PDA

View Full Version : Saw Donahoe today

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I finally cave to my brazilian friend Pedro's bugging and went with the gang to the Green Forest BrazilianRestaurant in Pen Hills. It's an all meat restaurant. Guess who I saw there? Tom Donahoe with two other guys that I don't recognize. Must be the new year things: I ran into David Littlefield (the Pirate's GM) on new year's eve in Neville Island Sports complex - he played some indoor golf and then lay on the ground watching his kids playing football.

I'm no fan of TD. In fact I protested the hiring of TD back in 2000 in the twobillsdrive board and ran into big argument, on and off the message board, with a mod named Simon there, resulting me deciding never go to that board again. But at least I'm not an extreme fan to the degree of hating Donahoe. Actually I came to appreciate his handling of FAs during thelast 5 years.

He certainly looked a bit pale. But my friends, knowing me being a big Bills fan pushed me in front of the 'ol whitey and introduced me as a die-hard Bills fan. To my surprise, he shook my hands and apologized for "not delivering for your team." Anyhow, we had a little chat and he emphysized that the Bills have a good foundation and should soon return to playoffs. Being a nice guy I am, I did not argue with him. I could tell he and his friends had a few judging from the wine bottles on the table. In all we talked for around 7-8 minutes ranging from where I live, how I follow the Bills to the Bills itself.

My buddies are now calling me chicken, bashing the dude behind his back relentlessly but failed to say anything bad face to face. I don't know. ralph has already canned his ass, would more do I want? After all this is his private life moments, I do't find the urge to add anything to the injury.

RedEyE
01-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Cool story. :up:

LtBillsFan66
01-06-2006, 11:15 PM
I would have done the same thing.

I saw a post on TBD calling TD's tenure a "hostile regime" towards fans.

I didn't like all him moves and feel we needed a change. What I don't get it the venomous hatred. I though he did a lot of good for fans. Especially being involved running a Backers group. I still don't believe how much access we have to the organization. I hope that doesn't change.

Dozerdog
01-06-2006, 11:24 PM
some People fill in the blanks of what they don't know with crazy stuff-

While they never met the guy (or any coach or front office guy for that matter) they somehow formulate in their heads that roster moves or team hiring decisions are based on some unfounded emotional reasons.

- He didn't fix the (fill in blank) because he's arrogant!

- He won't hire (fill in so and so) because he's egotistical!

- He didnt draft (fill in position) because he wanted to show (fill in name) that he's in charge! How cocky can he be???

-He doesn't care about winning, only making money!!!! Greedy bastard!

LtBillsFan66
01-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Couldn't agree more DD.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Three words: "Save your postage".

That's all I needed to hear to know the guy is an egotistical d**k. He has now been run out of two NFL organizations. No sympathy from me - he's made more money in the last 5 years than most of us will make in a lifetime.

:bigwave:

Dozerdog
01-06-2006, 11:29 PM
See? LOL

LtBillsFan66
01-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I hear you Cynical. But that quote and the jerks quote seen/heard in their entire contexts weren't bad at all.

lordofgun
01-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Fact is he was rude and snobbish on many occasions. I don't blame people for calling him arrogant.

LtBillsFan66
01-06-2006, 11:31 PM
See? LOL
He touched on every one of your points!

LtBillsFan66
01-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Fact is he was rude and snobbish on many occasions. I don't blame people for calling him arrogant.
You all would LOVE Bill Parcells.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2006, 11:33 PM

Exactly. :up:

lordofgun
01-06-2006, 11:35 PM
It's different when you're arrogant AND successful.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2006, 11:36 PM

Apples and oranges. Living in NYC for 15 years I've seen him a million times and he isn't rude, he's blunt but he's HONEST. And I've seen him admit when s**t is f**ked up. Unlike TD who kept pouring the Kool Aid.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2006, 11:37 PM
It's different when you're arrogant AND successful.

That too.. :;

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Apples and oranges. Living in NYC for 15 years I've seen him a million times and he isn't rude, he's blunt but he's HONEST. And I've seen him admit when s**t is f**ked up. Unlike TD who kept pouring the Kool Aid.
Blunt as Randy Johnson? :snicker:

ICE74129
01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
You handled yourself with Class and represented the Bills fanbase well. You should be proud of yourself.

