PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mularkey

Mahdi
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Obviously lots of us on this board wanted MM fired. But I think he desereves one more year with a solid O-line and D-line to work with. If everyone can give McNally a pass on a crappy O-line because he had virtually nothing to work with, then why doesnt Mularkey get a pass for not having an O-line and D-line to work with? It's exactly the same logic. And no matter what, you never win in this league without a strong or at least above average O-line and D-line. I'm willing to give MM one more year to right the ship, provided we bring in some solid linemen, otherwise it will be the same old story no matter what coach was here.

Turf
01-05-2006, 05:56 PM
I think his play calling and trick plays are the most worrisome traits he has.

dolphinssuck
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
MM had some bad playcalling problems quite often and benching JP and stunting his opportunity to gain valuable exp was just plain stupid. Hopefully now that TD has gone some of this will improve and he'll use better judgement overall.

ublinkwescore
01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
MM had some bad playcalling problems quite often and benching JP and stunting his opportunity to gain valuable exp was just plain stupid. Hopefully now that TD has gone some of this will improve and he'll use better judgement overall.

Only time will tell if he hires a top-notch OC that he doesn't have to revoke playcalling duties from - if we can get that far, and get McNally some talent I'm ok with Mularkey too for one more year - it's up to him to sink or swim - hopefully he swims, but if not, we're all used to being in this boat and unfortunately we'll be enduring it for at least one more year.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
:no:

MM had two years to show leadership, playcalling ability and fire. He didn't show any of those.

FIRE HIM NOW.

Drive 4 Five
01-05-2006, 11:14 PM

MM had two years to show leadership, playcalling ability and fire. He didn't show any of those.

FIRE HIM NOW.

:cow: showed all of those things you just described (Mr. C.) in his 1st season. One good season - one bad one.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
:cow: showed all of those things you just described (Mr. C.) in his 1st season. One good season - one bad one.

I disagree....how can you lose leadership ability and fire in one offseason? He never had it IMO.

audio/s
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
As i recall one of mularkeys"trick Plays that worlked was last year when Drew fake qb snuck(plural of sneak?) and lateraled to WM for a 1st and more. (please correct me if im wrong)

mybills
01-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Obviously lots of us on this board wanted MM fired. But I think he desereves one more year with a solid O-line and D-line to work with. If everyone can give McNally a pass on a crappy O-line because he had virtually nothing to work with, then why doesnt Mularkey get a pass for not having an O-line and D-line to work with? It's exactly the same logic. And no matter what, you never win in this league without a strong or at least above average O-line and D-line. I'm willing to give MM one more year to right the ship, provided we bring in some solid linemen, otherwise it will be the same old story no matter what coach was here.

I said the same thing and was laughed/yelled at. I'd give him one more year out of the three. It's tough for new players to gel, then you throw in a new GM, D coach, O coach...jeesh! They have something with MM, be it something small, but I can't see starting over with a new HC. I think MM can & will have more weapons to work with, especially if the new GM hires someone who knows how to pick in the draft. :shakeno:

mybills
01-06-2006, 05:50 AM
And hopefully Marv WILL look over his shoulder, or at least let him know how bad he ****ed up and not to use his bonehead ideas on the playing field ever again! :mad:

Historian
01-06-2006, 06:14 AM
How do we know that Donahoe wasn't the problem all along, like a boa constrictor around his neck?

jmb1099
01-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Seeing as how we have little choice in the matter...
Was it all TD? Seems like too easy a scapegoat, but I do think MM first year was better in many regards than the second. Still if we had a suprise press conference talking about Mike Sherman being hired on so MM could pursue other interests I'd be a happy man indeed.

SquishDaFish
01-06-2006, 07:17 AM
If TD would of just gave him an OLINE and not more WRs then I bet MMs play calling would of been different. He had to do trick plays with this crap line we have. Give him one more year.

Turf
01-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Obviously Levy sees something in him, so I'm willing to go along with it one more time. What keeps resonating over and over in all of these choices and goes classfully unsaid is what an ass Donahoe must have been.

madness
01-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Now bring in Turner and tell MM "hands off the offense!"

TedMock
01-06-2006, 08:01 AM
How do we know that Donahoe wasn't the problem all along, like a boa constrictor around his neck?

Bingo! The guy doesn't just go from "genius" offensive coordinator to complete moron overnight. I think there was panic and desperation involved with a lot of this. Marv should be the anti-TD and let Mularkey do his thing without too much interference. Let's see if Marv and Modrak do their part, and bring in an o-line too. Mularkey should now be able to relax and use his creativity wisely. If the guy just flat out sucks under good circumstances, then he's out anyway.

ShadowHawk7
01-06-2006, 08:44 AM
You recall correct. We tried that in Seattle last year on 4th and 1, and it turned into a 30 yard TD run for McGahee. MM was thought of a genius for that. We tried again this year, it didn't work out, we got sacked, and MM was called a bumbling idiot.

ublinkwescore
01-06-2006, 10:27 AM

FIRE HIM NOW.

How much of that ineptitude was the result of him being TD's puppet though?

You can't deny that there is some writing on the wall pointing to that.

HAMMER
01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
You can only pound the ball into the line so many times for no gain before you HAVE to try something else. Villarial said it best, you are only a smashmouth team when the other team knows you are going to run the ball and you still get the yards. Our line could not get it done, Mularkey had to try something to move the ball. This all being said, I hated some of his calls. Perhaps the thing I understand the least is McGahee never being on the field on 3rd down.

Mr. Cynical
01-07-2006, 12:44 PM
How much of that ineptitude was the result of him being TD's puppet though?

You can't deny that there is some writing on the wall pointing to that.
I don't doubt that TD meddled....but still...MM took over the playcalling from TC and it went from bad to worse. In addition, everytime I saw MM on the sidelines he looked like he needed a beer and a dog in his hands. Have you ever seen him get even "mildly" pissed off at a player or ref? Given the type of season we had he should have been in many a face but wasn't. And for those who say there are the "quiet coaches" like BB, forget it. I think we all know he is not a silent giant with genius-like schemes.

No playcalling ability. No leadership. No fire. All signs point to another s**t season.

ParanoidAndroid
01-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I remember saying this while we were losing and many wanted MM's head on a platter. I took some crap for it, too.
In-game offensive adjustments fall most squarely on the OC. He is the one looking at snapshots and analyzing the opponents defense when not calling plays and while the HC is managing the action.
This offense was limited by a lack of execution by the O-line. The line had no punch, no push, and couldn't seal off from the outside. McGahee often had no chance and was hit at the LOS on pretty much every play.
On the other side of the ball, the ability of teams to get O-lineman on our linebackers wreaked havoc on our secondary. Milloy took a beating this year. If our CB's weren't such good tacklers, it could have been even worse.
MM has to take some responsibility for it, but he deserves another shot.