PDA

View Full Version : Play JP Every Game Regardless

Sco11
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
He needs to play regardless, we need to let the team know, JP's the guy if you don't like it then get out! Theres no let Kelly Holcomb play if JP struggles, let him play learn so our offense will be more consistent other than when theres a different player every week. Get an experienced Offensive Cordinator that knows we need to run the ball regardless, JP's not learning anything when he's throwing 35x's a game.

Ebenezer
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
It all depends on the philosophy of the team. If their goal is "to win one" then the kids isn't ready. If their goal is to go 8-8 or so and plan for 2007 (there are bigger problems on this team than QB) then play the kid every down. Might depend on what RW wants.

L.A. Playa
01-07-2006, 02:16 PM
if you are banking on him being the future of the team the choice is easy, at least expectations will be low going into next year

kinigirly
01-07-2006, 02:16 PM
i expect to see jp start every game. the only reasons i see as justifiable for him not to is if he is substantially injured, or has a family emergency. and i don't see marv as being a flip flopper like TD on team philosophy for the season, so jp should make it his year

Ebenezer
01-07-2006, 02:19 PM
i expect to see jp start every game. the only reasons i see as justifiable for him not to is if he is substantially injured, or has a family emergency. and i don't see marv as being a flip flopper like TD on team philosophy for the season, so jp should make it his year
if he gets seriously injured then he is finished in Buffalo.

G. Host
01-07-2006, 02:19 PM
He needs to play regardless, we need to let the team know, JP's the guy if you don't like it then get out! Theres no let Kelly Holcomb play if JP struggles, let him play learn so our offense will be more consistent other than when theres a different player every week. Get an experienced Offensive Cordinator that knows we need to run the ball regardless, JP's not learning anything when he's throwing 35x's a game.

As long as fans are willing to buy all of the tickets and mechandise while he sucks as well as not call for jobs of any coaches/front office staff, I can not see why Bills would not do that but reality intervenes and fans are NOT that loyal and have other things to spend money on.

dolphinssuck
01-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I agree JP should play 16 games next season barring a injury. With Marv coming in I suspect thats what will happen. JP is definitely the future of our orginazation and all the potential in the world to be a very good QB in the league.

Sco11
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I really think he will show his potential next year if we upgrade our o-line, especially if mcgahee is running hard and theres a passing threat for once.

The_Philster
01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
As long as fans are willing to buy all of the tickets and mechandise while he sucks as well as not call for jobs of any coaches/front office staff, I can not see why Bills would not do that but reality intervenes and fans are NOT that loyal and have other things to spend money on.
We sold out every game this year...a great many of those tickets were bought before the season started. The word back when they were purchased was that JP would be starting every game and learning as he went...so your statement has no merit, IMO.

G. Host
01-07-2006, 05:22 PM
We sold out every game this year...a great many of those tickets were bought before the season started. The word back when they were purchased was that JP would be starting every game and learning as he went...so your statement has no merit, IMO.

That was BEFORE seeing JP play very much with lots of preseason hype and hyperbole; afterwards many people I am sure they have had their eyes open whose initials are not J. P. D. :D

Last year the idea was an exciting rookie QB with a veteran team which would do smash mouth football (the line's best attribute) using a RB who was supposed to be better with a defense / special teams carrying the team.

The Bills fans are NOT willing to put up with an entire year of losses and JP is not good enough to carry team so giving ball unconditionally does not make sense. He needs to EARN it.

Turf
01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Marv has no commitment to JP. If Marv finds an experienced STARTING QB he will bring him in and make JP wait.

The_Philster
01-07-2006, 05:42 PM
1..no one expected JP to carry the team..nor does anyone expect to now
2...JP improved over the season...and he showed, at times, that he's already better than the alternative

Yasgur's Farm
01-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I realize the Coach/GM don't necessarily go by this... But every poll I've seen shows 70 to 80% of Bills fans want JP as the starter.

feelthepain
01-07-2006, 07:35 PM
God I hope so!!!

hydro014
01-07-2006, 09:12 PM
i posted this before, but i think you guys would like to see it.

With all this JP talk i thought i would look at how some current and past QB's did in their 1st and 2nd years. I am not trying to compare JP to any of the great QBs, or even trying to say he will be that good, but i thought that the stats were interesting.

