Why are Buffalo fans so freakin negative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Why are Buffalo fans so freakin negative?

I really can't believe how many people are ready to write off the season based on last nights game! I am convinced if our first team played the Bengals first team all night we would have blown them out! In our three times with the ball we moved at will!
    There were more positives last night than there were negatives IMO. Sure we have to establish a running game if we are going to be successful. But it was 3 FREAKIN SERIES that our O was out there! If they would have stayed out there and kept burning them with the pass the Bengals would have had to ajust and then the running game would have opened up. I don't care if you have all pro bowlers on your line. WHen a D is playing to stop the run you take what they are giving you!

I am not one of these a$$kissers that says you must support your team and praise them no matter what but for goodness sake, some people will gripe if we win every game! Give me a break! :angry: :drinker:
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

I agree completely.

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

I know what you mean. We have guy in my section we call the "***** Guy." He used to complain we weren't running the ball enough when we were throwing TD strikes and complain about the lack of a passing game when we were running all over the opposition. My point is, he hardly complained all night long last night.
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Wys Guy
        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
        • Jul 2002

Let's see what the Minnesota game brings us...

Better to "gripe" now and hope that someone over at 1BD reads this and decides to look into why Henry can't seem to run the ball consistently and make the appropriate adjustments before game 1. Otherwise, if the coaches know so much, then how come Henry can't seem to run except vs. only the worst couple of rush Ds in the league?

I know some of you haven't spent much time watching Drew other than when he's played us, but if you had, then you'd know that he isn't exactly at his best, which is to be expected to a degree w/ all QBs, when he has no running game to compliment. IMO, he's worse than most under pressure. He has no mobility and makes critical errors under those circumstances.

One opening drive against a team that was 6-10 last year, when they had no idea what to expect, is also not enough to make me wager a dime on the notion that somehow as a result we'll be 12-4 this year w/ the league's #4 ranked O.

Quite frankly, other than that opening drive, IMO we weren't impressive at all. STs was good.

I think a lot of this excitement is still here due to the new faces and the notion that we're still in preseason.
        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
          • Jul 2002

It is funny in a way Philster. I sit in sec 337 but we moved down to the scoreboard endzone for the second half. This guy in front of us was having a coranary watching the bengals run all over the third stringers. He was *****ing about "they suck", " why can't they stop the run" etc............. It was amusing. I tried telling him relax, most of these guys will be working at burger king in 3 weeks but it did not help.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
            Let's see what the Minnesota game brings us...

Better to "gripe" now and hope that someone over at 1BD reads this and decides to look into why Henry can't seem to run the ball consistently and make the appropriate adjustments before game

Come on now Wys.........do you really think OBD has to read it here to work on the run game? I don't think GW is the best coach but I think he is sharp enough to study the film and work on improving the running game without us telling him he needs to!

As for Bledsoe....he was very good IMO. One bad throw which was underthrown or it would have been a TD. Not a misread of coverage as you said in another thread! Admit it...........unless he plays a perfect game you will bash him. You just don't like him which is your perogative.:)

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

B2R46,

I don't think I'm bashing Drew at all. I am downplaying a first drive of the very first preseason game vs. a secondary featuring 2 no names, a rookie, and Burris, that many seem to be using as a justification as to why we're now destined to win the division.

Honestly, if you remove that first drive, are you impressed by the rest of the game? I'm not. The second TD came as a result of Cincy having been set up at their own 10 by an INT and giving us a very short field. W/ our D, I'm surely not counting on that to happen very often. Certainly not against most of the teams that we face who have RBs destined to be amongst the top RBs in the league and most of which will challenge for the NFL rushing title this year.

If GW is so astute in 'fixing' our rushing game, then why is he trying to dish Bryson when we don't even know if Henry's the guy. All that is is hope based on potential and expectations. Gee, it's not like we've seen that turn out opposite than expected in the NFL for any given team before.

Henry needs to show something, and if GW isn't careful, and waits until the season opener to establish whether or not Henry's the man, he could very well be faced w/ opening 1-4 or 0-5.

I saw more to indicate that we'd be in trouble vs. the Jets yesterday than I did to demonstrate to me that we'd beat them. W/ yesterday's team on the field, yes, even the starting D, I would fully expect Martin to have 200 yards rushing and 2+ TDs while allowing the Jets to completely dominate ToP and the clock and keep our D on the field way too long. I also didn't see enough to get me all hooped up that Henry would counter w/ a 140 yard game of his own on more than 4 ypc.

I'm not gonna put all my credence in one drive clearly set up to give the O some confidence and to remove the butterflies from Drew. Great move BTW, but our next move, given that GW is apparently so shrewd, would be to pound the running game next week until Henry has 4.0+ ypc. He plays the entire game behind whatever OL we want until he does that. If he can't do that in any of our preseason games featuring last year's 30th, 25th, and 23rd ranked rushing Ds, then I would politely suggest to GW that perhaps Bryson be given chance or some other arrangements be made.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Ahhh--

When we started this site exactly 4 weeks ago, I was becoming a bit nervous. Not much football to report in July, and everyone was posting threads on their favorite music, playing games, bla.. blah.. blah..