Look I hate tom Donahoe the GM. I wouldn't walk across the street to piss in his arse if his guts were on fire! BUT! The MAN himself I don't know and I have no issues with.

He got canned, and so what is done is done.

G. Host
01-07-2006, 12:22 AM
I hear you Cynical. But that quote and the jerks quote seen/heard in their entire contexts weren't bad at all.

Exactly. Those who did not like him in press did their usual primadonna routine to turn fans against him. WGR did same thing to Glenn Parker when he told one WGR host he wouldn't know football if it was shoved up his ass! (not exact quote but I was there when he said it).

dolphinssuck
01-07-2006, 05:36 AM
I finally cave to my brazilian friend Pedro's bugging and went with the gang to the Green Forest BrazilianRestaurant in Pen Hills. It's an all meat restaurant. Guess who I saw there? Tom Donahoe with two other guys that I don't recognize. Must be the new year things: I ran into David Littlefield (the Pirate's GM) on new year's eve in Neville Island Sports complex - he played some indoor golf and then lay on the ground watching his kids playing football.

I'm no fan of TD. In fact I protested the hiring of TD back in 2000 in the twobillsdrive board and ran into big argument, on and off the message board, with a mod named Simon there, resulting me deciding never go to that board again. But at least I'm not an extreme fan to the degree of hating Donahoe. Actually I came to appreciate his handling of FAs during thelast 5 years.

He certainly looked a bit pale. But my friends, knowing me being a big Bills fan pushed me in front of the 'ol whitey and introduced me as a die-hard Bills fan. To my surprise, he shook my hands and apologized for "not delivering for your team." Anyhow, we had a little chat and he emphysized that the Bills have a good foundation and should soon return to playoffs. Being a nice guy I am, I did not argue with him. I could tell he and his friends had a few judging from the wine bottles on the table. In all we talked for around 7-8 minutes ranging from where I live, how I follow the Bills to the Bills itself.

My buddies are now calling me chicken, bashing the dude behind his back relentlessly but failed to say anything bad face to face. I don't know. ralph has already canned his ass, would more do I want? After all this is his private life moments, I do't find the urge to add anything to the injury. Your right you actually had nothing to gain from blasting him because all it would have done is cause a unnecessary mess. He got what he deservered and what we wanted so nothing else was to be gained.

Historian
01-07-2006, 05:44 AM
I have to agree with Cynical and Log. Sorry, this was a special case.

There's being aloof, then there's being an arrogant jerk. Donahoe was the latter. With the competition for the entertainment dollar so fierce, you don't insult your loyal customers...excuse me...fans. Just be thankful for the blessings bestowed on you, and smile. Hell...it's only football.

The business with the signs was pathetic too.

All that being said, you exhibited a lot of character by holding your tongue, and not disrupting the restaurant. Perhaps Donahoe will remember that the next time he feels the need to insult someone's fan base.

:up:

Gary Bettman ate in the booth behind me the other day at lunch.

don137
01-07-2006, 08:06 AM
No need to be classless and kick a guy while he's down. I think it was commenadble for him to apologize. Saying he sucked would of not done any good anyways. It would make Bills fans seem classless. He cared enough to spend a few minutes with you which is cool.
My biggest beef with him is he truly sucked picking head coaches and addressing the OL. I truly believe if we had Fox we would of been in the playoffs by now. If we had Weiss I think we could of at least been 8-8 this year.

Michael82
01-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Gary Bettman ate in the booth behind me the other day at lunch.

You had to be pretty tempted to say something to him. Did you?

Historian
01-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Nope.

Whomever he was sitting with (looked like a reporter) they were talking about golf the whole time.

Typ0
01-07-2006, 04:49 PM
wasn't one of TD's first moves to release a veteran and that player heard it through the media not at least over the phone from the horses mouth? How many veterans has his BS alienated along the way? We see the crap he spewed forth in the media...no doubt he treated the players with the same "no real answer because I'm god" attitude. And then there is the bit about the signs which is rediculous.

I really didn't have a lot of problems with the man's personnel moves. He tried. He brought in talent...and I'm sure the day we drafted MW he thought the lT spot was fixed up. You can't blame a guy for missing on a draft pick as they are so hit and miss.

But I have this saying...if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck--it's a duck. And TD is an arrogant standoffish ass of a duck.

