PDA

View Full Version : RJ showed some class yesterday

Judge
01-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Glad to see it-

on media day, he told Buffalo reporters that he thought the Bills had a good team while he was here, that he wanted to succeed, was sorry it didn't work out, and that he'd like to have still been here if it were possible.

Finally, he says the right things! All right, I forgive him for singlehandedly ruining our team!

Earthquake Enyart
01-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Why wouldn't he say something nice? He's laughing all the way to the bank.

Judge
01-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Why wouldn't he say something nice? He's laughing all the way to the bank.

He would have made more $$ here if he had succeeded. He could have broken the bank on a contract extension if he had any success at all.

So, he's making far less than he could have.

Mr. Miyagi
01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
The only time the words "RJ" and "class" should be used in the same sentence:

"After sitting on the bench for 5 seasons, former Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Rob Johnson decides to retire from football and teach 6th grade gym class in San Jose, California."

SABURZFAN
01-22-2003, 12:26 PM
former Cincinatti Bengals???

:rofl:

i don't think THEY would want him.

Mr. Miyagi
01-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Nah, they could've done worse with QBs like....like....uh....like.....

THATHURMANATOR
01-22-2003, 03:32 PM
While RJ frustrated me to no end with his play I really don't recall him being a jerk in any way. Why such hatred for the guy? Let him go.

NC-BILLS44
01-22-2003, 03:38 PM
I think the hatred comes from, IMO, his lack of commitment to the city and team. Not to mention the disappointment in him not living up to his potential.

Mr. Miyagi
01-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Like I said, I don't hate him as a person. I don't think much of him as a football player, however.

The_Philster
01-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
While RJ frustrated me to no end with his play I really don't recall him being a jerk in any way. Why such hatred for the guy? Let him go.

Well said, THURM. He's a player who didn't perform up to expectations and let himself get caught up in a war of words with Flutie. They're both gone so let's move on. No reason to be hating either of them anymore.

chernobylwraiths
01-22-2003, 03:44 PM
I never liked the guy either, but the only bad thing I ever heard him say about the team was that after he auditioned for a job in Houston, he said that they already had a better offensive line than the one he played behind.

lordofgun
01-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
I never liked the guy either, but the only bad thing I ever heard him say about the team was that after he auditioned for a job in Houston, he said that they already had a better offensive line than the one he played behind.

Yeah, but was he wrong? :D

Welcome to the boards! :beers:

Scott
01-22-2003, 03:49 PM
The statement about Houston's line was probably true.
Glad to see you are the forgiving type Judge.
Don't buy the statement about lack of committment to the team, where a player lives in the offseason has nothing to do with committment.
The fans showed no committment to him, he had what 3 partial seasons? Much of that time was with a poor Oline and poor running game.
Maybe he will never amount to much but I feel he was unfairly made the scapegoat by Bills fans.

justasportsfan
01-22-2003, 04:02 PM
It's plain and simple, as a bill he sucked. On the personal side of things I don't know him nor am I judging him as a person.

Most comments made about was made based on his perfomance in buffalo. He sucked.

mybills
01-22-2003, 04:24 PM
He let the door hit him on the way out. He gets it from his daddy though. I guess it takes a PO win to finally say something nice. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
01-22-2003, 04:34 PM
Rob Johnson may have class, but he was a terrible player. How many free agents were let go to accomodate his huge salary?

Think about this little injustice: Johnson may end up with a Super Bowl ring this weekend. Jim Kelly never got one....

If that happens, I will be sick.

chernobylwraiths
01-22-2003, 04:38 PM
If that line was so good in Houston, why did they set the all time sacks record with a fairly mobile QB. Don't give me any crap about Boselli being hurt either, that would be Rob's excuse.

lordofgun
01-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
Rob Johnson may have class, but he was a terrible player. How many free agents were let go to accomodate his huge salary?

Think about this little injustice: Johnson may end up with a Super Bowl ring this weekend. Jim Kelly never got one....

If that happens, I will be sick.

Yeah, but everyone will know his ring is meaningless. He had no part in winning it. Sure he came in for a couple of games, buthe didn't do crap in those games. His fumble on the goalline against the Seelers was priceless.

pmoon6
01-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Johnson was signed after starting three games in Jacksonville.At the time he was thought to have good physical skills and was sought after by a number of teams. A number of QB's drafted in the first round,with tremendous potential, have been busts (the list is endless).The same with Johnson. If you want to "hate" somebody,direct your hatred to the guy that signed an unproven player to such a fat contract.

shelby
01-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Judge
Glad to see it-

on media day, he told Buffalo reporters that he thought the Bills had a good team while he was here, that he wanted to succeed, was sorry it didn't work out, and that he'd like to have still been here if it were possible.

