PDA

View Full Version : Favre to retire?

Gunzlingr
01-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Favre not Expected to Return
John Clayton (http://www.kffl.com/link/125), of ESPN.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/9), reports Green Bay Packers (http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl) QB Brett Favre (http://www.kffl.com/player/764/nfl) is not expected to return to the team in 2006.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2006, 11:06 PM
THAT SUCKS.

I really hope its not true. The greatest QB of all time (IMO) shouldn't go out like he did. That offense was decimated with injuries. He should play one more year.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Maybe he'll become a free agent. Buffalo should sign him. He's better then anything we got.

DaBills
01-04-2006, 11:38 PM
If it's true, cheers to the cheesehead. A great ****ing QB.

Tatonka
01-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Maybe he'll become a free agent. Buffalo should sign him. He's better then anything we got.

I KNEW someone would make a totally assinine post like this.

Ickybaluky
01-05-2006, 04:37 AM
That is too bad, he is only 22 picks away from the All-Time Career Interception Record.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2006, 10:34 PM
That is too bad, he is only 22 picks away from the All-Time Career Interception Record.

:rolleyes:

How childish to hate on Favre. One of the classiest guys to put on an NFL uniform. Great QB. If you want to start with the stats, why not list a few others like his total touchdowns, yards, W-L record, etc? He totally loves the game, played through major personal adversity and basically single handedly brought the Pack back to respectability. Is fun to watch. And above all is not an a**hole usually associated with a player of his success.

Childish.

:shakeno:

Iehoshua
01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Favre may be good overall in his career but lately he's been playing downright pitifully.

LtBillsFan66
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
THAT SUCKS.

I really hope its not true. The greatest QB of all time (IMO) shouldn't go out like he did. That offense was decimated with injuries. He should play one more year.
Play one more year to embarrass himself some more?

L.A. Playa
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Ya the Bills should sign him he can teach JP how to throw 30 INTS in 1 year

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Please. Tell me you're not going to try and make an argument against Favre based on this one season. (not even taking into consideration Green, Walker, his 2 starting OL and others were out)

Last year he had 30TDs and 17INTs. Last year, not 3 or 5 years ago, so it's still a relevant stat. And the last time he had more INTs than TDs was 1999 - Rhodes's first and only year as head coach - and it was 22TDs/23INTs. After that you have to go back to his second year in GB (1993) where he had 19TDs/24INTs.

So that's it. 3 years in his entire 15 year career where he has tossed more INTs than TDs. One at the beginning, one in the middle and one this year (and that's because he tried to carry the team....it was decimated with more injuries on offense than any team I can remember)

Given his overall stats, W-L record, number of times he willed the team to victory and made them play above their limits, etc., etc....I think it's safe to say he's earned a few mulligans. And again, it is only because he had a depleted team around him that he tried to carry.

Can he do what he used to do? No. Do I want him here? No. Do I think he can still play better than half the QBs in the league? Absolutely. And does he deserve respect? More than 99% of the current players in the league.

Ripping on him is just plain stupid. But go ahead, no skin off my back.

L.A. Playa
01-05-2006, 11:19 PM
im just joking around

Ickybaluky
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
:rolleyes:

How childish to hate on Favre. One of the classiest guys to put on an NFL uniform. Great QB. If you want to start with the stats, why not list a few others like his total touchdowns, yards, W-L record, etc? He totally loves the game, played through major personal adversity and basically single handedly brought the Pack back to respectability. Is fun to watch. And above all is not an a**hole usually associated with a player of his success.

Childish.

:shakeno:

Save your preaching and self-rightiousness attitude. I'm a big Brett Favre fan, always have been. I just stated a fact. He is only 22 picks from the all-time NFL record for interceptions. That is because he still has his trademark confidence, but doesn't have the ability he used to. Favre's trademark was his ability to improvise plays and make something where there was nothing. He would make plays no one else could, and only he could get away with it. The last couple seasons his play has eroded, and he makes a lot more negative plays. That is what I'm referring to, and why I don't see his retirement as a sad event. It is time.

That is just a statement of fact, not hating on the guy. I don't see his retirement as sad event, the time has come.

Favre is a sure HOF, his the three-year straight MVP performances rank him among the best of all-time. I think Montana was the best I've ever seen, though.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Save your preaching and self-rightiousness attitude. I'm a big Brett Favre fan, always have been. I just stated a fact. He is only 22 picks from the all-time NFL record for interceptions though. That is because he still has his trademark confidence, but doesn't have the ability he used to. Favre's trademark was his ability to improvise plays and make something where there was nothing. He would make plays no one else could, and only he could get away with it. The last couple seasons his play has eroded, and he makes a lot more negative plays. That is what I'm referring to, and why I don't see his retirement as a sad event. It is time.

