PDA

View Full Version : Per Mort Marv Back to B-LO?????

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
More to come.

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Looking at the next coaches to be fired, Mularkey's name comes up and he says, new developments out of Buffalo say that Marv Levy may take some role possibly TD's position.

Marvelous
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
STOBIT!! As excited & tingly that makes me feel, i'm a tad nervous... I wan't JJ.!! He can do both and he can work hand -n- hand with our capologist & scouts... Since TD's scouts are TOP NOTCH...

cordog
01-02-2006, 08:15 PM
wow, i dont know how much i trust mort, but wow, if it is true, Wilson isnt b.s. ing.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
wont happen

Demon
01-02-2006, 08:20 PM
where did you hear this? espn radio? espnews???? cuz theres figure skating and the spelling bee on espn and espn2.....!!

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Waz just on ESPN News about 2 secs before I posted. Had the laptop on my lap and typed as he spoke.:bighug:

STAMPY
01-02-2006, 08:25 PM
he's too old.

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Say what you want, I was just relaying info.

SeatownBillsFan21
hes not too old it just wont happen TD stays so does MM thats just the way it goes in B-lo

Demon
I'd definetly take Marv back. They better not play any stupid games and allow Donahoe be the president and Levy as GM..... i want Donahoe fired and gone from Buffalo. Levy would be pretty cool as GM though i won't even lie. I hope he isn't forced to keep Mularkey as coach, but can make up his own mind on Mularkey's future.

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Mort said taking tD's place. You know they are close, TD is gone.

Devin
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I dont know about Marv's GM ability but he knows what it takes to win and I think hes a good judge of the type of players we need.

Most importantly I believe Marv to truly love this team and he will have its best interest in mind.

If it is/isnt him wont bother me, but if it is I have to admit id be a little excited.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 08:32 PM
wont happen

Devin
01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
lol.

According to you a lot of things wont happen.

ZacGriffi~82
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
My friend who works in marketing says he's been a regular at One Bills Drive for the last 2 weeks.

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
wont happen

Medic!!!! Brain Dead patient aisle 4!!!!!:hurt:

Demon
01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
the interview that bidsjr saw will be shown again in a few minutes on espnews because they are replaying the show... every half hour it's the same stuff.

Mitchy moo
01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
been here: please combine posts

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=87688

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
yes then well see whos the liar wont we

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2006, 08:39 PM
He wouldn't be my first choice but if it's between TD or Marv, it's no contest. But he better be able to bring in his own coach. MM sucks. :cow:

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:42 PM
been here: please combine posts

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=87688

Good guess but I have actuall news.:goodpost:

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Mort just said....'We are hearing a new development out of Buffalo in regards to Mike Mularky's status. We are hearing that Marv Levy former HC of the Bills could be returning soon to replace Tom Donahoe'

That was pretty much what he said. That also makes it VERY likely the rumors of Marv as GM and Haslett as HC true. I will say this...Tickets again will sell like hotcakes. It doesn't mean SPIT in regards to fielding a WINNING Team though.

X-Era
01-02-2006, 08:43 PM
ok, its real, i just heard from mort on espnnews.i dont think its a smart move though.levy has done nothing as a businessman to prove he will make quality choices

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Good guess, but I have actual news

Demon
01-02-2006, 08:47 PM
tickets would sell as good if not better as they did this past season if they get Levy and Haslett here.

WOW i'm already gettign excited!

Mitchy moo
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I heard it from very wealthy friends 3 weeks ago, your news is old news. Nice try though but being redundant here isn't cool.

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Good guess, but I have actual news

Huh? And what is this 'actual news'?

hydro014
01-02-2006, 08:51 PM
might as well bring jim kelly in as OC while we are at it! [sarcasm]

Michael82
01-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Marv Levy at GM would be sweet! :bf1:

I'm not sure I like Haslett at Head Coach, but I like how he's disciplined. I don't think he would have let what happened this year, happen here. And he has to be better than Mularkey. :idunno:

Bert102176
01-02-2006, 08:52 PM
am wondering if Marv would hack it as a gm, a hell of a head coach but a gm just not sure but I do believe Haslett will be the head coach this next season

G. Host
01-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Skooby, It is not same thing. One is what a friend told you, the other is a report of news.

If mods acted that way they would combine all of your posts into one rather than letting you create 20 threads a day.

BidsJr
I heard it from very wealthy friends 3 weeks ago, your news is old news. Nice try though but being redundant here isn't cool.

And someone around here since Sept 05 can say what around here is cool is valid????