Finally, he says the right things! All right, I forgive him for singlehandedly ruining our team!
Scott pointed that out already...he has been trying to tell y'all that RJ hasn't badmouthed the Bills. The most negative comment i read was "i was the antichrist in Buffalo".

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
I think the hatred comes from, IMO, his lack of commitment to the city and team. Not to mention the disappointment in him not living up to his potential.
i agree that he didn't live up to his potential. He did, however, commit to the city of Buffalo. He participated in a lot of charity work that went unpublicized. He is not the only player in the league who chooses not to live in their NFL city year round. i'm sure Drew is back in Montana already.

Originally posted by Scott
The statement about Houston's line was probably true.
Glad to see you are the forgiving type Judge.
Don't buy the statement about lack of committment to the team, where a player lives in the offseason has nothing to do with committment.
The fans showed no committment to him, he had what 3 partial seasons? Much of that time was with a poor Oline and poor running game.
Maybe he will never amount to much but I feel he was unfairly made the scapegoat by Bills fans.
i agree with Scott. He is a very intelligent man.:D

THATHURMANATOR
01-22-2003, 06:12 PM
You didnt agree with me shelby??? YOU :angry:ing :angry:!!!!!!!!!!!

shelby
01-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
THATHURM is exactly right....i agree with him 110%.
;)

{Thurm, Scott is my big brother. He has been singlehandedly defending RJ for years. i need to watch his back. :D}

THATHURMANATOR
01-22-2003, 06:42 PM
LOL!!! Thanks shel!!!!!!

The Natrix
01-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by pmoon6
Johnson was signed after starting three games in Jacksonville.At the time he was thought to have good physical skills and was sought after by a number of teams. A number of QB's drafted in the first round,with tremendous potential, have been busts (the list is endless).The same with Johnson. If you want to "hate" somebody,direct your hatred to the guy that signed an unproven player to such a fat contract.

well stated

The_Philster
01-22-2003, 08:51 PM
I second that, Natrix. If you're gonna be really upset with anyone, make it John Butler.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-22-2003, 09:22 PM
So RJ is an ass because he accepted a 25 million dollar contract?

I guess he should've told John Butler that he doesn't deserve that kind of money after 3 games, and that he should sign a smaller contracts with incentives that could increase to 25 million dollars.

I guess we should hate John Fina, Jay Riemersma, Doug Flutie and Ken Irvin because they accepted contract they wern't good enough to have. The list goes on and on, and with more teams then just the Bills.

So I guess if your boss offered you guys a huge pay raise and gave you a huge promotion, that you would turn it down and accept less money because you had a couple good ideas while you filled in when somebody was home sick for the week? I guess if you didn't live up to your potential that you should be hated for life because of it.

I guess that the entire world are a bunch of jerks. Cause I don't know anybody who would turn down guranteed money.

Why no hatred for all the other players we signed to big money for little return? Lets hate John Butler for it. Without him throwing money around we would've never signed all them overpriced players. Rob was just another one in the list of a dozen.

kgun12
01-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
So RJ is an ass because he accepted a 25 million dollar contract?

I guess he should've told John Butler that he doesn't deserve that kind of money after 3 games, and that he should sign a smaller contracts with incentives that could increase to 25 million dollars.

I guess we should hate John Fina, Jay Riemersma, Doug Flutie and Ken Irvin because they accepted contracts they wern't good enough to have. The list goes on and on, and with more teams then just the Bills.

So I guess if you're boss offered you guys a huge pay raise and gave you a huge promotion, that you would turn it down and accept less money because you had a couple good ideas while you filled in when somebody was home sick for the week? I guess if you didn't live up to your potential that you should be hated for life because of it.

I guess that entire world are a bunch of jerks. Cause I don't know anybody who would turn down guranteed money.

Why no hatred for all the other players we signed to big money for little return? Lets hate John Butler for it. Without him throwing money around we would've never signed all them overpriced players. Rob was just another one in the list of a dozen.

CHEERS PA You are 100% correct!

Scott
01-23-2003, 06:27 AM
Finally someone makes some sense on this issue, thanks PA. Half the folks that visit this board think I am an idiot for defending RJ.
With all due respect LOG, there are several members of every SB winning team that may not deserve a ring.
Bottom line is that RJ did contribute to 2 wins while BJ was injured. On that fumble against the Steelers the NT had his hands on RJ as he was pulling out from center. The last thing he expected I am sure. Someone on the line obviously did an ole' block on that play.