That is just a statement of fact, not hating on the guy. I don't see his retirement as sad event, the time has come.

Favre is a sure HOF, his the three-year straight MVP performances rank him among the best of all-time. I think Montana was the best I've ever seen, though.

What a load of crap. You didn't just state a fact. You ripped him (however facetiously it may have been) and now you feel exposed and are trying to tap dance.

And P.S. - that's the first time I've ever heard someone call 30TDs, 17INTs and 4,088 YDs as "eroding". That was last year, not 3 or 5 years ago.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
im just joking around

My bad....

It's all good. :up:

audio/s
01-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Its bad that BF is leaving but there is a positive and a negative to this the positive is that most great QB's (off the top of my head Elway Marino(UGH) and Aikman(UGH again)) become pretty good and comedic broadcasters but the negative the brilliant BF most likely wont be a coach in the NFL most likely almost no QB's do.

Ickybaluky
01-05-2006, 11:50 PM
What a load of crap. You didn't just state a fact. You ripped him (however facetiously it may have been) and now you feel exposed and are trying to tap dance.

And P.S. - that's the first time I've ever heard someone call 30TDs, 17INTs and 4,088 YDs as "eroding". That was last year, not 3 or 5 years ago.

I didn't say he sucked, the guy has been one of the better QB in the games the last few years, and even now is probably better than most in the NFL. Up until this year he has had good offensive talent around him as well, and he has put up consistent numbers.

That said, he hasn't been Brett Favre in a while. Don't forget the playoff meltdowns of recent seasons, including a 5 Int performance against the Rams and a 4 Int performance against the Eagles. As much as I admire Favre's career and love watching him play, I recognize what I see. He isn't exactly "Mr. Big Game" anymore, which is sad because he used to be great in the clutch.

When Brett was in his MVP form he would improvise plays and 9 times out of 10 make big plays for his team. The last few years he has been able to do that less, and now when he improvises plays he is just as likely to hurt his team has help them. He still has that gunslinger's confidence, but he just can't do it like he used to. Unfortunately, he still tries. In some cases his confidence hurts him, and he makes some bad throws because he thinks he still can.

Favre is an all-time great, without a doubt. But he isn't the same player any more, and I just don't see the tragedy of his retirement. Great player, had a great run.

The comment I made was meant as tongue-n-cheek, meant because I think the time for his retirement has come. It wasn't meant to diminish his career. I think it does demonstrate, rather clearly, that he isn't the same guy. Perhaps the tone of the post would have been clearer if I had used one of those smiley things, but I disdain them and refuse to use them. You won't find them in any of my posts.

Kerr
01-05-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't like Farve. I could care less if he's gone.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
The comment I made was meant as tongue-n-cheek, meant because I think the time for his retirement has come. It wasn't meant to diminish his career. I think it does demonstrate, rather clearly, that he isn't the same guy. Perhaps the tone of the post would have been clearer if I had used one of those smiley things, but I disdain them and refuse to use them. You won't find them in any of my posts.
Yeah, that would have definitely made your intent clearer. I know you hate smilies, but unfortunately in the world of email/forums there are no facial expressions or voice inflections to show the intent.

Anyway, I hear what you are saying about his play not being what it used to be but I still think he can play at a high level, moreso than half the starting QBs in the league right now. I don't think he would be taking as many chances if the team around him were better, although I know as a gunslinger he would still take some (but that's why I like him)

IMO he should not retire. He still can sling it harder than most..still has the fire...and also has the experience of 15 years under his belt. That's a very potent combination if given a good (not even great) team around him.

Bottom line is that the league is better with him than without him. He is one of those "special few" like Sweetness, Singletary and Barry. All class and think it is a privilege to play, not a right.

AndreReed83
01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
It's too bad Green Bay's management decided to make him a sitting duck and not resign those guards. That gave this team no chance this year.

Billsrock4life
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
i wouldnt b suprised if he dosnt return..... especially after this past season

tat2dmike77
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
To bad to see him go he's a great QB despite the past year. No body was tougher, professional, and caring then favre during his time in the league.

Please guys don't start with the bills should him stuff.

And bret if you do read this just retire as a packer don't pull a Joe.