Ebenezer
01-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Nope.

Whomever he was sitting with (looked like a reporter) they were talking about golf the whole time.
when I see players around people always say, "hey did you talk to him"? my answer is always, "no". They are people too. Do you go up to a total stranger and start talking to them when they are in public about their job? Not likely. If the opportunity arises take advantage of it but no adult should cut in on others.

Michael82
01-07-2006, 04:56 PM
wasn't one of TD's first moves to release a veteran and that player heard it through the media not at least over the phone from the horses mouth? How many veterans has his BS alienated along the way? We see the crap he spewed forth in the media...no doubt he treated the players with the same "no real answer because I'm god" attitude. And then there is the bit about the signs which is rediculous.

I really didn't have a lot of problems with the man's personnel moves. He tried. He brought in talent...and I'm sure the day we drafted MW he thought the lT spot was fixed up. You can't blame a guy for missing on a draft pick as they are so hit and miss.

But I have this saying...if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck--it's a duck. And TD is an arrogant standoffish ass of a duck.
Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed were released and found out about it on the TV. Bruce Smith asked to be cut after this mess.

Typ0
01-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed were released and found out about it on the TV. Bruce Smith asked to be cut after this mess.

and how does that make the remaining players feel about the organization? This is the heart of TD's demise.

The_Philster
01-07-2006, 05:05 PM
when I see players around people always say, "hey did you talk to him"? my answer is always, "no". They are people too. Do you go up to a total stranger and start talking to them when they are in public about their job? Not likely. If the opportunity arises take advantage of it but no adult should cut in on others.agreed...if anything I may say hi...talked to Bruce Smith a few times like that..Thurman as well.

Keep in mind that Thurman, Andre, and Bruce were cut by Butler, not TD

Typ0
01-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I thought it was another player.

Typ0
01-07-2006, 05:11 PM
a lineman maybe.

Michael82
01-07-2006, 05:18 PM
agreed...if anything I may say hi...talked to Bruce Smith a few times like that..Thurman as well.
Keep in mind that Thurman, Andre, and Bruce were cut by Butler, not TD
oh yeah, they were cut the year before. :doh:

Well, I'm sure the list of players cut by TD is pretty big. He did axe the team a few times. :ill:

Michael82
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
a lineman maybe.
Ted Washington was CUT by TD.

Typ0
01-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Holecek is the name that comes to mind.

The_Philster
01-07-2006, 05:44 PM
:blowup: I had just gotten his jersey a few weeks before he was cut!!! :mad:

Historian
01-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Not a lot of famous 52s in our history that you could change it to, either.

Maybe John Kaiser....or David Bavaro, lol.

G. Host
01-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Donahoe messed up with Holecek. He asked Holecek to sign an extension and then cut him messing up Holecek (he was too late to make another team) and cap, Reminds me of Bledsoe foobar.

Michael82
01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Henry Jones is another in my mind. :mad:

Michael82
01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
How about what he did to Steve Christie? :ill:

G. Host
01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Definitely Christie, it was like he was asking "What have you done for me lately" especially after the comment that kickers were a dime a dozen and not needed to week 3 or 4 of preseason.

G. Host
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM

I picked one up at training camp for my daughter after she got his autograph and she did not even have opprotunity to wear it before he was cut.

Michael82
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Definitely Christie, it was like he was asking "What have you done for me lately" especially after the comment that kickers were a dime a dozen and not needed to week 3 or 4 of preseason.
Remember Jake Arians? :ill:

Then again, we also had Shayne Graham here but didnt give him a chance. :(

DaBills
01-07-2006, 10:25 PM
All I know is Patrick76777 would've known what to do in the restaurant.

:afro:

Night Train
01-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Nice job, GHZ. He's gone and that's a result of the bottom line of wins and losses. I would still treat him with respect.

I'm sure he did some not so nice things to some people at OBD but I'll never know the facts anyhow. Time to move on.

McBFLO
01-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Dont forget the "I'm embarassed to be part of this community" comment TD made. That being said, congrats to you on being a class act and representing Bills fans well.

Mr. Cynical
01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Dont forget the "I'm embarassed to be part of this community" comment TD made. That being said, congrats to you on being a class act and representing Bills fans well.

wow...i forgot about that one...