Finally someone with national credibility says something and I pass it on, is somehow more valid than a Sept 05 register with knowlege from a wealty friend. You all made great guesses, but I am sure unless you and Mort have the same wealthy friend, this is news.:rage:

Devin

Easy killer.

Hes simply reporting what Mort said.

And while not by much Mort > your wealthy friend.

BidsJr
01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Easy killer.

Hes simply reporting what Mort said.

And while not by much Mort > your wealthy friend.

Bingo:goodpost:

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 08:55 PM
wont happen but a bucket of wings and a pizza from la nova is costing me 160.00 am i gettin hosed or what?

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Guys I just feel we are going to be an even bigger joke and circus than we are now.

Look, Ralph needs to cut the BS and open the pocketbook! Call ron wolf, Call Mike Sherman. Hire two established WINNERS! One that knows how to build one and one that knows how to coach one.

The combo is sitting right there. Quit di#@!g Around Ralph.....Git er' done.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
why would Levy be a good GM?

HHURRICANE
01-02-2006, 08:58 PM
ok, its real, i just heard from mort on espnnews.i dont think its a smart move though.levy has done nothing as a businessman to prove he will make quality choices

Marv Levy is smart, Harvard educated, and loves the Bills. TD has had us bumping the cap limit the last 2 years and we suck. What do we have to lose?! Jimmy Johnson fell out of a double wide somewhere on his way to dumb-ass U. I wouldn't trust him with the purse strings.

Hopefully, Levy fires MM but I hope they don't hire Haslett. Of course anything is better than MM and TD!!

lordofgun
Just a reminder...Marv's on record saying we should have kept Drew as our starting QB.

SeatownBillsFan21
yes git er done

cordog
01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Marv has GM experience, he was a GM in the CFL right before he came to buffalo.

Devin
01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
lol

HHURRICANE
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Just a reminder...Marv's on record saying we should have kept Drew as our starting QB.

Marv is like Jesus. If he's talking I am listening. I didn't agree with keeping Bledsoe but if Marv thinks we should have than we should have!! I'm drinking Marv-aid!!:beer:

Demon
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Guys I just feel we are going to be an even bigger joke and circus than we are now.

Look, Ralph needs to cut the BS and open the pocketbook! Call ron wolf, Call Mike Sherman. Hire two established WINNERS! One that knows how to build one and one that knows how to coach one.

The combo is sitting right there. Quit di#@!g Around Ralph.....Git er' done.

Why get Ron Wolf? I'd love to have Levy as a general manager. The guy knows his stuff and will do everything in the best interest of Bills and he, unlike Donahoe, will respect the fans.

X-Era
01-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Marv has GM experience, he was a GM in the CFL right before he came to buffalo.

Thats a nice thing to hear, but it isnt THAT much different than saying a college HC has NFL HC experience.

Those players dont have HALF the talent, ego, or paychecks.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-02-2006, 09:02 PM
the CFL??

G. Host
01-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah Marv said before draft of Losman that Bills ought to concentrate on OL first and not pick a QB or other skill player. Still sounds good. If Marv becomes GM he will not try to keep entire job and bring in more talent to front office and scouting staff.

Demon
01-02-2006, 09:06 PM
All i know is, when Marv was a host on that FOX pre-game show on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings or whenever it was, he always had something good to saw and he won their picks of games lol, that's all i remember was each week each of the 5 hosts would pick the winners, and Levy won by like 4-5 games. lol

L.A. Playa
01-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Skooby, It is not same thing. One is what a friend told you, the other is a report of news.

If mods acted that way they would combine all of your posts into one rather than letting you create 20 threads a day.

:lmao:

X-Era
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Ummm, how much of a jerk can you be?

The guy, possibly, just gave us MAJOR LEAGUE insider info, and you cant give him his props?

If this is true, I would put in the all time BIGGEST earth shaker Bills moves EVER!!!

cordog
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Thats a nice thing to hear, but it isnt THAT much different than saying a college HC has NFL HC experience.

Those players dont have HALF the talent, ego, or paychecks.

He still perfomed the roll as a GM. Im not saying that its NFL GM experience, but he has performed duties in that roll. He has more experience as a GM than Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Mike Sherman, Bill Belichick, and Butch Davis when they took control. And if Marv does take the job, I'm sure he will surround himself with good people.

helmetguy
01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Anyone heard from the Bills' Chef for confirmation?

DaBills
01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
At least Marv knows how to build an OL.

"It doesn't mean SPIT in regards to fielding a WINNING Team though."

I agree. We're still in rebuilding mode no matter who's coach or GM next year, and Marv imo, while bringing instant cred back to the organization, has his work cut out. TD may have gotton us out of cap hell, but ok, where does that leave us now? What have we done in 5 years that's really prepared this team for the future? Imo, nada, with the exception of us having WM, Moorman, Schobel and McGee right now. We got work to do.

