PDA

View Full Version : Another Intriguing free agent DT

Kerr
01-06-2006, 10:50 AM
I haven't seen him play, but from it says here, here's worth taking a shot at considering our weakness at the tackle position. Besides Kemoutou from Baltimore, I would like to see the club look into this guy.

If a team is looking for a good defensive lineman who won't break the bank, they should look at backup Jaguars tackle Rob Meier. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent. With Marcus Stroud and John Henderson in front of him, Meier will never be more than a backup and fill-in starter. Stroud signed a big-money deal last year, and Henderson has one year left on his deal, so his is coming. A smart team would target Meier for a five-year deal for a decent salary and signing bonus and make him a starter inside. Meier has six sacks this year, the most of any interior lineman in the AFC and three more than Henderson and Stroud combined. Meier also plays with a relentless style, which will endear him to his coaching staff.

BuffaloBillsStampede
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Very nice find that's not a bad idea at all.

Mudflap1
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Nice find, but I'm kind of sick of being the junior varsity of the NFL and continuing to take backups from other teams and trying to make them starters here. I want a proven beefeater that eats centers and guards for breakfast.

Jon

EDS
01-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Nice find, but I'm kind of sick of being the junior varsity of the NFL and continuing to take backups from other teams and trying to make them starters here. I want a proven beefeater that eats centers and guards for breakfast.

Jon

You and Daniel Snyder, but as we all know, that does not necessarily translate into success.

I think it is smart to pick up an up and coming player at a decent salary before he fully reaches his potential. But thats me . . . and most NFL personnel folks.

HAMMER
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Jon

If he is stuck behind two fantastic starters he hasn't had that opportunity yet. Pat Williams was in the same position in Buffalo for a couple years, when he got his shot he became the league's best DT. Personally I would much rather take someone like this that has gotten his feet wet than a green rookie that will take at least one year to make an impact. Six sacks from the DT position as a backup is a phenomenal stat.

Mudflap1
01-06-2006, 03:51 PM
You and Daniel Snyder, but as we all know, that does not necessarily translate into success.

I think it is smart to pick up an up and coming player at a decent salary before he fully reaches his potential. But thats me . . . and most NFL personnel folks.

Sorry buddy, but this approach hasn't worked for us. We've sucked for years. I'm okay with getting up and comers at other positions, but I think this team needs to basically draw the line in the sand now and not go cheap along the offensive and defensive lines. We've been mired in mediocrity long enough.

I like paying an up and comer like Crowell, maybe having him start and letting Posey go. I like maybe franchising and trading Clements for a number 1 pick or another good player and giving some of the DB's a chance to be up and comers. I think Rashad Baker should be given some consideration at safety, maybe move Vincent back to CB. Not on the offensive and defensive lines though. We've underachieved for years, and bad OL play has always been a common theme. We were good on defense the last few years, but we left Pat Williams go and give up and comers like Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson a chance. Didn't work.

You can draft and sign smart buys at other positions, time to spend a couple of bucks on the O and D lines though.

That's not Daniel Snyder, that's smart football. Daniel Snyder overpaid for skill position players. Now that Joe Gibbs is in there with Joe Bugel, they are stout up front and winning games. Pretty simple. Get your facts straight.

Jon

tat2dmike77
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't mind to see the kid come to buffalo. But we need some o-linemen in a big way. Bennie "the penalty" anderson just doesn't cut it. I honestly think williams will be a salary cap victim. Then what trey he might be here and if not we have a 2nd year guy at center. Then take your pick about who is going down hill from there.

Point is we need to fix the o-line big time. In order to score points you need have a line that can well do his job. Like block someone every play, open holes for the RB to run through. It's gonna be a crazy off season but i have faith in our new savior MARV!