PDA

View Full Version : Does this move make any sense?

ScottLawrence
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Too sell tickets, it makes perfect sense.

Outside of that, how does this move get us going in the right direction?

We finally get rid of TD only to bring in a 80 year old guy, whos been out of football for 8 years, and has no experience at the position.

Im not buying this move.

IMO, its just Ralph trying to win back the fans again.

Charlieguide
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Have you read his book? The guy knows football, knows how to build a team, and how to keep a team together. He worked with the best GM in football (possibly in football history) in Bill Polian, and has Tom Modrak and staff to provide good scouting and cap management.

helmetguy
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM

We finally get rid of TD only to bring in a 80 year old guy, whos been out of football for 8 years, and has no experience at the position.

Im not buying this move.

It makes a lot more sense than the first post in this thread. That's a start.

Dont drink the water
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Im not buying this move.
Are you the same poster who does the Cluck Dickerson immitation on TBD?
How many head coaches have became Head Coach/GM? A lot. Did they all have any experience? No. Football is football on both sides of business.

RedEyE
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Scott Lawerence is the uneducated, angry version of Opiv.

Devin
01-06-2006, 07:26 PM
:rofl:

bernielivsey_1
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
How many head coaches have became Head Coach/GM? A lot. Did they all have any experience? No. Football is football on both sides of business.
:goodpost: I agree and have felt this way since the hiring. Its is as simple as this.........MARV knows football. Deal with it non believers. :yucky:

DaBills
01-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Maybe, maybe if Marv went and lived on an island since leaving the Bills, I MIGHT believe he is out of touch. But he's been covering games, writing columns for the NFL since, etc. Forget losing, try GETTING to four Super Bowls – in a row. He's widely respected by COACHES in the league like Parcells, Ditka, etc. That's good enough for me.

I just about walk three miles a month, let alone RUN 3 a day. Even if he has old-timerz, he's forgotten more about football than EVERY poster on this board knows.

Hey, the Marv-aid is pretty good!

:afro:

Word.

kgun12
01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
I think he is missing one important fact, and that is Tom Modrak! He is the guy who put the Eagles NFC championship teams together.

Drive 4 Five
01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Im not buying this move.

What the **** do you care? You don't even qualify as a Bill's fan.

tonyc37
01-07-2006, 01:10 AM
No Gm with any experience would have taken the job with Mularkey in place and Ralph knew it.Thats why the safe choice was Marv.This move doesn't do it .We are no further ahead.I'm not renewing my season tickets and I have six of them.

X-Era
01-07-2006, 07:38 AM

Im not buying this move.

Dude, are you actually a FAN of this team?

Nothing makes you happy.

ICE74129
01-07-2006, 08:32 AM

Im not buying this move.

You have proved long ago that you know nothing about football. Please STFU and stay on TBD or BB.com and quit flooding this good board with your crap.

ScottLawrence
01-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Am I even a Fan?

Of coruse I am.

I just don't buy into all the **** Ralph trys to pull at OBD.

A lot of you said it yourself a couple weeks ago, no more drinking the kool aide that OBD was putting out.

Well, I think a lot of you just got fooled again.

Marv could be a very good GM, but he could also be a very bad one.

Do you really believe Marv was the best choice? And is the answer to what ails this franchise?

kgun12
01-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Refer to post #9

kgun12
01-07-2006, 12:01 PM
No Gm with any experience would have taken the job with Mularkey in place and Ralph knew it.Thats why the safe choice was Marv.This move doesn't do it .We are no further ahead.I'm not renewing my season tickets and I have six of them.

I agree that no GM wants the other guys coach. Marv was the one who talked Ralph into keeping MM.

As for not renewing your season tickets, GOOD! someone else can buy them. I just want to know how that is going to help the team? I don't know how a TRUE fan thinks that is a smart thing. I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Considering that I've seen more than a few people in the media questioning this move with Marv, I'm not going to jump down any fan's throat for raising the question either. After what Bills fans have been through the last decade, it's a fair question.....

To a certain extent you are right, Scott, in seeing this as being a PR move by RW: I think the man saw how ticked off Bills fans were at TD and realized that, from a business standpoint, he had to do something that would restore the fan's confidence and give them some hope that the team could right itself and become a winner again in RW's lifetime. And, yes, hiring Marv Levy could accomplish that because of his past track record as a coach and in dealing with the team's fans.

But, I also think that it does go beyond that and that hiring Levy is not the completely cynical move that you are seeing it as. The reason I say that is that, while Marv Levy has never been a GM before, he really does know the game of football a lot better than most GM candidates out there. While your questions about Levy's lack of experience as a GM would be pertinent if Marv was going to be handling the business and non-football aspects of running the team, the fact is that Marv made it quite clear that he will not be getting involved in those kinds of things and that his involvement would be limited to strictly the football related matters. And, when it comes to football related matters, we are talking about a man whose experience in building a football team goes back to the George Allen era.