Ð
01-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Oh yeah. RJ really set the scoresheet on fire in those two games.
Saying he contributed to the win is like saying the beer man in the stands contributed.

That should read "The Bucs won two games despite Rob Johnson's poor play, sacks allowed, etc, etc."

Face it, RJ has had maybe a half dozen pro-level games in his 7 year career. He just plain sucks at the NFL level.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2003, 10:19 AM
If RJ played for the Texans, he would have set an unbreakable record for number of times sacked in a season. He would be an immortal in the NFL record books.

Bert102176
01-23-2003, 12:25 PM
it wasn't all RJ's fault, If you all remember look at how are OL was at the time he was here.

Scott
01-24-2003, 05:51 AM
Doug,
Take your RJ blinders off. Are there now minimum stats that a QB must post to qualify as contributing to a win?
I seem to remember Dilfer doing the same thing for Baltimore a few years ago and he was a freaking hero.
Don't do anything to lose the game, remember?

Ð
01-24-2003, 06:55 AM
Uhhh...who's got the blinders on? :rofl:

His performance has been very plain to see, except for maybe three blind mice...you, some sauce guy & Rj's mother (only because he gives her an allowance).

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2003, 07:13 AM
:lol: three blind mice :lol:

Scott
01-24-2003, 08:23 PM
You did not answer the question, what would be the minimum yards, tds or whatever to state that RJ (or any QB for that matter) contributed to a win?
100 yards? 200 yards?
Maybe he does not get a buckeye for his helmet but the Bucs still won.
I remember TDRJ saying King got the win against the Panthers for tossing a 5 yard pass on the second to last play of the game.

Buffarama
01-24-2003, 09:25 PM
How can anyone not like a guy named Scott that has Dr Evils avatar? LMAO for unoriginal originality :)
How about Nooooooooo Scott!
Puts a grin on my face.

Ð
01-25-2003, 06:56 AM
You sound like Wys, Scott. That's not a güüd thing.

WG
01-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by BigDoug
You sound like Wys, Scott. That's not a güüd thing.

Why's that Doug? B/c he's using the same standards that are applied to every other QB in the league?

Or is it b/c RJ playing behind an OL of:

Fina, Brown, Conaty, Hulsey, and Carman w/ a rookie RB with OL injuries that were quite possibly the worst in the history of the franchise

is compared to a QB that played behind an OL of:

Jennings, Brown, Teague, Sullivan, and Williams w/ a stellar second year RB and backups like Heimburger and a washed up Os to help him out?

Just curious...

Look, everyone knows you guys hate RJ. But unlike Drew, he's not on the team anymore. I really, truly, cannot understand all the personal hatred for the man. He's gone, yet we have numerous very active threads for no other purpose than to wish ill on the man.

It's pure emotionalism, which sure goes a long way into explaining the Ostrich mentality w/ Drew, a QB who puts up only 9 TDs to 18 TOs in 7 losses yet gets a complete pass and many who defend his TOs as meaningless b/c of his seasonal yardage total and had more sacks than both RJ and Van Pelt combined had last season behind a vastly superior line. Then we're expected to believe it was all the OL's fault this season, and all RJ's fault last. It's truly unbelieveable.

Talk about...

:deadhorse

All the while, Drew's supposed to be super b/c of what? B/c he's "better than RJ."

Boy oh boy! Whooowheeee!

:rolleyes:

How 'bout movin' on off of RJ since the man has now officially been off the team for over a year? Or is this something that's gonna irritate all of you to the grave!

It's unbelieveable. Whine, whine, whine,..

Talk about pessimistic! Just wish the guy well in the SB if the Bucs come down to having to start him and move one. Geez! Talk about personal vendetta! The man has absolutely nothing to do w/ the current Buffalo Bills. Nothing!

Scott
01-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Time to ZIP IT!!!
I guess we beat this horse pretty good.

Ð
01-25-2003, 03:41 PM
RJ Sucks

shelby
01-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Voices of reason:

Look, everyone knows you guys hate RJ. But unlike Drew, he's not on the team anymore. I really, truly, cannot understand all the personal hatred for the man. He's gone, yet we have numerous very active threads for no other purpose than to wish ill on the man. The man has absolutely nothing to do w/ the current Buffalo Bills. Nothing!

ZIP IT!!!
I guess we beat this horse pretty good.

i agree with Wys and Scott.

:deadhorse

:lastyr:

Ð
01-25-2003, 03:43 PM
RJ still sucks

shelby
01-25-2003, 03:55 PM
:tongue:

Ð