Everyone in SF probably thought when Walsh took over as GM with Mooch under him that they were on their way, and look how that turned out.

:afro:

X-Era
01-02-2006, 09:16 PM
He still perfomed the roll as a GM. Im not saying that its NFL GM experience, but he has performed duties in that roll. He has more experience as a GM than Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Mike Sherman, Bill Belichick, and Butch Davis when they took control. And if Marv does take the job, I'm sure he will surround himself with good people.

Hey, there is NO doubt that its better than NO GM experience at all!

Again, if true, and it works out, 2 VERY BIG IF's, This is one of the biggest Bills moves of all time.

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Why get Ron Wolf? I'd love to have Levy as a general manager. The guy knows his stuff and will do everything in the best interest of Bills and he, unlike Donahoe, will respect the fans.

First off Ron Wolf has an established history of being able to field a winner as a GM. Marv has what? 4 Superbowls with Bill Polians players?

Look I liked marv as a HC, but this is a BAD move. Time to let go Ralph. Call Sherman and Wolf and get it done!

Demon
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
First off Ron Wolf has an established history of being able to field a winner as a GM. Marv has what? 4 Superbowls with Bill Polians players?

Look I liked marv as a HC, but this is a BAD move. Time to let go Ralph. Call Sherman and Wolf and get it done!

Yeah, i know.

But i look at it more of Wolf would be coming here mainly because we outbid someone for him service. Levy is coming here to fix the Bills. Wolf has build a great team in the past, but that doesn't mean he will do it again or that Levy can't do it. But, theres too much risk IMO to bring in a guy like Wolf in, who demands so much. Didn't someone say he wanted a small part in ownership?? That's just crazy.

Nighthawk
01-02-2006, 09:22 PM
This would be a terrible move! It proves nothing but that Ralph would like to be 15 years younger and would like to relive the SB years. Problem is, Marv is not the guy to do it. He never once while he was here was in charge of drafting players...how is he qualified? People, get over the past and let's begin building a future.

cordog
01-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Well what the hell, take a chance Ralph. Lets do something unique. Plus it really can't get any worse.

G. Host
01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Ummm, how much of a jerk can you be?

The guy, possibly, just gave us MAJOR LEAGUE insider info, and you cant give him his props?

If this is true, I would put in the all time BIGGEST earth shaker Bills moves EVER!!!

Not as big as you are evidently are on a daily basis.

I explained that there is no reason to merge threads just because he pased along a rumor. Do you know how many "inside" source rumors are posted each year?

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, i know.

But i look at it more of Wolf would be coming here mainly because we outbid someone for him service. Levy is coming here to fix the Bills. Wolf has build a great team in the past, but that doesn't mean he will do it again or that Levy can't do it. But, theres too much risk IMO to bring in a guy like Wolf in, who demands so much. Didn't someone say he wanted a small part in ownership?? That's just crazy.

See that is what I want...Someone that wants to build a WINNER, not someone with a PERSONAL Attachment to the Bills.

I want to finally outbid for someone that is a WINNER! I am sick of the lowballing BS! Outbid to get a guy that has built a winner in here. Bring in a HC that knows him and they know each other, the type of system they want to run, etc and lets get winning!

X-Era
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Well what the hell, take a chance Ralph. Lets do something unique. Plus it really can't get any worse.

It cant? We could be the 49ers.

Lets not get crazy here.

On the surface this move, again if true, can be either the biggest joke ever or the biggest story ever. I think its fair to say that it wont be in between.

Im not sure after wasting a decade with risky moves at HC, every position on the team, and even GM, that THIS is the time to get a green as grass GM in Levy.

I love what Levy brings back to the Bills, but most of a GM's job gets nasty as a negotiator, does anyone believe Levy can be a hard negotiator with the likes of McGahee and Rosenclown?

Seriously?

Mitchy moo
01-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Lets not get crazy here.

On the surface this move, again if true, can be either the biggest joke ever or the biggest story ever. I think its fair to say that it wont be in between.

Im not sure after wasting a decade with risky moves at HC, every position on the team, and even GM, that THIS is the time to get a green as grass GM in Levy.

I love what Levy brings back to the Bills, but most of a GM's job gets nasty as a negotiator, does anyone believe Levy can be a hard negotiator with the likes of McGahee and Rosenclown?

Seriously?

Marv knows people and teaches them how to behave. He helped build a winner here in Buffalo and the guys gave him their utmost respect, can you say that about any of the other head coaches available?

cordog
01-02-2006, 09:40 PM

Lets not get crazy here.

