PDA

View Full Version : Just say no to Marv as GM.

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I know I am going to take one hell of a hit on this one, but as always... I am the realist.

He has been away from the game for nearly 10 years. Sitting and talking for a TV Network is not Being a GM or HC. He has no NFL GM experience. He has no experience negotiation the very intricate details of an NFL Contract. He has no real exp outside of sitting in on Bill polian and John Butlers meetings, on how to evaluate NFL and College talent.

He would be a bad pick as a GM for this team. Look, there are guys out there right now that have been assistant GM's and presidents of player personel for teams that are ready right now to make the move and do a good job of it.

Hell the Vikes tried to interview the Pres of Player personel for the eagles today. Philly said hell no and Andy reid handed him the GM duties to keep him in Philly. That is what I mean.

Look we all love and appreciate marv for those 88-96 years, but it doesn't make him a good candidate for the GM job. In fact, he may fail horribly and I don't want to see that for us, the team or his great reputation.

Please, Ralph....PLEASE pick up the phone and at least talk to Ron Wolf or someone like him. MANY More qualified candidates out there!

G. Host
01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I have no problem with Marv IF he brings in good people to help him. As I said in another thread I do not think Marv will spead him out too thin like Donahoe did and has shown he is able to work with others. He will also repair things with fans and press.

X-Era
01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I know I am going to take one hell of a hit on this one, but as always... I am the realist.

He has been away from the game for nearly 10 years. Sitting and talking for a TV Network is not Being a GM or HC. He has no NFL GM experience. He has no experience negotiation the very intricate details of an NFL Contract. He has no real exp outside of sitting in on Bill polian and John Butlers meetings, on how to evaluate NFL and College talent.

He would be a bad pick as a GM for this team. Look, there are guys out there right now that have been assistant GM's and presidents of player personel for teams that are ready right now to make the move and do a good job of it.

Hell the Vikes tried to interview the Pres of Player personel for the eagles today. Philly said hell no and Andy reid handed him the GM duties to keep him in Philly. That is what I mean.

Look we all love and appreciate marv for those 88-96 years, but it doesn't make him a good candidate for the GM job. In fact, he may fail horribly and I don't want to see that for us, the team or his great reputation.

Please, Ralph....PLEASE pick up the phone and at least talk to Ron Wolf or someone like him. MANY More qualified candidates out there!

You cant disagree with this take at all! But your right, it wont be popular.

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I have no problem with Marv IF he brings in good people to help him. As I said in another thread I do not think Marv will spead him out too thin like Donahoe did and has shown he is able to work with others. He will also repair things with fans and press.

I honestly don't care about the fans or the press right now. And if that is priority #1 to Ralph, we will fail again.

Field a winner. Don't be a jerk doing it, all will be fixed and forgiven. Marv is not qualified at all to be a GM in the NFL, he just isn't.

The money needed to hire all the guys that he would need to help him, would pay for a guy like Wolf etc.

Nighthawk
01-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm with you on this one...NO MARV! Marv is 80 years old! He's never been a GM! He's been out of football for 10 years! I want to move forward, not backward...please, Ralph...don't do it.

Mitchy moo
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I am posting pro-levy, comeback old friend.

G. Host
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I honestly don't care about the fans or the press right now. And if that is priority #1 to Ralph, we will fail again.

Field a winner. Don't be a jerk doing it, all will be fixed and forgiven. Marv is not qualified at all to be a GM in the NFL, he just isn't.

The money needed to hire all the guys that he would need to help him, would pay for a guy like Wolf etc.

Wolf has never said he was willing to be GM again (I think the last quote I heard he was not interested) especially not in Buffalo. And I disagree it would cost that much more to sign a younger assistant with potential especially if Tom M. was canned with Tom D.

I do not think fans/press (aka Jerk Nation) is a priority but it is a factor. I respect your opinion, I just do not agree with but we have had our running debates without rancor for a long time. Leadership is what has been lacking in TD era and last few years of Butler era. TD was given more power than any GM and he messed up because he had too much. It is better that the power be distributed and many minds be working together while concentrating on their area.

ICE74129
01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Wolf has never said he was willing to be GM again (I think the last quote I heard he was not interested) especially not in Buffalo. And I disagree it would cost that much more to sign a younger assistant with potential especially if Tom M. was canned with Tom D.

I do not think fans/press (aka Jerk Nation) is a priority but it is a factor. I respect your opinion, I just do not agree with but we have had our running debates without rancor for a long time. Leadership is what has been lacking in TD era and last few years of Butler era. TD was given more power than any GM and he messed up because he had too much. It is better that the power be distributed and many minds be working together while concentrating on their area.

I understand it is A factor, not THE Factor. Marv is not qualified to be a GM in the NFL. This is just a case of Ralph trusting Marv completely after being burned by TD.

I am HUGE on letting Jim Overdorf handle the cap. Letting Brandon handle all non football ops (Ie the marketing, sales, lease etc) and lastly a REAL QUALIFIED GM just handle football ops. Scouting, drafting, coaching etc. To me that is the right way to run a front office.

Even with all of that, Marv isn't qualifed, he just isn't. Folks need to drop the sentimentality and get with Reality. There are guys on the rise out there that can do a hell of a job for us. That said....BRING BACK DWIGHT ADAMS!!! (For scouting only)

</pre>

G. Host
01-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I have no problem with Dwight Adams (Is he qualified anymore? He has been gone 5 years) coming back to Buffalo on staff by Marv or anyone else. The Bills need someone new to handle ticketing and that damn poor website.

gr8slayer
01-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey coming back after being away from the game for ten years seems to be working well for Joe Gibbs.

Bmax
01-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Marv was a gm in the cfl ..for montreal.. where he won a grey cup.

BMAX

ICE74129
01-03-2006, 07:06 AM
I have no problem with Dwight Adams (Is he qualified anymore? He has been gone 5 years) coming back to Buffalo on staff by Marv or anyone else. The Bills need someone new to handle ticketing and that damn poor website.

Wasn't he forced out about 3 years ago? and BTW just last year he was a consultant for the Chargers draft. Sorry bud, I got ya on this one :-)

Hell I just want him and the new GM to have that press meeting the week of the draft again. It was great listening to him talk about players!