PDA

View Full Version : Coordinators

The Spaz
01-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Who is out there and available to be our defensive and offensive coordinators? Also who would you like to see here?

Marvelous
01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
IS our WR coach Tyke a option? I really don't know who we should get for offense but i liked Leubau on D.... Who else do we have that can be promoted from withing for offense>? because if the coord flops then MM can just resume playcalling........

Tatonka
01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
give me norv turner on offense.. he knows how to run a smash mouth offense with a vertical passing game, which we have the receivers to do (assuming we keep moulds). he is not a good head coach, but he has always been successful as a coordinator whereever he went.

give me dom capers on defense.. mainly because he is a good defensive coordinator that employs a 3-4, which is what i think we need to move too.. draft hawk with our first pick.. a 3-4 defense makes too much sense.. i actually think that with the 4 LBs we have now we could play it.. posey could go back to the role he was very successful in (under capers in houston).. spikes was in an inside lb role in cincy and did it well.. crowell stays on the outside.. london may be the only one that really doesnt fit the scheme.. but hawk would.. sam adams needs to stay and play NT, which he can do... our DEs may be smaller, but ron edwards could be used at DE on rushing downs.. possibly even anderson, bannan, draft picks.

i dont know.. just thinking.. those are my picks anyway.

Historian
01-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Norv...absolutely NOT!

Keep in mind, that any coordinator in place could be your next head coach if Mularkey falls on his face next season.

And you don't want Norv as your HC.

ryjam282
01-06-2006, 06:34 AM
I think our next head coach, if Mularkey falls on his face is the new VP of football operations. ;)

Forward_Lateral
01-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Norv Turner runs a smashmouth offense? :rofl: Best post ever.

Tatonka
01-06-2006, 06:54 AM
why dont you list the stats for the rbs that norv has had in his offenses...

lamont jordan
ricky williams
steven davis
emmitt smith

he knows how to use a rb.. which is something we failed to do.

TedMock
01-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Norv Turner and Dom Capers have to be every teams top choices. I'd love to get these two. Norv also understands the value of an o-line which is nice.

RedEyE
01-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Would love to have Norv Turner. I don't think he has what it takes to coach an entire team, but the fact that he can coach a championship offense should not be a question. He's proven that. Bring Turner in. His style offense would have McGahee on track for the HOF.

Defense, I'll take Capers lite. Another guy that knows the 3-4, with decent experience and has worked with Mularkey in the past - Mike Archer.

Bio:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=430 bgColor=#1e57a0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440 background=/graphics/kty-mtt-bg.gif border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=50>http://www.ukathletics.com/graphics/mtt/number_button-blank.gif </TD><TD vAlign=center>Mike Archer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1 width=430 bgColor=#1e57a0 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=105>http://www.ukathletics.com/photos/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/archer_mike.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top width=321><TABLE width=321 bgColor=#1e57a0 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>http://www.ukathletics.com/graphics/mtt/profile.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE width=320 align=top bgColor=#1e57a0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://www.ukathletics.com/graphics/mtt/arrow.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top>Position:
Assistant Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Outside Linebackers

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://www.ukathletics.com/graphics/mtt/arrow.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top>Experience:
3rd Year

</TD></TR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last season proved to be a struggle for consistency as the coaching staff dealt with what is believed to be the most-injured team in school history.

This past spring, Archer installed the 4-3 defensive scheme after having played the 3-4 system the previous two years. Archer will have to deal with significant inexperience in 2005 as only six returning starters are among the 18 defensive lettermen back from last season.

Archer returned to Kentucky after spending seven seasons as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ linebackers coach. He was instrumental in developing that group into one of the top units in the NFL. During Archer’s time with the Steelers, Jason Gildon and Levon Kirkland were two-time Pro Bowl selections; Chad Brown and Joey Porter were named to the Pro Bowl one year each; and Kendrell Bell was named National Football League Defensive Rookie of the Year. Pittsburgh led the NFL in rushing defense in 2002 and the Steelers won four divisional championships during Archer’s term with the team.

Archer is a 22-year veteran of collegiate coaching and helped guide his teams to bowl games at every place he coached. He got his start at Miami (Fla.), his alma mater, as a graduate assistant, administrative assistant, and defensive backs coach from 1976-83. During his five seasons as a full-time assistant, the Hurricanes went 41-16 and won the 1983 national championship.

