PDA

View Full Version : Bad call early in season cost changed division champs for two teams

don137
01-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Way back in October I believe Washington played at Tampa Bay. Tampa scored a TD with under a minute to go to be down by one. Tampa missed the extra point but there was a flag on the play for offsides against Washington. Tampa went for two points and Alstott scored on a two point conversion on another questionable call on whether Alstott crossed the goal line. Tampa won by one point. From what I heard from a skins fan the head of officials said later in the week that it wasn't offsides on the original extra point so Washington should of won the game. If the refs made the right call Washington would of won the NFC East and Carolina would of won the NFC South...Amazing one bad call changed the division champs in two divisions...

Samphin1
01-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Maybe five years ago or so, it seemed that every week the Stellers were getting a letter from the league saying the officials blew a call that cost them the game. I think they may have even been in the playoff hunt but had to literally play against the refs as well. Not to mention the coin toss incident as well.

I really think the refs need to be held to a higher level of accountability in all sports. If they blow a call, fine them money from their game checks. That would whip them into shape reall quick. The B.S. about only having the best crews work the playoffs as a reward is dumb. Hit them where it hurts an dwatch the plays get called correctly, the strikes called strikes and the ticky tack fouls in the NBA leave.

Soapbox off. :)

chernobylwraiths
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I remember that game because (even though I hate them) Washington got totally screwed on that call. They showed the play several times from the side and you could never tell when Alstott's knee went down, but when they showed the replay from the endzone, you could clearly see that Alstott's elbow (the one holding the ball) clearly landed about 6 inches to a foot before the goalline. He should never have been given credit for the two points and TB would have lost that game.

Michael82
01-02-2006, 08:43 AM
That's why they should hire full time referees and then discipline them when they **** up. :D

DynaPaul
01-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Refs are bought, haven't you all figured that out by now?