in the 90s (lost to GB).

FTP had no point except to say that the Dolphins won superbowls before the Pats did. BFD!

STAMPY
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM

well the pats were in a super bowl vs green bay too. that was before the 4 year run.

Dozerdog
01-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Everything Flutie did in school and the Pro's both NFL and CFL could have been wraped up in the second half of the fins game to bring a team back to win against, of all teams Miami....it was perfect for Doug. You could not have written a better script for Doug. All I can figure is Doug has some sort of injury. There is no way Cassell gives the Pats the better chance to win. A win today is, or should I say was important. Stupid move by the Pats, unless Flutie was injured. He has more playoff experience then Brady. It may be CFL but it's playoff games none the less. No excuse not to play Doug.So everything with you is stats and apperances?

It would have been a waste of the team's time playing Flutie. They got valuable experience for their rookie.

What they shoukd have done is just keep the regulars in and asswiped the floor with the Dolphins.

Brad528
01-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Difference is they didnt need the win to switch playoff position while the Pats did they were playing for the #3 seed and now they may have to play teams on the road whom they could have had at home.

Valerie
01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Good for Doug!!!!!:10: He's going to finally get his Super Bowl ring this year too! :heart:

Ickybaluky
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Difference is they didnt need the win to switch playoff position while the Pats did they were playing for the #3 seed and now they may have to play teams on the road whom they could have had at home.

Cincinnati did.