• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicmantak
    • Jun 2005

Competition for Bills' QB should be open

By BOB DICESARE

Kelly Holcomb versus J.P. Losman doesn't make for a quarterback competition. Holcomb against Losman is Holcomb in a landslide since veteran savvy trumps youthful exuberance anywhere on the field.

If the Buffalo Bills are serious about identifying their quarterback of the future, which at this sad stage means nothing more than next season, they'd be wise to throw open the position to any and all comers. If Aaron Brooks is out in New Orleans, bring him in. If Joey Harrington's out in Detroit, offer him an invitation. Doug Flutie surely would jump at the opportunity to prove he still owns a little ageless magic. At worst he'll elevate the intensity at training c amp before he goes down swinging.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
    - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Competition for Bills' QB should be open

I agree with an open competition for QB, as long as the formula does not include Holcomb. I enjoy having KH on the team as a backup, but I don't believe he deserves to be the starter on this team, and JP needs the experience.

Holcomb is just like Doug Flutie. Good enough to mask other problems on the team, but no where's good enough to lead a team to a championship. JP is young has the ability to become great, and again he needs the time behind center.

unless the Bills are going to bring in a better QB option then KH then just give JP the ball and stop playing this foolish game.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
      unless the Bills are going to bring in a better QB option then KH then just give JP the ball and stop playing this foolish game.
      Amen!

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

As a QB coach let me say this again....there is NO SUCH THING AS QB COMPETITION! If you have that on your team, you have NO Starter.

MARV LEVY Said 'If you are trying to decide between two QB's then you really don't have ONE' That is paraphrazing.

If you think there is going to be QB competition in camp and marv have anything to say about it....NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Wanna know why? Because marv knows IT DOESNT WORK!

When you have a QB competition you hurt BOTH QB's. NEITHER Get ready for the season and BOTH look over thier shoulders. Marv understands this. You pick a guy and you go with him and that is it. Marv did it, marv understands this.

Honestly I think MM does too, but had his job on the line if he didn't comply with Der Fuhr Donahoe. Now that he is off of MM's back, this is JP's team. Ralph wilson said he is all for JP, Marv has defended him greatly etc. This will be JP's team, No BS competition, just his team.

BTW....Good to great QB's don't need competition, they push themselfs. Motivation to do well and hard work were never JP's problems. Being a first year guy and essentially a rookie thanks to a late hit by one of our 'Veterans'. The only thing wrong with losman is fixed with Experience. name an issue for him and I can sum up the resolution with 'He just needs more experience' And the best part is...Ralph, Marv and MM can and WILL do the same.

Comment

• Kerr
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Feb 2005

This will sound crazy, but I wouldn't mind Harrington being brought in camp. The irony is that a lot of fans wanted him. He could have had a lot more success here than detroit had he been drafted. Who knows, but he's still young and has some talent.

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

If JP can't beat out Holcomb in his 3rd year, then he doesn't deserve the job.
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kerr
              He could have had a lot more success here than detroit had he been drafted.
              I seriously doubt that. Can you imagine Joey trying to run a Gilbride offense??

If even the great Drew Bledsoe, god among men, struggled here, how could Joey have done better???
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Kerr
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                I seriously doubt that. Can you imagine Joey trying to run a Gilbride offense??

If even the great Drew Bledsoe, god among men, struggled here, how could Joey have done better???

To a certain degree you're right. Gilbride's offense was complicated, but if i'm not mistaken, harrington ran a vertical offensive attack when he with oregon similar to gilbride's. Mark Brunell and Warren Moon didn't struggle much in a Gilbride offense. Bledsoe has only really stuck out when he's been under Bill Parcells and his offense. I think Harrington got stuck in a bad situation with the lions. He's never really had consistent O-line play. He's certainly shown glimpses of being a solid qb when he is getting good O-line play. He put up 3tds and 0 ints against a tough steelers D. They lost the game because their D couldn't stop the steelers offense.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                  If JP can't beat out Holcomb in his 3rd year, then he doesn't deserve the job.

There it is. Right there. If Losman cannot beat out lame ass career backup Kelly Holcomb, he doesn't deserve to start in this league. Anywhere.

Comment

• DaBills
                    • Sep 2004

"Competition for Bills' QB should be open"
                    Yes. I agree. The public should witness that KH is not QB starter material.
                    “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

I don't mind competition but only if it is JP versus a legitimate NFL starter. Holcomb is a backup.... Enough already.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                        Next Question!
                        • Nov 2004

Seriously! if J.P. is so talented, then he should be able to beat out KH in his third training camp.