Now we get to brass tacks. One game and everyone has kicked into "Season Mode". We have our eternal optomists, those doggone pessimists, and every expert on how to fix the team tomorrow in between. I Love it!!

Keep it coming guys and gals... 5 more months of it on tap!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

And people were worried about the "real Wys"...

LOL

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                      • Jul 2002

B2R46,

Honestly, if you remove that first drive, are you impressed by the rest of the game?

I was impressed by the first team offense. WHo cares if they had a short field for the second TD. Last year we would have had 2 imcompletions, a sack and a punt with that short field! A sign of a good team is they take advantage of the short field! Not saying we will win the division but I see improvement.
                      Who cares about the rest of the game! If those guys end up playing we are in trouble anyway so lets pray we stay healthy this season.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

Well, OK then. I don't know what to say if 7 carries for 11 yards impresses you. It has me dearly worried!

On that second drive, Drew was sacked after a 1 yard run by Henry leaving 3rd and 11. It was only due to Drew's passing that we managed to score. Again, look at the secondary. I don't know why everyone thinks Cincy has a good secondary. Sure, they had the 12th ranked pass D last year yardage wise. But they only played 5 games vs. teams in the top 20 passing Os, and they were Detroit, T.B., Buffalo, Tennessee (2). I mean check me if I'm wrong, but not one of those teams was considered a passing powerhouse last year and those were the best passing teams that Cincy faced.

I think yesterday was overrated and everyone jumping to rash conclusions that b/c we lit up Cincy for two drives, one short one, that we're somehow now poised to do great things.

There's no apparent concern over our inability to run at all against Cincy w/ our first unit on the field. It's all excuses about who's playing what position on the OL. Teague for example; some of the same folks talking about how great he was b/c he could "play any position" and has in the past, now he's criticized for playing poorly and given the excuse that he's not played C this year yet. So which one's it gonna be? We can make excuses to be blue in the face. But I'm tellin' ya, I don't care who's playing OL, they had better be able to block and open some holes for Henry.

Meanwhile, Henry has his own thing to prove. If he's here under the impression that he's a shoe-in as starter, then GW needs to communicate a few things to him. He didn't play nearly well enough at any point so far during his short NFL career to indicate that he's anything more than an RB w/ tremendous promise trying to win a starting job. Yesterday did very little to dispel that, IMO.

He had better learn to take advantage of any hole that the OL generates and to even make more out of less at other times when counted on. No one seems to get the notion that Drew's in a world of hurt if we can't find an, A. consistent and B. productive running game.

We will be down late in games. You can count on that given the schedule we face w/ the RBs attached to those teams and those teams' proven rushing effectiveness. So Drew will be relied on enough. Hopefully we won't be down by that much late.

Me, I'd quite prefer if we weren't down! If we were up by 20 points going into the 4th Q ala Spurrier's philosophy. That is only gonna happen if we have a top 10 rushing game. Right now, we've not shown that we're any better than last year's 22nd ranked rushing team. We're not gonna be an offensive powerhouse w/ a 22nd ranked rushing O.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

That's why we keep Bryson in the mix. I think we should see what Bryson can do with the first unit .

It was clear that what GW wanted to do was put the ball in DB hands. Maybe the next game he may want to run the ball more.

Let's wait and see.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                            • Jul 2002

[B
                            I think yesterday was overrated and everyone jumping to rash conclusions that b/c we lit up Cincy for two drives, one short one, that we're somehow now poised to do great things.

[/B]

I don't think anyone is jumping to conclusions that we are going to do great things. I know I am not. I am just pointing out improvement!
                            I see people pointing to mass destruction of our season because we could not run the ball. If it continues to be a patteren I too will become concerned but not off 1 game.

You are helping to make my point WYs when you say we lit up a bad secondary! Is not it smart to go after a teams weakness? They are strong against the run. Why try to run the ball on a good run defense when their passing D sucks. Go after their weekness expecially if it is your strength which it looks like it will be ours.
                            I am not ready to say our running game is going to blow off of 1 game which seems to be the point you are making?
                            I agree with you........if they do poor again next week agains Minny I will become a little more concerned but I think they will be able to run on them so I am not going to get all worked up about it until they play. That is all I am trying to say.
                            What if we run for 100 yds in the first half next week but the passing game is not sharp? Will you than bash the passing game and ignore that we ran well like you are doing this week?

Comment

• shelby
                              The Vanilla *****
                              • Jul 2002

when was the last time the Bills ever excelled in the preseason?

Comment

Working...
                              X