PDA

View Full Version : My top HC candidates

X-Era
01-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Mularkey probably stays another year, but heres to wishing:

1) Jimmy Johnson- He will never come here but he does it all, demands players play tough, is a outstanding drafter, and has a pedigree to boot. I think that drafts with Jimmy would be a ton of fun

2) Jim Fassell- The reason TD didnt sign him is that he has and ego, as any proven SB coach should, and probably let TD knows that he wont simply be bullied. TD is now gone, Fassell has the right attitude and toughness as a disciplinarian, pedigree as a SB HC, and will demand that we step up and play.

3) Charlie Weiss- He aint going anywhere but, if shown enough money and power, he may bolt for the NFL. He a proven Offensive guy and a coach that gets the most out of underachievers.

After that, Id almost rather stick with Mularkey and get a GM to set his ass straight.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Bobby April...

X-Era
01-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Bobby April...

You have to be joking! Please tell me you are.

Motivating players isnt the entire game. April is an all star at ST's, but he isnt a proven Coord much less a HC.

Hell, lets get Matt Foley to be our new motivational leader, ohh wait Chris Farley is dead.

Seriosuly, lets not waste time with anything less than a true upgrade.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Motivating players isnt the entire game. April is an all star at ST's, but he isnt a proven Coord much less a HC.

Hell, lets get Matt Foley to be our new motivational leader, ohh wait Chris Farley is dead.

You know most head coaches in the league don't call the plays right... They're basically figureheads and quality control guys with motivational duties who get to choose the kinds of systems they want to employ on both sides of the ball. If we give Bobby April Capers on D and Turner on O, and let him maintain his role on special teams, this really isn't a bad idea.

Given that he is a special teams guy, and that special teams pretty much just basically preaches the fundamentals (ball handling, lane discipline, assignments etc...) I think that bobby april could do it - but not with out his hands tied a little bit (stay out of our coordinators ways - and let them call the plays until it gets into a critical situation - whether we punt or not, whether we go for 3, or TD on a goal line stand that reaches 4th down, etc...)

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd say bobby april fills the motivational duties/figurehead/quality control qualifications nicely.

Mudflap1
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Charlie Weis -- he signed a 10 year contract. He's not leaving. There's no chance. I don't care if he gets offered more money, more power. He's not going anywhere. Drop him off of the list.

Jimmy Johnson -- a bad fit here. Nobody likes him in Buffalo. He's cocky, and he likes warm weather areas. He does draft well and build good defenses. Overall though, I don't think he's a good fit in Buffalo.

Jim Fassel -- he's an ok head coach, but not great. He had a nice run with the Giants in '00, but was more of a one-year wonder than a perennial contender. Probably is past his prime. Also is cocky and burns out on his players. We can do much better than him.

Jon

X-Era
01-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Charlie Weis -- he signed a 10 year contract. He's not leaving. There's no chance. I don't care if he gets offered more money, more power. He's not going anywhere. Drop him off of the list.

Jimmy Johnson -- a bad fit here. Nobody likes him in Buffalo. He's cocky, and he likes warm weather areas. He does draft well and build good defenses. Overall though, I don't think he's a good fit in Buffalo.

Jim Fassel -- he's an ok head coach, but not great. He had a nice run with the Giants in '00, but was more of a one-year wonder than a perennial contender. Probably is past his prime. Also is cocky and burns out on his players. We can do much better than him.

Jon
wont disagree on any, but playoff experience is now a requirement. add, maybe top, the list with martz. great o mind, willing to start a young qb, cares about both lines, and playoff/sb experience.my bro mentioned him and i completely forgot to be honest. i hope your version isnt for yet another unproven hc.

Mudflap1
01-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Not Martz!!!

The guy is a mad scientist of an offensive playcaller! The Rams were made to play on astroturf, in domes. It's based completely on speed. Yes, the K-Gun worked for us, but the players were all tough, and we could grind it out when need be. The K-Gun was useless without the run. Martz hates to run. They passed a record amount of times in their Super Bowl win (in a dome) in '00. Martz would be one of the worst choices we could make.

Yes, I agree, a head coach with previous playoff experience would be good, in fact, it should be a main point of consideration. However, any guys like that that are available are available for a reason. They are either old, they were good at one time and have deteriorated, have health problems, are tough to deal with (such as with the players), etc. I think the key is to bring in the right General Manager. If he's the right guy, his job is to pick talent. He'll pick the right coach to lead our bunch.

The GM comes first and foremost right now.

Jon

X-Era
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Not Martz!!!

The guy is a mad scientist of an offensive playcaller! The Rams were made to play on astroturf, in domes. It's based completely on speed. Yes, the K-Gun worked for us, but the players were all tough, and we could grind it out when need be. The K-Gun was useless without the run. Martz hates to run. They passed a record amount of times in their Super Bowl win (in a dome) in '00. Martz would be one of the worst choices we could make.

Yes, I agree, a head coach with previous playoff experience would be good, in fact, it should be a main point of consideration. However, any guys like that that are available are available for a reason. They are either old, they were good at one time and have deteriorated, have health problems, are tough to deal with (such as with the players), etc. I think the key is to bring in the right General Manager. If he's the right guy, his job is to pick talent. He'll pick the right coach to lead our bunch.

The GM comes first and foremost right now.

Jon

Thats a nice dance you just did, basically Ill ask it even more blunt, Do you propose we get yet another HC with no previous HC experience?

Thats more of the same and I aint going along with that. If it aint a true upgrade its most likley a downgrade.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't necessarily want a coach with prior HC experience if he's proven to be lame already - see Haslett, and Martz.

Mudflap1
01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Mike Sherman is a better choice that any you mentioned... Haslett (although I don't want him) is a better choice... Schottenheimer (whom I don't want either, but there is a strong likelihood he'll be let go) would be better...

There are three off of the top of my head...

Jon

X-Era
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Mike Sherman is a better choice that any you mentioned... Haslett (although I don't want him) is a better choice... Schottenheimer (whom I don't want either, but there is a strong likelihood he'll be let go) would be better...

Jon

Well, theres 3 guys that have my only requirement which represents a TRUE upgrade, thats playoff experience and HC experience for that matter.

Sherman? fine, Haslett? not enough proven to be worthy of our HC job, Schott? fine.

onceproudbillsfan
01-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Any coach is an upgrade over Mike Mularkey.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
i like the bobby ape idea im sold

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 10:50 PM

Do you really think there's a true upgrade available?

I sure as hell don't see one - Jimmy Johnson really doesn't sound like it's gonna happen, or else he'd be at the top of my list hands down provided he doesn't want too much authority. I can see how Jimmy Johnson and Ralph Wilson could get into pissing contests as of late too.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM

Jon

Schottenheimer would by no means top my list unless he brought Wade Phillips with him, and he managed to get Norv Turner to be our OC, and left Bobby April, Sam Wyche, Jim McNally and Tyke Tolbert keep their posts.

Bmax
01-03-2006, 01:37 AM
I THOUGHT WE KILLED THIS JIMMY JOHNSON NONSENSE A LONG TIME AGO !!!!!!

Please i know some of you love him .. But let's be serious if this was post about what fantasy coach would like to have coach the bills fine .. BUt it's not.. Vince lombardi has a better chance of coaching in buffalo than Jimmah johnson...

Don't waste your time thinking about a guy who was blown out in his last playoff game as a coach .. 62-7 or have you guys forgot about that also...

Bmax