Tip Sheet - Bobby April - Asst. Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicknoze69
    Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
    • Jul 2002

Tip Sheet - Bobby April - Asst. Head Coach?

It's a long shot but you can't fault a guy for trying. Agent Frank Murtha is phoning teams with head coach vacancies on behalf of client Bobby April, the Buffalo Bills' special teams coach and one of the best in the NFL at his craft. Typically, not a single special teams coach has been interviewed yet for any of the existing openings, nor have the names of any special teams coaches been connected to any of the jobs. But April has long felt special teams coaches merit consideration, in part because they are the only assistants on any franchise's staff who deal with virtually every player on the roster. April was chosen by his peers as the top special teams aide in the league in 2004 and his kicking units were exemplary again this season. April, 52, is a terrific communicator, a fiery guy and detail-oriented. But the truth of the matter is while owners and general managers spend a lot of time pontificating about the importance of special teams, they spend zero time considering the guys who run those units when head coach vacancies come up. April isn't the only special teams coach who merits a look but, the odds are, he'll be one of the legion who don't get one. There is, though, one bit of good news for April this week: In the staff shakeup that Bills coach Mike Mularkey has already begun, it appears there is a good chance April will add the title of assistant head coach to his business card.

The under-reported assertion by Steve McNair on his desire to play in '06 is good news for the Titans and the NFL.

God give me style and give me grace
    God put a smile upon my face
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Tip Sheet - Bobby April - Asst. Head Coach?

I hope so. We can't let him take off. Our special teams will suffer for sure.

Comment

• FirstDownBills
      Your rebirth can't hurt
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
      It's a long shot but you can't fault a guy for trying. Agent Frank Murtha is phoning teams with head coach vacancies on behalf of client Bobby April, the Buffalo Bills' special teams coach and one of the best in the NFL at his craft. Typically, not a single special teams coach has been interviewed yet for any of the existing openings, nor have the names of any special teams coaches been connected to any of the jobs. But April has long felt special teams coaches merit consideration, in part because they are the only assistants on any franchise's staff who deal with virtually every player on the roster. April was chosen by his peers as the top special teams aide in the league in 2004 and his kicking units were exemplary again this season. April, 52, is a terrific communicator, a fiery guy and detail-oriented. But the truth of the matter is while owners and general managers spend a lot of time pontificating about the importance of special teams, they spend zero time considering the guys who run those units when head coach vacancies come up. April isn't the only special teams coach who merits a look but, the odds are, he'll be one of the legion who don't get one. There is, though, one bit of good news for April this week: In the staff shakeup that Bills coach Mike Mularkey has already begun, it appears there is a good chance April will add the title of assistant head coach to his business card.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...len&id=2282516

I'm all for it. By the way, I'm not fond of that Troy Vincent idea either.

Marv Levy Era

Regular Season Record: 0-0-0
      Playoff Record: 0-0
      Super Bowl Appearances: 0
      Super Bowl Wins: 0

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Not a bad idea. Marv Levy broke into the NFL coaching ranks as a special teams coach. If Mularkey is unable to right the ship this comeing season, there's probably no GM in the league who'd be more inclined to give April a fair shot at the head coaching job.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
          Not a bad idea. Marv Levy broke into the NFL coaching ranks as a special teams coach. If Mularkey is unable to right the ship this comeing season, there's probably no GM in the league who'd be more inclined to give April a fair shot at the head coaching job.
          That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Is that the article in its entirity? The link sends me to something completely different.

Love the notion though.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
              Sab and TD are insignificant
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FirstDownBills
              I'm all for it. By the way, I'm not fond of that Troy Vincent idea either.
              What Troy Vincent Idea is this?
              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                • Jul 2002

Click on the link, and after the McNair story, there's a story on Vincent.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

I don't see it (I'm not an insider subscriber).
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                    I don't see it (I'm not an insider subscriber).
                    Ah, I didn't even think of that. Here's the story on Vincent:

One of the suggestions floated by Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson in his makeover of the Bills' management model this week was that veteran defensive back Troy Vincent perhaps have some role in the front office. Vincent is widely respected around the league as a voice of reason and, as president of the NFL Players Association, certainly has some administrative skills. But the idea, it seems, was shot down by several people, including coach Mike Mularkey. For openers, there is no sign that Vincent, still a productive player at age 34, plans to retire. More importantly, though, was the sense Vincent might not make the smoothest transition from rank-and-file to management. In his role as NFLPA president, Vincent understandably has a pro-player mind-set. There is some thought that in a few areas, like counseling teammates on contract negotiations and playing hurt, that stance had some effect on the Bills' locker room in 2005.

The under-reported assertion by Steve McNair on his desire to play in '06 is good news for the Titans and the NFL.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Very cool idea. All i know is that he needs to be locked up forever.

Comment

Working...
                      X