• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

"...lack an edge..."

That is part of a quote from Jerry Sullivan. Yes, I know, Sullivan can be a pessimist supreme but I think he hit on something (something I have been saying in more of a general sense for a while)...

During his talk show Monday night, Sullivan was saying how the younger Bills seemed to "lack an edge"...that they were too "laid back". He also noted that it might be a "generational thing" and said the players in the 90s (across the league just not the Bills) were more football aware, more tough and more intense than players of today.

I think he was right. Too many of the players know each other in the offseason, hang with each other and talk too much. Further, I think it is bigger than that. I think it is this new generation of guys in general. (I'm going to catch hell from the under 30 crowd but here goes). Today's guys have been "feminized" too much and I am not talking about homosexuality or the lack of muscles or anything like that. Take a look at some of the stuff out there for guys now...hair care products? earrings? scented soaps? hoodies?? Guys need to be guys and not worry about the other stuff.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: "...lack an edge..."

To some extent, you could be right. But if this were true, to the point of competition, it would all balance out. Every team would have equal parts estrogen on the roster. The Bills wouldn't be the only ones, therefore it doesn't become a viable excuse (even if it is true that players are softer today).

BTW, hoodies?

Since when is a hooded sweatshirt gender specific, especially to the female side of the spectrum?

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Re: "...lack an edge..."

Originally posted by Jeff1220
      To some extent, you could be right. But if this were true, to the point of competition, it would all balance out. Every team would have equal parts estrogen on the roster. The Bills wouldn't be the only ones, therefore it doesn't become a viable excuse (even if it is true that players are softer today).

BTW, hoodies?

Since when is a hooded sweatshirt gender specific, especially to the female side of the spectrum?
      he point was that this was league wide...just not the Bills...I agree. The players today don't seem to have the same drive or desire.

we had hooded sweatshirts when I was young...two of my favorite sweatshirts have hoods...a "hooded" sweatshirt is not the problem...a grown-man wearing a "hoodie"? No.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
      X