Archer moved to Louisiana State in 1984, coaching defensive backs that season and serving as defensive coordinator the next two years. In his three seasons as an LSU assistant, the Tigers were 26-8-2 and played in three bowl games.

Archer became the youngest Division I-A head coach in the nation in 1987 when he was named the head man of the Tigers. In four seasons, he led LSU to a 27-18-1 mark, going to two bowl games and winning the 1988 Southeastern Conference championship.

After leaving LSU, Archer coached linebackers for two seasons at Virginia, going to one bowl game. He was defensive coordinator at Kentucky from 1993-95. His ’93 defense posted shutouts over Kent and Ole Miss and held two other opponents, Vanderbilt and East Carolina, without an offensive touchdown as the Wildcats advanced to the Peach Bowl.

Born in State College, Pa., Archer was a three-year letterman at Miami as a defensive back and punter. He started at safety for two seasons, and as a senior, was named the team’s scholar-athlete of the year. Archer and his wife, Barbara, have two children. A son, Jeff, is a senior special teams performer on the Kentucky football team. A daughter, Betsy, is a junior and a student equipment manager for the football team.

more: http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=10307

</PRE>

RedEyE
01-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Archer was interviewed by Saban for the Dolphins DC position last season, but I believe that his hesitations were that he had just returned to Kentucky in '03. Given that he's had another season under his belt to lament, he may not be able to pass up another opportunity in the NFL.

Spiderweb
01-06-2006, 08:31 AM
give me norv turner on offense.. he knows how to run a smash mouth offense with a vertical passing game, which we have the receivers to do (assuming we keep moulds). he is not a good head coach, but he has always been successful as a coordinator whereever he went.
give me dom capers on defense.. mainly because he is a good defensive coordinator that employs a 3-4, which is what i think we need to move too.. draft hawk with our first pick.. a 3-4 defense makes too much sense.. i actually think that with the 4 LBs we have now we could play it.. posey could go back to the role he was very successful in (under capers in houston).. spikes was in an inside lb role in cincy and did it well.. crowell stays on the outside.. london may be the only one that really doesnt fit the scheme.. but hawk would.. sam adams needs to stay and play NT, which he can do... our DEs may be smaller, but ron edwards could be used at DE on rushing downs.. possibly even anderson, bannan, draft picks.
i dont know.. just thinking.. those are my picks anyway.

The drawback to the 3-4 is that it begins with a hell of a nose tackle. Sam Adams has proven he has zero interest in being a two gap run stuffer. Now if a 27 year old Ted Washington type suddenly appears on our roster, then go for it. I surely don't want to see another 3-4 with a Jeff Wright type manning the nose tackle position.

Also, while Hansen and Smith were not huge DE's, they were very strong and quick. Schobel is getting better but he's still a tad light in run defense, and the otherside.....Kelsay flat out sucks. I'd take Denney over him in a heartbeat, yet he's no Phil Hansen either.

How I miss watching the line of Hansen, Washington, and Smith play....

Historian
01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
lamont jordan
ricky williams
steven davis
emmitt smith

I don't really care about RB stats. The only number I care about is W-L, and oh by the way, Oakland is hardly an offensive juggernaut.

Would he committ to the run? Yes. Does he have a potential 1800-2000 yard back here? Yes.

Would he be the next HC if Mularkey fails? Knowing Ralph...probably.

Do you really even want him considered for that position? Honestly?

madness
01-06-2006, 10:34 AM

lamont jordan
ricky williams
steven davis
emmitt smith

Don't forget LT's rookie season.

In 2001, Turner's lone season as offensive coordinator for the Chargers, running back LaDainian Tomlinson led all NFL rookies with 1,236 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns on 339 attempts, while also catching an NFL rookie-best 59 passes. His rushing total ranked fifth in the AFC and ninth in the NFL.

The guy knows how to run an offense, plain and simple... and you can't count his last two head coaching stints. He had OC's running the offense, it wasn't his job.

Kerr
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
My first choice for offensive coordinator would be Al Saunders if he's not hired as a head coach, and then Norv Turner.

KC qb's and rb's have always put up big numbers under Al Saunders.

HAMMER
01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
lamont jordan
ricky williams
steven davis
emmitt smith

Funny you say he knows how to use a RB. He was heavily criticized for 2/3 of this season for not using Lamont Jordan nearly enough, that makes me concerned.

ublinkwescore
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
You all know that there's this guy named Ted Cottrell who once built a pretty formiddable 34 defense here - and was even mentioned a few times as a coaching candidate for us when we canned Phillips.