Seriously?

We won 1 more game than the 49ers. Are we really THAT much better than the 49ers? I think we are more of the 49ers than you would like to think. At least their coach played their young QB. Even when this team was out of the running our coach plays a journeyman QB. The coach they have actually doesnt look bad. We may be on our 4th HC in what 8 years?

How much experience did Belichick, Holmgren, Reid or Sherman have when they were given control of the team? Definetly doesnt look like it worked out too bad for NE or Philly.

ParanoidAndroid
01-02-2006, 10:03 PM
You know, I like the idea. Get some people here that love the city and the team who will not sleep until Buffalo hoists a Lombardi.
I really think it could give us an edge that not many other teams have.

JJamezz
01-02-2006, 10:45 PM
You have to remember too that Marv wasn't the *typical* HC - his strength was in organization and leadership. He let his coordinators do their jobs, and didn't really have his hands in that stuff. And as was mentioned, he does have experience as a GM, albeit in Canada.

Now, I don't know if I like it or not, I guess time will tell. There's no doubting the guy is VERY intelligent. And on the radio every week, he sounds as sharp as he ever has.. My concern is his ability to judge talent being sorta out of the loop for so long - regardless of what people may argue, the game has changed a lot since he was in the league. Now that said, if he treats the GM position as he did HC, he will pick good, quality staff & talent evaluators, and TRUST what they have to say - weigh all the factors in personnel acquisition, and pull the trigger.

There's something to be said for a guy who will let the people he hires do their jobs.

Another positive is that, at least from what I can pick up on, Marv is ego-less, and his history in B-lo will make him do whats right (at least in his mind) for the team, and not try to make a big *splash* with contraversial decisions like TD did.

I guess the bottom line for me, at least as of right now, is I truly believe Marv is super intelligent, and loves the Bills & Buffalo so much, that if he had ANY doubt in his mind as to whether he was qualified and able to do the job, he simply would not accept it.. He's a stand up guy.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 11:01 PM
hes not too old it just wont happen TD stays so does MM thats just the way it goes in B-lo

I'm sorry buddy, but TD is gone - if I were in Vegas and someone was dumb enough to make this a possible bet, I'd take it without second thought or hesitation, and I'd put all my money on it too, hell even the pink slips to my cars.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I dont know about Marv's GM ability but he knows what it takes to win and I think hes a good judge of the type of players we need.

Most importantly I believe Marv to truly love this team and he will have its best interest in mind.

If it is/isnt him wont bother me, but if it is I have to admit id be a little excited.

He was a GM in the CFL and built some very competitive teams - I'm all for it.

Billz_fan
01-02-2006, 11:19 PM
You have to remember too that Marv wasn't the *typical* HC - his strength was in organization and leadership. He let his coordinators do their jobs, and didn't really have his hands in that stuff. And as was mentioned, he does have experience as a GM, albeit in Canada.

Now, I don't know if I like it or not, I guess time will tell. There's no doubting the guy is VERY intelligent. And on the radio every week, he sounds as sharp as he ever has.. My concern is his ability to judge talent being sorta out of the loop for so long - regardless of what people may argue, the game has changed a lot since he was in the league. Now that said, if he treats the GM position as he did HC, he will pick good, quality staff & talent evaluators, and TRUST what they have to say - weigh all the factors in personnel acquisition, and pull the trigger.

There's something to be said for a guy who will let the people he hires do their jobs.

Another positive is that, at least from what I can pick up on, Marv is ego-less, and his history in B-lo will make him do whats right (at least in his mind) for the team, and not try to make a big *splash* with contraversial decisions like TD did.

I guess the bottom line for me, at least as of right now, is I truly believe Marv is super intelligent, and loves the Bills & Buffalo so much, that if he had ANY doubt in his mind as to whether he was qualified and able to do the job, he simply would not accept it.. He's a stand up guy.

Very nice post and I agree. Marv wouldn't be able to handle a head coaching job anymore but he still has some football left in him. I would love to see him in a position with the Bills on a consultant/Assistant GM type thing. Something he could do without putting in 60+ hours a week.

On one of his last radio shows (you can catch it here) http://eod.liquidviewer.com/wgr-od/wgr/20050102_marvfinal-1.wma

He was talking about how the Bills used to do things and how they would discuss everything as a group, such as draft picks etc. Everyone had some input and Ralph never had a heavy hand as far as wanting things his way. He seemed to think that TD has been doing all the decision making on such things and there was no discussion amoungst the staff as a group about important decisons such as draft etc.

gr8slayer
01-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Maybe he could come back and be our director of player personel. Kind of like what Dan Reeves did for Houston. It would be great to have Marv involved in something within the organization.

