PDA

View Full Version : WGRZ is reporting that Marv is the next GM of the BILLS

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Several news outlets are reporting Levy has arrived in Buffalo and is prepared to accept the GM job.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=34254

mybills
01-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Prepared to accept the GM job???
It says, "The shakeup means 81-year-old Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy will help find the team's next general manager. Wilson himself will be team president."

:scratch:

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Ralph is losing it. Hiring Levy isn't going to bring back the glory days of the 90's. We need a GM that can make some hard decisions and get this team headed back to a winning attitude.

Marv was a great coach and I have the utmost respect for him but he is not the answer as a puppet GM.

I fear we are resigned to years of mediocre football until Ralph dies and the team is sold and moved.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Bottom line is this:

Levy is 80 and doesn't want a 70 hour a week job, and he doesn't want to move to Buffalo.

Modrak doesn't want to move to Buffalo.

Ralph has to find someone who does.

Historian
01-05-2006, 06:14 AM
WYS would do it...

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2006, 06:16 AM
:ill:

Wys would fire everybody except Moorman.

Historian
01-05-2006, 06:26 AM
At least the food at the concession stands would be good...

:D

TypicalBill
01-05-2006, 06:27 AM
No he wouldn't, Josh Reed would stick around :up:

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2006, 06:33 AM
At least the food at the concession stands would be good...
:D

:hungry:

elltrain22
01-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Call me crazy, but I am happy w/ this move (that is, if it all goes down). Marv is really old, and yes, this move is a bit desperate, but let us not forget that Marv is a smart mo fo... He has a history of making great decisions that impacted our great teams of the 90s, and who's to say he hasn't lost that ability. Yes, today's athlete is alot different than 10-15 years ago, but I still think he will be smart enough and work hard enough to produce a better product that TD.

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Polian made the decisions that molded this team in the 90's. Marv just coached the players Polian drafted/signed. Any coach could have taken a team to the playoffs with the talent we had back then.

Historian
01-05-2006, 07:06 AM
True.

But when I think of Levy's finest hour, I think of September 16, 1990.

The Bills are getting pummelled by the fish 30-7, and Bruce Smith starts shooting his mouth off to him on the sideline.

Levy quiets him down, then holds a team meeting the next day, and tells the entire team that no one person is more important, and that no one is above getting cut. He promptly fines four players.

The team wins the next eight games in a row, on route to their first Super Bowl.

On that day, he went from a good coach to a hall of fame leader, IMO.

I trust he will make the right decisions in his current position.

X-Era
01-05-2006, 07:13 AM
True.

But when I think of Levy's finest hour, I think of September 16, 1990.

The Bills are getting pummelled by the fish 30-7, and Bruce Smith starts shooting his mouth off to him on the sideline.

Levy quiets him down, then holds a team meeting the next day, and tells the entire team that no one person is more important, and that no one is above getting cut. He promptly fines four players.

The team wins the next eight games in a row, on route to their first Super Bowl.

On that day, he went from a good coach to a hall of fame leader, IMO.

I trust he will make the right decisions in his current position.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

Marv was a calming and motivating force for the bickering Bills and the very large ego's. He still managed to get these guys to play together and show the mental toughness to win.

Now, Im still hung up on Ralphs comments about the GM having no say in the coaching part. To me that seems to mean, Marv wont be able to instill the aforementioned things into this team.

If he IS a major part of changing the football mentality here, we could be in for a HUGE positive shift.

Romes
01-05-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but this is from a John Clayton report posted last night:

Marv Levy won't be announced for his front office role until Thursday or Friday, but he is coming. He's a general manager who isn't really the general manager. His job is to advise and evaluate. Owner Ralph Wilson will rely on Levy to give a true evaluation as to whether Mularkey is the right coach for the Bills. Mularkey has three more years on his contract, but 2006 will be a critical year for him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john

Looks like it will be Modrak making the personel decision with Levy overlooking and reporting to Wilson.

To me it looks like Wilson is hiring someone he knows he can trust to give him a fair evaluation of the team, for this Levy is the only man for this job.

Turf
01-05-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but this is from a John Clayton report posted last night:
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john
Looks like it will be Modrak making the personel decision with Levy overlooking and reporting to Wilson.
To me it looks like Wilson is hiring someone he knows he can trust to give him a fair evaluation of the team, for this Levy is the only man out their for this job.

Not far off from what I said yesterday. Modrak will be Marv's eyes and ears and body. Marv is the computer GM, Modrak gets his hands dirty. Ralph trusts no one right now so he brought in Marv cause Ralph knows they're close and he needs help at his age.

Historian
01-05-2006, 08:01 AM
One other thing too...

Marv's teams did three things that I've never seen the Bills do, nor have seen them do since.

1. They were always in condition. (Despite the fact that camp was nicknamed, 'Club Marv")

2. Once they got up on someone, they kept hammering them. There was never a letup.

3. In a close game, towards the end, they could control the ball and kill the clock.

Perhaps he can whisper how into MM's ear.

Typ0
01-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Where did anything say the GM would have no say on the coaching part? What Ralph said was MM was not going to be put in a situation where a GM was constantly looking over his shoulder...any idiot would know that will never work. Ralph also said he was in charge of the play calling.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Marv is the modern day Harvey Johnson, right Billsology?

Historian
01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
More the modern day Lou Saban.

Both were moderately successful.

;)

madness
01-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I think would be very valuable to the organization. Now that RW is the president he will rely quite heavily on Marv's input. Marv knows football. There is no doubt about that. Plus he'll be instrumental in helping MM become the coach everybody expects him to be.

dannyek71
01-05-2006, 08:52 AM
How come some reports have Levy 77, others 80, others 81?

dannyek71
01-05-2006, 08:54 AM
My prediction: Marv is a consultant to the team. MM gets fired in the middle of the 2006 season. Marv starts coaching again. It goes down somewhat like the Miami Heat situation

Historian
01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
How come some reports have Levy 77, others 80, others 81?

They didn't really keep good records back in the 17th century.