• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Vic Carruci comments on Marv Levy

Good article.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Re: Vic Carruci comments on Marv Levy

Great article...

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Consider this passage from his book about when, during a visit to his office shortly after his retirement, he began looking at the photos on the hallway walls: "Those faces that stared back at me ... were a testament to the commitment that (former Bills GMs) Bill Polian, John (Butler), and I had made when we resolved to bring only men with solid character onto our team. There wasn't a 'look-at-me' showboat among them. There were no choreographed end-zone dancers who thought they were cute but really weren't. In fact, I don't recall seeing even one backward-baseball-cap-wearer up there. I never saw or heard any of our players indulge in degrading displays of blatant self-aggrandizement. All I saw were men who, if they wanted to brag, would have been justified in boasting, 'I came to play.' "

Nuff said.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

Love it

The serious answer he gave is hard to dispute: "Chronological age is only an approximate indication of functional age." That's the way someone with a master's degree from Harvard says, "You're only as old as you feel."

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

Does anybody know who Marv was referring to when he said he and Polian differed on the first 1st round pick as Marv Levy as head coach when they selected Shane Conlan. He said Marv wanted Conlan because he was a character guy but Polian wanted the highest talent left on the board. That person ended up in jail according to Levy. Who was that guy? I looked back at the 87 draft and wasn't sure who it was. I know Jerome Brown died in an auto accident and I wonder if it was him but here are some picks after Conlan.
          8 Bills Shane Conlan MLB Penn State
          9 Philadelphia Jerome Brown DT Miami
          10 Pittsburgh Rod Woodson FS Purdue
          11 New Orleans Shawn Knight NT Brigham Young
          12 Dallas Danny Noonan DT Nebraska
          13 Atlanta Chris Miller QB Oregon
          14 Minnesota D. J. Dozier RB Penn State
          15 L.A. Raiders John Clay T Missouri
          16 Miami John Bosa DE Boston College
          17 Cincinnati Jason Buck DE Brigham Young

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
            Consider this passage from his book about when, during a visit to his office shortly after his retirement, he began looking at the photos on the hallway walls: "Those faces that stared back at me ... were a testament to the commitment that (former Bills GMs) Bill Polian, John (Butler), and I had made when we resolved to bring only men with solid character onto our team. There wasn't a 'look-at-me' showboat among them. There were no choreographed end-zone dancers who thought they were cute but really weren't. In fact, I don't recall seeing even one backward-baseball-cap-wearer up there. I never saw or heard any of our players indulge in degrading displays of blatant self-aggrandizement. All I saw were men who, if they wanted to brag, would have been justified in boasting, 'I came to play.' "

Nuff said.

Love that quote. That's the way it should be.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

I believe he was referring to Brown.

That is an excellent article by someone who knows Marv very well.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                I believe he was referring to Brown.
                That is an excellent article by someone who knows Marv very well.
                Thanks EE...that's who I thought who he was referring to also but did not know he went to jail...I guess it's better saying that then saying the guy ended up dead in his prime...

Comment

• helmetguy
                  Touch the helmet for luck
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129

Nuff said.
                  Reminds me of Moulds's rookie season, when he scored his first TD. After he caught the pass, he began an arm flailing celebration through the back of the ednzone, which came to an abrupt end when two O-linemen tackled him; basically telling him, "We don't do that **** here!"
                  Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                  And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                    • Jul 2002

That is a great article, and actually makes me feel a little more confident in his hiring.
                    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

nice read
                      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                        • Oct 2005

Vic Carruci was the last intellegent writer in Buffalo-Rochester sports market. The rest are bafoons!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dont drink the water
                          Vic Carruci was the last intellegent writer in Buffalo-Rochester sports market. The rest are bafoons!
                          amazing how we lost Carucci, Felser and Kelly (all extremely respected writers) and got the likes of Sullivan. Kevin Gaughan and Allen Wilson are good but they appear to be beat reporters not the journalists that the former three were/are.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                            amazing how we lost Carucci, Felser and Kelly (all extremely respected writers) and got the likes of Sullivan. Kevin Gaughan and Allen Wilson are good but they appear to be beat reporters not the journalists that the former three were/are.
                            All but Felser (whose skills have declined) were promoted out of Buffalo.

Comment

• FirstDownBills
                              Your rebirth can't hurt
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kerr

Awesome column! I could not have said it any better myself. Marv is here to put Buffalo back on the summit of the NFL Mountain.

Marv Levy Era

Regular Season Record: 0-0-0
                              Playoff Record: 0-0
                              Super Bowl Appearances: 0
                              Super Bowl Wins: 0

Comment

Working...
                              X