PDA

View Full Version : So marv will be the GM who isn't a GM? I can deal with it.

ICE74129
01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Lets break this down...

President will be ralph wilson.

The Marketing /Non football ops is going to Be Russ Brandon.

On the football side:

Pro player personel: John Guy with more imput from Modrak.

College Scouting/Draft: Tom Modrak

Salary cap: Jim Overdorf.

So what is there left for a 'GM' to do? Nothing. Not really at all except one thing....coordinate everything. Who do we know that can do that job really well? Marv Levy.

I had SEVERE issues if most of those duties fell to Marv, he just isn't qualified. But managing or Organizing all of those guys is right up Marv's Ally. It also is a calming measure to the fanbase and the media.

Now that the jobs have been allocated to the right and QUALIFIED personel, I don't have an issue with Marv holding a 'GM' / VP of football operations title.

LtBillsFan66
01-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Good point. I can live with that. Maybe some of Levy's winning attitude trickles down.

DaBills
01-04-2006, 06:26 PM
And if MM stays, maybe Levy can be more of a coaching mentor. I can't imagine Marv not wanting to have his hand in that area to some degree. At least he'll be happy with where the ST's are at.

ICE74129
01-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Now keep in mind, Ralph was adimant about the HC not having the GM Micromanage him and or looking over his shoulder.

Man those comments say all you need to hear about what the hell has been going on at OBD. TD HAD to go!

Devin
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Good point. I can live with that. Maybe some of Levy's winning attitude trickles down.

I think/hope thats the idea.

I think Levy is essentially a regulator. Hes here to whip people into shape.

Dont drink the water
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Now if we can get ICE74129 to take over role of Billy Buffalo and have a mascot that snorts, paws the ground and charges it will be perfect!

Meathead
01-04-2006, 06:41 PM
i cool with it

HAMMER
01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Great post Ice, exactly what Marv excels at, unification.

DaBills
01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
" Man those comments say all you need to hear about what the hell has been going on at OBD. TD HAD to go!"

Maybe TD can apply for a gig with FEMA. He's good at presiding over disasters.

Dozerdog
01-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Basically, Marv as a token figurehead.

chernobylwraiths
01-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Maybe the snag is that Marv wants to be coach too? He's 80 and doesn't have much longer in the business. I bet he would love to help get the people himself and coach them. He would have the power that any coach dreams of.

Kerr
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I hope Marv can make Mularkey into a better coach because I couldn't bare another bonehead year of coaching by Mularkey.

Nighthawk
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Basically, Marv as a token figurehead.

I agree...

Bmax
01-05-2006, 12:00 AM
i thought john guy was let go .. giving modrak more say over pro personel.?

Bmax

McBFLO
01-05-2006, 12:14 AM
I dont know if its just me, but Mularkey seemed different, like a weight was lifted off his shoulders. Maybe with a GM who will get us some big men, Mularkey won't be that bad. Especially if Levy is that GM. I'm optimistic about this situation.

Michael82
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
I dont know if its just me, but Mularkey seemed different, like a weight was lifted off his shoulders. Maybe with a GM who will get us some big men, Mularkey won't be that bad. Especially if Levy is that GM. I'm optimistic about this situation.
thats what I'm hoping. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if TD was the one who told him to take over the playcalling, TD told him to bench Losman, and start Holcomb the final two games...and TD told him many other things.

Historian
01-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Ralph can trust Marv.

So can we.

:up:

Bill Brasky
01-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Marv is going to oversee the football operation.

He's basically going to let guys run the show and give his opinion and probably put his foot down or go to RW if **** gets out of hand.

It's not a bad move, if he were running things I would be skeptical, but as an overseer, opinion giver, and evaluator of talent I think this role suits him. Marv has one of the greatest eyes for talent this game has ever seen, remember all the guys he and Butler brought in from no name schools that went on to have great careers - Andre Reed, Steve Tasker, Don Beebe, etc.

I don't think he'd let these guys make a bad decision.

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2006, 06:07 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Ralph has lost touch with what it takes to win. The last thing this team needs is three layers of beaurocracy that includes a so called GM that has no teeth (as evidenced by the comments that MM is safe). No GM worth his salt is going to take over with the stipulation that he has to accept a coach with a losing record.

Bringing Levy on board is nothing but a way for Ralph to feel like he is doing something by hiring an old friend that reminds him of the glory days gone by.

ICE74129
01-05-2006, 07:28 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Ralph has lost touch with what it takes to win. The last thing this team needs is three layers of beaurocracy that includes a so called GM that has no teeth (as evidenced by the comments that MM is safe). No GM worth his salt is going to take over with the stipulation that he has to accept a coach with a losing record.

Bringing Levy on board is nothing but a way for Ralph to feel like he is doing something by hiring an old friend that reminds him of the glory days gone by.

I dunno bud. I think teams put too much on a GM. I like the fact all Modrak has to do is scout both college and the FA's and draft. I like the fact Brandon handles the non football ops and Overdorf handles the cap. Each guy now has no real stress other than his main focused job.

Now bring back ralph to just manage those guys. He will keep them motivated, inspired and most importantly SUPPORTED. they need an ear, he is there. they need a little boot to the butt he is there. But with Marv (Unlike Der Fuhr Donahoe) there is no BS. You know the man supports you, likes you and wont' screw you over.

This may actually work out well. The key now is 1) make MM Get another Strengh and conditioning coach in here (Come back rusty!!!) 2) Make MM get an OC worth his salt in here and make him hand over all playcalling. 3) make MM put JP in there and have the veterans know 'he is the starter, support him or else!' 4) Get some real talent in here on both lines.

We do that, I think with next years schedule 9-7 is doable