G COMP ATT % YDS TD INT PASS RATING
Elway 10 123 259 47.5 1663 7 14 54.9
mario 11 173 296 58.4 2210 20 6 96
kelly 16 285 480 59.4 3593 22 17 83.3
farve 15 302 471 64.1 3227 18 13 85.3
young 14 195 363 53.7 2282 8 13 65.6
montana 16 176 273 64.5 1795 15 9 87.8
aikmen 11 222 399 52.9 1749 9 18 55.7
losman 9 116 233 49.8 1372 8 9 63.5
k. orton 15 190 368 51.6 1869 9 13 59.7
p. manning 16 326 575 56.7 3739 26 28 71.2
carr 16 233 444 52.5 2592 9 15 62.8
macnabb 12 106 216 49.1 948 8 7 60.1
bledsoe 13 214 429 47.9 2494 15 15 65
e. manning 9 95 197 48.2 1043 6 9 55.4

Take what ever you want from these stats but they all look about the same, not good. I am not really JP crazy, but i do know that unless you give the kid a chance to play we'll never know. Also, if you dont give him a half way decent OL you'll never know what he's capable of. I do know one thing if KH is going to be our QB we wont be going very far.

If they think that JP is not our future than get rid of him and bring some other QBs in by, FA, Draft, Trade, or whatever i we just need someone that can be our future, and everyone knows KH is NOT.

X-Era
01-07-2006, 09:58 PM

I have ZERO doubt that JP puts more fannys in the seats than Hole-***.

Win, lose, or draw, JP has more excitement in his left pinky toe than Holcomb has in his whole body.

This was our year to develop him and still end in about the same place, we BLEW that how many more years are we willing to play mediocre?

Holcomb has done nothing EVER.

In Marvs words, the past should have made Holcomb history, the future is the JP mystery, and the present, with Holcomb, has been a lump of coal.

bernielivsey_1
01-07-2006, 11:50 PM
:crap: Marv said the best players will play, no matter where they were drafted. :bad:

LifetimeBillsFan
01-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Two things lead me to believe that JP Losman will start most of the games for the Bills next season--but perhaps not all of them.

1.) Levy's initial comments about JP were very supportive of Losman: he said that he liked what he saw of him in preseason and made a comment to the effect that almost all of the great QBs similarly struggled in their first seasons. While Marv qualified these remarks by saying that he hadn't studied what JP did this season closely and would need to do so, this would seem to indicate that, at this point, Levy is predisposed to giving JP some benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove himself and will back MM if he wants to go with JP over Holcomb.

2.) In Levy's book, he talks about how he had Steve Fuller, Mike Livingston, Tom Clements and Bill Kenney in KC and expresses great bitterness about how team president Jack Steadman interfered with his handling of the team's QB situation. It makes interesting reading and might cause a lot of Bills fans who are hoping that Marv's input will lead to more stability at the QB position more than a little agita. One thing that comes across is that Marv has a much more patient and tolerant approach to young QBs than most fans, another is that he is not afraid to have a team change QBs in mid-season to gain a spark or go with a journeyman veteran QB if he sees the team needing to address other priorities. I think that Marv's bitterness over the interference that he had to deal with in KC will make approach the Bills' situation differently and with a lighter touch than many of us expect, but that his tolerance and patience with a young QB will make him more open to MM going with Losman if he thinks the kid is making progress. Unlike a lot of fans, I think that Marv sees having a good QB as being important to a team's success, but doesn't see the QB as being a team's savior. Marv repeatedly mentions the mantra that "offense puts fannies in the seats, special teams win games, but defense wins championships" and I suspect that that will be the approach that he will take when he sets his priorities for the organization.

There are two things that I think could impact how much JP plays next season beyond this: one is the attitude that the players bring to the team next season--I think that Marv and MM will try very hard to get them all on the same page, but I'm not sure that they will be able to succeed in getting everyone on the team as it is now to buy into that; the other is how much pressure R.Wilson and M.Levy feel to turn the team into a winner now. I don't think a short-term approach will work, but, given their ages, they may feel that they really don't have enough time left to take a more patient approach to building a team that can contend for a Super Bowl over a period of years. If they can't get the vets to buy into a long-term solution or feel that they don't have enough time, themselves, to wait for Losman to develop, they could sacrifice JP for the sake of expediency. However, given Levy's KC experiences, I suspect that, if he possibly can, Marv may be more inclined to take a more long-term view certainly than some of the veteran players on the team.