However, there is a problem here that NO ONE that is a J.P. advocate seems to bring up. There is a very good chance that the kid has a bad personality. Yeah, yeah, I know, y'all say that he's the next Kelly, he's brash, he's confident. There are also a lot of reports that he is despised in the locker room. Despised. That's not a good thing. No, Eric Moulds isn't right all the time, and he shouldn't bad-mouth or second-guess a coach publically, no matter how correct he may be in his assessment. This can't be limited to Eric Moulds versus J.P. Losman though. It appears there is a strong likelihood that this guy (Losman) is not well-liked or well-respected by his teammates. If it was just Moulds thinking that, then Moulds would be isoloated as the bad egg that was picking on the wildly talented future of the franchise. There's a reason Holcomb has gotten so much press and support from his teammates and (as it appears) the organization. It's not because he's that good. He's not, he's adequate. He has average skills, but doesn't make a lot of mistakes (doesn't make a lot of big plays either). Again, I know, y'all question Mularkey and say he's a chump for playing Holcomb because he wanted to save his job. Maybe Losman is so resented right now by his teammates that in order to keep anything short of a riot happening in the locker room, they had to play Holcomb?

It's not as simple always as "he's got more potential, he should play unconditionally." It always helps to earn the respect of your teammates by winning the job in competition instead of just getting something handed to you. However, you also have to have chemistry with your teammates. If he has all the talent in the world but is a cocky, arrogant, aloof brat in the locker room that is not respected, he's not going anywhere.

This is speculation, but there are some leaks suggesting this is true. If so, this is the opposite effect of a guy like Jim Kelly. Kelly had everyone rally around him because of his brashness and leadership. This guy may be alienating everybody. If this is the case, it adds a whole new spin and explanation to this whole situation.

Jon

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                          Seriously! if J.P. is so talented, then he should be able to beat out KH in his third training camp.

However, there is a problem here that NO ONE that is a J.P. advocate seems to bring up. There is a very good chance that the kid has a bad personality. Yeah, yeah, I know, y'all say that he's the next Kelly, he's brash, he's confident. There are also a lot of reports that he is despised in the locker room. Despised. That's not a good thing. No, Eric Moulds isn't right all the time, and he shouldn't bad-mouth or second-guess a coach publically, no matter how correct he may be in his assessment. This can't be limited to Eric Moulds versus J.P. Losman though. It appears there is a strong likelihood that this guy (Losman) is not well-liked or well-respected by his teammates. If it was just Moulds thinking that, then Moulds would be isoloated as the bad egg that was picking on the wildly talented future of the franchise. There's a reason Holcomb has gotten so much press and support from his teammates and (as it appears) the organization. It's not because he's that good. He's not, he's adequate. He has average skills, but doesn't make a lot of mistakes (doesn't make a lot of big plays either). Again, I know, y'all question Mularkey and say he's a chump for playing Holcomb because he wanted to save his job. Maybe Losman is so resented right now by his teammates that in order to keep anything short of a riot happening in the locker room, they had to play Holcomb?

It's not as simple always as "he's got more potential, he should play unconditionally." It always helps to earn the respect of your teammates by winning the job in competition instead of just getting something handed to you. However, you also have to have chemistry with your teammates. If he has all the talent in the world but is a cocky, arrogant, aloof brat in the locker room that is not respected, he's not going anywhere.

This is speculation, but there are some leaks suggesting this is true. If so, this is the opposite effect of a guy like Jim Kelly. Kelly had everyone rally around him because of his brashness and leadership. This guy may be alienating everybody. If this is the case, it adds a whole new spin and explanation to this whole situation.

Jon
                          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• DaBills
                            • Sep 2004

"He's not, he's adequate. He has average skills, but doesn't make a lot of mistakes (doesn't make a lot of big plays either)."

Sorry, but I don't think KH is even good enough to be Dilfer-good. I think he makes enough game-changing mistakes that he can't overcome. For argument's sake, I'll go along with premise that no one likes JP. But is that a reason to say KH is the then your guy? That's not picking a QB, at best, that's mediocrity by default.
                            “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• Mudflap1
                              Next Question!
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DaBills
                              "He's not, he's adequate. He has average skills, but doesn't make a lot of mistakes (doesn't make a lot of big plays either)."

Sorry, but I don't think KH is even good enough to be Dilfer-good. I think he makes enough game-changing mistakes that he can't overcome. For argument's sake, I'll go along with premise that no one likes JP. But is that a reason to say KH is the then your guy? That's not picking a QB, at best, that's mediocrity by default.
                              I agree. If the answer is that J.P. is not the guy because of attitude problems and inability to learn the offense, then you have to go out and find someone else. Holcomb is not the ultimate answer. Scary thought I know.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X