PDA

View Full Version : Now that TD is out...Is the JP era over??

Ebenezer
01-04-2006, 03:16 PM
How many GMs are going to stick with the selections of the guy that was just fired?? I think JP is now in the same situation Rob Johnson found himself in when TD came to Buffalo...he has one year to prove it.

hydro014
01-04-2006, 03:21 PM
I posted this earlier so you guys might find this interesting. I do believe that if JP is around he does have to show the type of improvement that EI showed this year. So here is what i think:

With all this JP talk i thought i would look at how some current and past QB's did in their 1st and 2nd years. I am not trying to compare JP to any of the great QBs, or even trying to say he will be that good, but i thought that the stats were interesting.

G COMP ATT % YDS TD INT PASS RATING
Elway 10 123 259 47.5 1663 7 14 54.9
mario 11 173 296 58.4 2210 20 6 96
kelly 16 285 480 59.4 3593 22 17 83.3
farve 15 302 471 64.1 3227 18 13 85.3
young 14 195 363 53.7 2282 8 13 65.6
montana 16 176 273 64.5 1795 15 9 87.8
aikmen 11 222 399 52.9 1749 9 18 55.7
losman 9 116 233 49.8 1372 8 9 63.5
k. orton 15 190 368 51.6 1869 9 13 59.7
p. manning 16 326 575 56.7 3739 26 28 71.2
carr 16 233 444 52.5 2592 9 15 62.8
macnabb 12 106 216 49.1 948 8 7 60.1
bledsoe 13 214 429 47.9 2494 15 15 65
e. manning 9 95 197 48.2 1043 6 9 55.4

Take what ever you want from these stats but they all look about the same, not good. I am not really a JP fan, but i do know that unless you give the kid a chance to play we'll never know. Also, if you dont give him a half way decent OL you'll never know what he's capable of. I do know one thing if KH is going to be our QB we wont be going very far.

If they think that JP is not our future than get rid of him and bring some other QBs in by, FA, Draft, Trade, or whatever i we just need someone that can be our future, and everyone knows KH is NOT.

Iehoshua
01-04-2006, 03:23 PM
He should get a year. One full year. If he can't get it done and shows no signs of improvement, then he's history.

mush69
01-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Funny you should bring this up, because I was just thinking the same thoughts today at work.

IMO JP and RJ have a lot of things in common, and not just the changing of the guard syndrome. I know I'll probably be ridiculed and hung out to dry by a few people around here, but I could care less. RJ was a bust and I can see a lot of RJ in JP! He will be nothing more than a career backup!

In order for JP to lead a team he has to get his head in control, and although it was big news when JP rolled out the "I play better when I'm mad" line. I thought it really sucked. Just gave me the impression that he doesn't really think about the game at hand and puts his own feelings above the team.

Also, I can't quite remember but didn't old RJ and Moulds have some mixed feeling for each other?

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2006, 03:38 PM
He needs one more year with a real coach and at least a half decent line. If he doesn't show improvement, then you make the move in '07. We should have had more to judge by from this year but :cow: screwed it up. He played KH and we still ended up 5-11. What an ass clown.

Kerr
01-04-2006, 03:41 PM
He'll get a full season. If he regresses then he's gone.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2006, 03:56 PM
He should get a year. One full year. If he can't get it done and shows no signs of improvement, then he's history.

That's what should have happened this year!!

Iehoshua
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
That's what should have happened this year!!
I agree 100%

John Doe
01-04-2006, 04:39 PM
There was a J.P. era?

TacklingDummy
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
If JP was on the Dolphins all you Losmanites would be ripping him.

helmetguy
01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
You want for we should bring TD back? There's security in knowing what's to come, right? Is a bad TD in the hand worth two unknowns in the bush?

G. Host
01-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Since Marv was brought in I think the odds are that JP will get another shot; another GM would try to make his mark by dumping the choices of previous GM but Marv will try to make it work unless MM thinks JP is hopeless.

Marv still needs to bring in a backup from 3-6 round with potential rather than keeping Matthews or trying to find another UDFA gem like previous staff did.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
trying to find another UDFA gem like previous staff did.

:lmao:

I forgot that KH wasn't drafted.

doomsdayvirus
01-04-2006, 08:51 PM
If JP was on the Dolphins all you Losmanites would be ripping him.

moot point.

if jim kelly was on the dolphins we'd all be ripping him too!!

DaBills
01-04-2006, 08:52 PM
JP: 26 sacks in 9 games.

KH: 17 sacks in 10 games.

We're 23rd in the NFL in terms of giving up sacks.

By comparison, Indy was first and only gave up 20 all year. Houston, last as usual with 68.

Marv better fix the OL line first, or the only one who gets another shot at the QB position next year will be any defense we play.

ICE74129
01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Did no one listen to the OWNERS comments? At least Ralph wilson gets it. You can't evealuate a QB with just a few starts and a kid that is essentially a rookie. You just can't.

I would look for the job to be JP's to lose, but he wins it in camp. JP will get 16 full games with better playcalling (hopefully) and a better OL (Most likely)

vicmantak
01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
The answer is really simple:

The JP era was already over when the head coach (or coaching staff...) decided to start the best option to win.

NFL is a crude business and if Mularkey doesn't want to lose his job, he should not commit the same key-mistake again.

If JP is the best option to win... it would be great but if not... start JP would be really detrimental to this organization.

ICE74129
01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
The answer is really simple:

The JP era was already over when the head coach (or coaching staff...) decided to start the best option to win.

NFL is a crude business and if Mularkey doesn't want to lose his job, he should not commit the same key-mistake again.

If JP is the best option to win... it would be great but if not... start JP would be really detrimental to this organization.
See that is crap. This 'best chance to win' will keep ALL Future rookie QB's on the bench for thier careers. NO ROOKIE EVER is going to come in and honestly beat out ANY Veteran. Even Rothlesburger would have sat his first year if not for the injury to the starter in pittsburgh.

So lets can the 'Best chance to win crap'. If JP give us a 50/50 shot then Holcomb give us a 55/45 shot at best. The difference is JP will get better, Holcomb WILL NOT!

So how does JP Get better? By playing. Look at Kyle orton this year. 10-3 as a rookie. Why is that? The VETERANS on that team steped up and supported the kid even though he wasnt the guy they wanted in there. The Defense did their job unlike ours. Their OL, WR's, RB's and Coaches did the same....unlike in Buffalo. The result? Orton 10-3 JP 2-7. Those are the FACTS.

Sometimes you gotta take a step back to make huge strides forward. The problem is we have a handful of worthless, self serving, self centered veterans that took over the team. MM should have put his foot down.

The RIGHT Thing to do is start JP all 16 games next year and let the team know, this is how it is. If you have issues, then you will be fined, suspended then possibly de activated. Ralph showed even moulds that type of crap wont' be tolerated. the FACT RW just put his personal stamp on MM shows he has the owners support 100%.

I just want MM to show some sac and do the RIGHT THING! Start losman all season next year but give him the support he needs. If it doesn't work out after that....cut bait and move on. But not until then.

Tatonka
01-04-2006, 11:33 PM
See that is crap. This 'best chance to win' will keep ALL Future rookie QB's on the bench for thier careers. NO ROOKIE EVER is going to come in and honestly beat out ANY Veteran. Even Rothlesburger would have sat his first year if not for the injury to the starter in pittsburgh.

So lets can the 'Best chance to win crap'. If JP give us a 50/50 shot then Holcomb give us a 55/45 shot at best. The difference is JP will get better, Holcomb WILL NOT!

So how does JP Get better? By playing. Look at Kyle orton this year. 10-3 as a rookie. Why is that? The VETERANS on that team steped up and supported the kid even though he wasnt the guy they wanted in there. The Defense did their job unlike ours. Their OL, WR's, RB's and Coaches did the same....unlike in Buffalo. The result? Orton 10-3 JP 2-7. Those are the FACTS.

Sometimes you gotta take a step back to make huge strides forward. The problem is we have a handful of worthless, self serving, self centered veterans that took over the team. MM should have put his foot down.

The RIGHT Thing to do is start JP all 16 games next year and let the team know, this is how it is. If you have issues, then you will be fined, suspended then possibly de activated. Ralph showed even moulds that type of crap wont' be tolerated. the FACT RW just put his personal stamp on MM shows he has the owners support 100%.

I just want MM to show some sac and do the RIGHT THING! Start losman all season next year but give him the support he needs. If it doesn't work out after that....cut bait and move on. But not until then.

best post i have read in weeks..

Ebenezer
01-04-2006, 11:34 PM

that works...until the owner says "win now"....and apparently at least one veteran has a problem with the kid...it resulted in a broken leg.

hydro014
01-04-2006, 11:35 PM
well said, i couldn't agree more.

ICE74129
01-05-2006, 07:42 AM
that works...until the owner says "win now"....and apparently at least one veteran has a problem with the kid...it resulted in a broken leg.

That veteran, Moulds, Teague, Milloy, Adams and esp Campbell all need to be sent packing. THEN let them know, JP is the guy....if you have a problem speak now because I WILL See it on film. And If I see it on film it will be much worse.

These guys have lost sight, they aren't the coach. Their jobs are to show up, give 100%, STFU and do thier best. That's it.

AndreReed83
01-05-2006, 07:46 AM
So, the team should be butchered because of ONE unproven player? Give me a break. Yea, it will let the team know that this is the guy. It will also let them know that you'd better stay on his good side or else you're out of a job. JP hasn't EARNED the right to send guys like Moulds and Milloy packing.