If you read Marv's book, you would realize that this is a man who has worked closely with the architects of some great football teams--including Bill Polian and George Allen, who was both coach and made the personnel decisions for the Redskins--and has seen how successful football teams are put together from different sources, etc. He knows what it takes to make a team a winner and, while he has not created a winning football team as a GM, he is intelligent and personable enough to understand what he needs to do, on the football side, as a GM to be able build a winning football team. The only question is whether he will be healthy enough long enough to complete the task: if Marv were 50 there would be no question about whether, on the football side, he has enough knowledge to do the job. And, since he is not going to be involved in the business side of running the club, there's no need to be concerned about whether he can run that side of the business.

As for whether there are other, perhaps younger, candidates out there who might be better qualified to do be the Bills' GM, look around and ask yourself if there is anyone who is available (Ron Wolff and Phil Savage are not) who stands out as a potential candidate that you would not raise similar questions about. Forget about hiring Scott Pioli away from New England or any other GM whose team is successful--that isn't going to happen because those guys aren't going to leave the teams that they are with. Do you think that Charley Casserly, Matt Millen and Dennis Green would still have their GM duties with the messes that they have created (I could name the GMs of at least 3-4 other teams as well) if there was even one truly outstanding GM candidate out there who was available? The Houston owner offered a king's ransom to Jimmy Johnson and had to bring in Dan Reeves to advise him before he decided to retain Casserly--now why do you think he did that!

The fact is that, just as there are more HC openings in the NFL this off-season than there are truly outstanding HC candidates out there (which is really why MM was able to keep his job), there are a lot more NFL teams looking for a good GM than there are good GM candidates available. Taking a chance on a young assistant GM with no experience as a GM is a crap-shoot regardless of what team he comes from--and there is no guarantee that he would be successful or any more successful than Marv Levy. At least with Marv, you know you will be getting someone who truly knows football and can teach your young HC a thing or two about how to coach a winning football team.

No, Marv isn't the answer for the long haul. And he wouldn't be the guy you would want to hire to handle the business side of running a football team. But, if you have someone who can handle the business side (and apparently the Bills do have a young guy who can), you would be hard pressed to find someone who would be able to bring more to the table on the strictly football side than Marv Levy.

Now, Marv is not a miracle worker and he's not going to fix everything that is wrong with the Bills overnight. Anyone who thinks he will is dreaming. And, at 80, Marv may or may not have the time to complete the task of transforming this Bills team into a championship squad. But, with his knowledge of the game and his willingness to involve others in the decision-making process, he is probably better equipped than anyone who is or might be available to get this organization back on the right track and perhaps develop some people who can achieve that goal over the long haul.

If you still doubt that, read Marv's book--especially the parts about a certain advertising salesman and part-time scout that Marv recognized early on for having an unique eye for spotting talent and later brought down from Canada to the Chicago Blitz of the USFL, a guy named Bill Polian.... If that doesn't convince you that Marv might be more than just PR window-dressing, nothing will.

Jan Reimers
01-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Have you read his book? The guy knows football, knows how to build a team, and how to keep a team together. He worked with the best GM in football (possibly in football history) in Bill Polian, and has Tom Modrak and staff to provide good scouting and cap management.
I agree. Marv has been around football forever, and has more knowledge, wisdom and integrity than anyone I can think of for this job. Honesty, sincerity and class never go out of style, and Marv has an abundance of each.

Football today is not markedly different than it was 8 years ago, and with Marv's drive, intelligence, enthusiasm and vast experience, he will have no problem with the little catching up he has to do.

I think he is uniquely qualified to get this organization back on track.

I very well may renew my 4 season tickets when my contractual obligation is up, because this franchise for once has done the very best thing it could possibly do.

Typ0
01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
did anyone stop to consider the older you get the more experience you have?

LifetimeBillsFan
01-07-2006, 03:36 PM
did anyone stop to consider the older you get the more experience you have?

Only some of us older guys :lmao:

Typ0
01-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Levy was a perfect choice for many reasons. I'm convinced a lot of the nay sayers don't really understand what his philosophy is all about. If anyone can restore a team atmosphere and high accomplishment it's ML and he did not come here to tell MM what to do. Also, his age is irrelevant. The guy wants to do the job, feels he's up to it, and is an excellent fit.

dolphinssuck
01-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Levy is perfect for the job he already has plenty of time in at Buffalo and knows the orginazation very well. IMO we'll see alot of postives next season because Levy loves the Bills and cares for the fans.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Marv is only the GM of the football operations his job is to watch and see if everything is going smoothly on and off the field and keeping his eye on Mike Mularkey :funny: he's not going to be doing the big stuff like signing the players etc. Modrak will be doing the drafting, signing FA players, FA who stays and who goes etc. I think I described the situation the best way that I could.