PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Ferentz is going to listen to offers!

Michael82
01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
I was watching ESPN and they said that Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz is keeping an eye on the firings today and may be interested in a head coaching job, in the right situation. He also knows that there will probably be about 8-12 openings.

Man, I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he will turn out like Saban looks in Miami. He's going to be a damn good coach. And I know many people wanted him the first time around. Why do you guys think? :feedback:

madness
01-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I was one of the ones that wanted him the first time around. Although I really feel comfortable leaving the head coaching decision to the new GM, I'd can MM in a heart beat for Ferentz.

gr8slayer
01-02-2006, 10:30 AM
I would take him too but somehow I doubt that Mularkey will get fired or let go. Even if he does, who's to say he would want to come to Buffalo?

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Green Bay and KC would be alot more alluring to him than the Bills unfortunately.

And both are closer to Iowa City.

Only chance we get him is to get Phill Savage first.

Michael82
01-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Green Bay and KC would be alot more alluring to him than the Bills unfortunately.

And both are closer to Iowa City.

Only chance we get him is to get Phill Savage first.
Or offer his total control...like they the Dolphins did with Saban. :D

X-Era
01-02-2006, 11:08 AM
I was watching ESPN and they said that Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz is keeping an eye on the firings today and may be interested in a head coaching job, in the right situation. He also knows that there will probably be about 8-12 openings.

Man, I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he will turn out like Saban looks in Miami. He's going to be a damn good coach. And I know many people wanted him the first time around. Why do you guys think? :feedback:

How much more exerience as a HC does Ferentz have over Mularkey? Do we want to make it 3 in a row after having our inexperienced HC get questioned by the vets which led to bad mistakes that hurt our future and maybe our present?

What instant credibility does Ferentz bring that makes him worthy of the GM or even HC job?

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Ferentz has 10 years of college HC experiance, and has also been in the NFL as a position coach. His specialty is o-line.

As a Hawkeye I hate to lose him, but he would be a great Head Coach.

I would want Savage or Wolf in as GM though. Then let Ferentz focus on coaching.

hydro014
01-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I know its profootball talk.com but they called this yesterday. Also loo at the latest post about TD

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

It also makes sense to keep an eye on Cleveland. With G.M. Phil Savage's status still up in the air, it's possible that Wilf will eventually hire Savage, who then would help bring Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz to Minnesota. The presence of Brzezinski would give the organization a formidable trio in the scouting, salary cap management, and coaching departments

pintonick96
01-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd love Kirk Ferentz in here. We're guaranteed getting a decent center (Brian Ferentz).

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I say Either Wolf and Sherman or Savage and Kirk. Either way we can't go wrong

Historian
01-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Pass.

Inexperience sucks.

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Pass.
Inexperience sucks.

Oh by the way, the only experianced coachs available are Fired ex coaches.

Genius.

madness
01-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Genius.

:lmao:

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Or offer his total control...like they the Dolphins did with Saban. :D

I'm not a huge fan of that total control thing. Saban is only there a year so it's hard to say it worked. When you look around the legaue over the last decade or so I think it's fair to say that GM/Coaches don't work out very often (I could be wrong but without doing the research that's my impression) Off the top of my head, Holmgren left GB for total control in Seattle only to get the GM title removed later on (I think). Now they are competitive again. Others not sure of...JJ in Miami (?), Parcells in NYJ (?)...

Kerr
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I like him because he's an O-line guru. He would fix the O-line mess for us.

The_Philster
01-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm not a huge fan of that total control thing. Saban is only there a year so it's hard to say it worked. When you look around the legaue over the last decade or so I think it's fair to say that GM/Coaches don't work out very often (I could be wrong but without doing the research that's my impression) Off the top of my head, Holmgren left GB for total control in Seattle only to get the GM title removed later on (I think). Now they are competitive again. Others not sure of...JJ in Miami (?), Parcells in NYJ (?)...
agreed...Holmgren tried doing both jobs and the Seahawks didn't discover success under him until he relinquished his GM duties

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
agreed...Holmgren tried doing both jobs and the Seahawks didn't discover success under him until he relinquished his GM duties

:up:

Agreed - I think the coach needs to COACH and not get into all the nits and grits of running the organization. I do think however it is imperative that the GM and HC have a great relationship because of the player decisions. Both guys need to be on the same page, with a free flow of input in both directions. Glass house player decisions from the GM don't work, and coaches tend not to be the best at the business impact of things. But that's why you need two people to cover the bases. To each his own gifts....and it servers as a check and balance system as well.

Michael82
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
:up:

Agreed - I think the coach needs to COACH and not get into all the nits and grits of running the organization. I do think however it is imperative that the GM and HC have a great relationship because of the player decisions. Both guys need to be on the same page, with a free flow of input in both directions. Glass house player decisions from the GM don't work, and coaches tend not to be the best at the business impact of things. But that's why you need two people to cover the bases. To each his own gifts....and it servers as a check and balance system as well.
Okay, then offer him Head Coach position, and some GM type powers, but still have a GM guy, like a Pioli.

ArcticWildMan
01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I'll pass on Ferentz. Mularkey was hyped as an offensive guru as well and we see how that worked out.

Give me a coach with a track record of winning.......MIKE SHERMAN.

Michael82
01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I'll pass on Ferentz. Mularkey was hyped as an offensive guru as well and we see how that worked out.

Give me a coach with a track record of winning.......MIKE SHERMAN.
I would LOVE Mike Sherman! He'd know what to do with JP Losman too. It would be great!!! :clap:

:pray:

Historian
01-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Genius.

That's exactly the kind of experience that's needed.

Putz.