Mr. Cynical
01-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Jimmy Johnson fell out of a double wide somewhere on his way to dumb-ass U.

:lmao:

Nominated for Funniest Post of the Day.

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2006, 12:02 AM

I didn't think of that angle but that's a great point. He is such a class act that if he felt it was too much of a reach he wouldn't take it. Just wish he was 70, not 80, but I guess nothing in life is perfect.

JD
01-03-2006, 12:16 AM
marv will pass away in two years tops, god bless the mans soul. Being head coach of a football team supposedly cuts your life expectancy down right?? And yeah, hes up there...

justasportsfan
01-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Marv couldn't outcoach BB or Saban. We need a coach that can.

gr8slayer
01-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Agreed. But who? Any personal suggestions?

justasportsfan
01-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Agreed. But who? Any personal suggestions? Would've loved Weiss but it won't happen. Hate to say it, JJ could.

gr8slayer
01-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Would've loved Weiss but it won't happen. Hate to say it, JJ could.
Yeah, I personally just dont agree with you and the whole JJ thing. One because I dont think there is any way he comes out of retirement and two because I dont think he would want to come back to such a small market team like Buffalo. Weiss would have been great but I dont think any team had a shot at the guy. I really dont think Mularkey will be outted unless our new GM ( :pray: ) has a guy in mind for the job.

Tatonka
01-03-2006, 12:50 AM
i am really not ok with levy as the gm.. what has he done to show he can be a successful front office guy.. he knows what about the salary cap? has he even been part of a team since the cap was in place? does he actualy know anything about being a gm at all? what role did he play in the draft back when he was coach here? that was polian and butler no?

that has to be a joke... i hope..

haslett on the other hand.. i am warming up to that idea.. some coaches clearly do better in their second shot.. as far as his style of coaching.. i like the disciplinarian style.. i wll be honest.. i dont know that much about how he runs his O and D though..

Demon
01-03-2006, 12:51 AM

i dont think anyone here is saying Marv for coach.... we're all saying Marv as GM.

Crisis
01-03-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm for anyone that will build a freakin' OL at this point.

Devin
01-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Yeah, i know.

:bf1:

this to me is the biggest difference. GM's are mercs. Very few stay anywhere for more then 3-6 years. I dont know how long Levy would be here but I know a few things would happen.

1. The biggest thing that sets Marv apart is he loves the Bills and Buffalo. This is more then a job for him.

2. I know when he leaves he will have the proper people in place to continue into the future. He wont just abandon us.

3. Hes a smart football guy. Hes a motivator but more importantly I think hes a good judge of people and would briing in the personnel to help us succeed.

He may not be the best choice, but if he is in fact named its not going to bother me one bit.

Devin
01-03-2006, 01:35 AM
You know, I like the idea. Get some people here that love the city and the team who will not sleep until Buffalo hoists a Lombardi.
I really think it could give us an edge that not many other teams have.

Exactly what I think. Marv is a Buffalo Bill at heart and I believe if nothing else he will bring people here that can get the job done.

Devin
01-03-2006, 01:37 AM

Agreed and I think everyone knows this would only be a 2-4 year stint. I think Marvs purpose would be to "straighten things out". Put the people in place both in the front office and on the field for the long run.

Mahdi
01-03-2006, 01:42 AM
I would have no problem with having Marv as GM, but at this point I would not want to see a coaching change. MM's playcalling has been garbage but I think that it was more due to the fact that we had no O-line than anything else. He clearly had no faith in the O-line to open holes for Willis which is why he always calls PA's and fakes. This is also consistent with his comment about needing to pick up interior O-linemen in the offseason. I think MM has a vision of how he wants to play offense but has not had the personnel to do the job. Like Parcells says " If you want me to cook dinner, then let me get my groceries" or something like that. Anyway give MM one more year, with the players he wants and I think he'll have it turned around.

However I did not like the QB situation this year and the way he handled it...but I think that will change next season. JP should be the starter. Even if he has to win his job.

CuseJetsFan83
01-03-2006, 02:55 AM
who knows, marv as a "consultant" would be a plus compared to anything else... as gm or HC if not both, would be the best thing...... but him having a hand would be a move in hte right direction.

vicmantak
01-03-2006, 03:16 AM
I like Marv Levy. He really knows how to be surrounded and I can see bringing names like Jim Haslett (as Defensive coordinator) and Mike Tice (as Offensive coordinator)

Tatonka
01-03-2006, 06:25 AM
keep mike tice the hell away from this team.