X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Maybe the reason we stunk

Was that our QB play was terrible and we had injuries on defense (spikes and Edwards both gone by week 3)!
    Resign our own guys!
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

Re: Maybe the reason we stunk

The OL sucked. The injuries didn't help. Neither QB was a savior. And the playcalling sucked.

It all snowballed.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Injuries are no excuse. We sucked because we suck.

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
        The OL sucked. The injuries didn't help. Neither QB was a savior. And the playcalling sucked.
        It all snowballed.

I've heard the O-line thing for years, but I've got to tell you, Holcomb had all day back there those last few games!

I blame the season on poor QB play, the lack of a plan and injuries on D. I guess we had no real plan for a back up behind Edwards and that combined with the Spikes injury killed our D!
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

I think both QBs did stink - differently. Holcomb has an entirely different set of problems from Losman. We can only hope that Losman will progress with experience. Also the OL played a large part in how both QBs handled themselves and also on how well they produced.

I don't know if Edwards was that big of a contributer on D. Not enough to knock them from 1st in the NFL (2004) to dead last in rushing. Maybe a combination of things - Phat Pat not resigned - Edwards injury - and Adams underperforming most of the year.

Crowell filled in nicely for Spikes. Granted, he is no way shape or form of TKO, but he did well regardless.

Defensive woes? I blame.....

The absence of Dick LeBeau and Gregg Williams. Gray isn't half the man he is when he has the help of either of those two. I would actually like to see Gray and the 46 out of Buffalo before Mularkey.

Because the D needed to fill the gap on the running game, the Bills were playing multiple men in "the box" all season long. This left one-on-one match-ups with the corners. Horrible situtation to be left in on defense, especially the 46.

This also left mismatches with the OLBs covering outside pass routes. This never works well against backs like LT, and Dunn. Throw in TEs like Alge Crumpler, Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates..and the Bills find themselves toast on each play.

Let's also not forget the inept performance by the offense this season. Horrible turnovers in crucial moments, and too many 3 and outs to count on 400 hands. The offense left the d hung out to dry too long, too many times this season as well.

Plain and simple, the defense was outcoached.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
            I've heard the O-line thing for years, but I've got to tell you, Holcomb had all day back there those last few games!

I blame the season on poor QB play, the lack of a plan and injuries on D. I guess we had no real plan for a back up behind Edwards and that combined with the Spikes injury killed our D!
            Probably because the line hasn't been good for years.

I never saw Holcomb with as much time as I see other QBs get. He was a bit more relaxed in the pocket than Drew ever was or JP for that matter.

The playcalling can help the OL too. So I don't know if it's entirely the personnel or not.

You'd be blind to not notice that the offense does not have a shred of identity.

I'm not one of those idiots who fall for the "teams that run the ball x amount of times win x percent of the time." BUT to give the ball to Willis 8-9 times some games is pathetic. And put Shaud in. For what? And the customary Shelton passes, and the one trick flop a game. Have Roscoe throw a pass why don't you?

Botton line... It's hard to pinpoint on problem when it's layers of problems compounding.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
              • Jul 2002

Why did we get murdered in second halfs? Coaching.

Why were we ok on opening drives? Because MM had all week to prepare for that drive. But as soon as the other team adjusted, MM went to ****.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                • Jul 2002

Right about the D Red. And let me add that a defenses best friend is some field position and an O that keeps them off the field. So a breakdown in one of both, and what you have is another snowball.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

4-0 vs. the NFC crap West last year.

0-4 vs the much tougher NFC South this year.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
                    Right about the D Red. And let me add that a defenses best friend is some field position and an O that keeps them off the field. So a breakdown in one of both, and what you have is another snowball.
                    Absolutely right. And without looking it up, I bet we doubled in senseless penalties this season.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                      H to the 12:20
                      • Jul 2002

I'm not sure where the Bills ranked in avg field position, but with what is likely the best ST unit in the league, I'd venture to say that it was quite good. McGee usually got the O to start in pretty good shape. With that in mind, it just compound how bad this offense really has been.

Comment

Working...
                      X