PDA

View Full Version : Bengals making themselves a name.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-22-2003, 08:37 PM
The way the Bengals and Lewis are forcing Spikes to stay where he doesnt want to be, its just unlogical. Every player will see how the Bengals treat Spikes it will scare them off. Not that averaging 3 wins a year isnt scary enough. Who in there right mind would sign with the Bengals. There management is horrible. They have some very good players and they dont help them. Spikes fighting to get out of Cinci is just the beginning. I really think if they put Spikes on a franchise tag he will hold out. He is starting to extremely hate the Bengals.

Why force a player to stay. What can any team bennifit from forcing a player to stay when he wants out?:confused: :scratch:

Buffarama
01-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Maybe they will trade him for Price.

Tatonka
01-22-2003, 09:44 PM
any team can slap a player with the tag.. plenty of teams have done it.. bottom line is.. if he gets the money, he will be happy. that goes for all nfl players.. its a business.

TigerJ
01-22-2003, 10:52 PM
I disagree. Money is a big issue for most, if not all players. Players on the fringe are just happy to have a job I suppose. In any case, money is not the only issue. Tyrannical coaches can be an issue. Ownership/management that is either not committed to winning or not competent is an issue for some players. Spikes seems like that kind of player. I'd say if Marvin Lewis can't turn things around in Cincinnati in a year (6 wins at least next year) the team is in trouble. Fans are going to get even more disgusted and Lewis will be dealing with wholesale discontent. Lewis will be under more pressure to win sooner than GW has been. But then as someone said, maybe the schools in Cincinnati are good.

Typ0
01-22-2003, 11:04 PM
It's also important these guys have a chance to get a ring. No good player wants to never get that chance. These people work hard their whole lives to get to where they are and the superbowl is the ultimate accomplishment in their field. I bet there are plenty of players who will forgo a few dollars to be in a situation where there is a chance they can get to the superbowl as opposed to one where there is no chance. I was very surprised to learn Cinncinnati has no recruiting infrastructure. That alone has destined them to failure.

WG
01-22-2003, 11:14 PM
It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

Cincy is in a bad way. They really need Spikes to stay. Otherwise 1/3 of their D falls off.

Don Cherry
01-22-2003, 11:19 PM
I don't think pissing of Spikes by tagging him will affect other players playing for cincy.

If you a re a decent WR with a career year under your belt- and Cincy wants to pay you 6 Million, and the next best offer ot there is 3 million- you gonna take a 50% paycut just to stay away from Cincy?

I doubt it.

WG
01-22-2003, 11:43 PM
I just don't think that too many players actually concerned w/ winning want to go there. Would you? I'd rather take a mil less and play elsewhere. Their management has proven that they don't back winning. They're consistently under the cap year in and year out. They don't sign the players they need most. They mistreat others. It started w/ Pickens years ago and hasn't stopped since. Dillon had his issues as well. Wilkinson did too if I'm not mistaken. Cincy is looked down on by many players. They're in a class all by themselves. Even Houston was better in their first season. I can see others "reading the writing" if Spikes makes it public that he doesn't want to play in Cincy and they tag him. That doesn't show much respect for the player.

Cincy has a hole to dig itself out of if they expect to be able to attract top talent. It's a big catch-22 for them.

Typ0
01-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Honestly, I think they have changed their attitude a bit over the past two years and I think they are dedicated to putting a competitive team on the field now. The problem is they don't know how...LOL. I mean...if you look at their team on paper they look pretty damn decent. They also got hit real hard with injuries this season. Next season I would say they are probably going to surprise some people. If Lewis is going to be a good coach, he's also going to learn he needs to have guys around who really have their hearts in the games.

WYS you said Houston was better but Cincy beat Houston 38-3 last season.

WG
01-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Yeah, and Cincy lost to Jax and Pittsburgh twice while Houston beat Jax and Pittsburgh. Houston beat the Giants and Dallas too while the Bengals only beat N.O. besides Houston.

Cincy 2-14
Houston 4-12

One game doesn't a season make.

Your point was?

Tatonka
01-23-2003, 10:33 AM
players are mostly about the money... you may not want to admit it, but if the only way that winning a SB or picking a city comes into play is if they are all offering the same amount of money. if one team offers more money, the player goes there... the players that arent like that are so few and far between that you mine as well act as if they dont exsist and assume the worst.

eric moulds was a HUGE surprise to me. i couldnt believe that he stayed. but he is definately in the minority with his attitude.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2003, 10:45 AM
You don't see Cincy out there throwing the money around in signing bonuses. You have to lure people there first in order to scare them away.

colin
01-23-2003, 11:18 AM
they would only get Spikes for one season, it would be a dumb move on their part, who knows what they will do.