Just thought I'd throw that out there (He built the greatest Bills D ever statistically in a lot of categories too).

Mudflap1
01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Big question that nobody has asked: Given all of the opportunties out there with all of the openings, potential to be a head coach again someday, and the overall prestige of some of the other teams, if you were Norv Turner/Dom Capers/Jim Haslett/Al Saunders, etc., would you go to Buffalo and want to work under Mike Mularkey as your fearless leader? It's almost embarrassing and laughable...

Yes, he may be in a "make or break" year, which could mean the opportunity to move up to head coach in a year, but still, would you want to work for Mike Mularkey?

Jon

Charlieguide
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
You all know that there's this guy named Ted Cottrell who once built a pretty formiddable 34 defense here . . .
Good point, blinky. With Tice out, Cottrell's likely up for grabs, and you have to think both he and Marv would be willing to talk. Maybe he'd even find a way to get Big Ted or Big Pat back.

Michael82
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
You all know that there's this guy named Ted Cottrell who once built a pretty formiddable 34 defense here - and was even mentioned a few times as a coaching candidate for us when we canned Phillips.

Just thought I'd throw that out there (He built the greatest Bills D ever statistically in a lot of categories too).
I would LOVE Ted Cottrell back. :up:

HAMMER
01-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Who cares about Cotrell, give me Phat Pat back.

Tatonka
01-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Funny you say he knows how to use a RB. He was heavily criticized for 2/3 of this season for not using Lamont Jordan nearly enough, that makes me concerned.

their whole season in oakland was a failure obviously.. he also was the head coach not the OC, so maybe i should not have listed that.. but still, jordan was CLEARLY the centerpoint of that offense and i know from fantasy football that he was an excellent point producer w/ rushing yards, receiving yards (more than i anticipated) and tds.. lamont jordan had a much better season than mcgahee did.

Tatonka
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't really care about RB stats. The only number I care about is W-L, and oh by the way, Oakland is hardly an offensive juggernaut.
Would he committ to the run? Yes. Does he have a potential 1800-2000 yard back here? Yes.
Would he be the next HC if Mularkey fails? Knowing Ralph...probably.
Do you really even want him considered for that position? Honestly?

i care about rb stats in the context of team success.. in norvs history of being an OC, his running backs put up good numbers, and it normally translated to a solid run first offense.. that was my only point..

but i dont follow you on the whole "would he be the next headcoach if MM got fired.." part.. i dont see it.. if mularky would have been fired here this year, does that mean that Tom Clements would have been the next head coach?

if norv came in and the team was still a failure, and MM lost his job, we would go after a new head coach.. and that head coach would decide if he wanted to keep Norv as a OC or bring in his own staff.. maybe Norv would get an interview, but i definately dont think it would mean he woudl get the job at all. especially judging from his record as a head coach.

RedEyE
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Big question that nobody has asked: Given all of the opportunties out there with all of the openings, potential to be a head coach again someday, and the overall prestige of some of the other teams, if you were Norv Turner/Dom Capers/Jim Haslett/Al Saunders, etc., would you go to Buffalo and want to work under Mike Mularkey as your fearless leader? It's almost embarrassing and laughable...

Yes, he may be in a "make or break" year, which could mean the opportunity to move up to head coach in a year, but still, would you want to work for Mike Mularkey?

Jon

Haslett would in a heart beat. He knows, just like the rest of us, that Mularkey has about a 60% chance of falling flat on his face again next year, opening the door for the next HC. Can't get much closer to that door than being a DC. Haslett would snatch up an opportunity to coach the Bills defense if not other serious offers are presented for an HC position within the NFL.

Bmax
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Others to consider are Dave Mcginnis former cardinals head coach.. He was a very good def coord. ....Currently with the titans as their lb coach.. also ray sherman a former steeler and vikings off coord is the wr coach for the titans and maybe a good choice for an experienced off coord. John Marshall is also an exp guy for def coord. He was def coord for san fran during sb win and also atlanta and carolina.. He is currently the lb coach for seattle.....

bernielivsey_1
01-08-2006, 12:01 AM
:millhouse OC - Mike Martz or Steve Mariucci and DC - Dom Capers or Ted Cottrell. I know I know.....not gonna happen. :redguns: