PDA

View Full Version : The Bills have signed many players for 2006.

Ebenezer
01-07-2006, 04:29 PM
According to both Ourlads.com and NFLPA.org the Bills have been busy since losing to the Jets. With 54 players signed, I currently have them around $7-$7.5 mil under a cap of $93.5 - but there will be many adjustments to that number.

They have signed the following:

<pre>
LeWaylon Brown DT
Greg Carothers LB
Greg Ochs QB
Wendall Hunter LB
Nicholas Setta P/K
Eric Powell DE
Tai Tupai DT
John Goldsberry FB
Dylan McFarland T
Tory Woodbury QB
Brad Cieslak TE

FirstDownBills
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
According to both Ourlads.com and NFLPA.org the Bills have been busy since losing to the Jets. With 54 players signed, I currently have them around $7-$7.5 mil under a cap of $93.5 - but there will be many adjustments to that number.

LeWaylon Brown DT
Greg Carothers LB
Greg Ochs QB
Wendall Hunter LB
Nicholas Setta P/K
Eric Powell DE
Tai Tupai DT
John Goldsberry FB
Dylan McFarland T
Tory Woodbury QB
Brad Cieslak TE

Are these just rumors or is this official? If official can you give us a little background on these players? Thanks.
</PRE>

gr8slayer
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Woodbury looked good in the pre-season.

G. Host
01-07-2006, 05:51 PM
LAWAYLON BROWN
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7714/
Buffalo Bills | DT | #67
College: Oklahoma State Rookie Yr: 2004
Ht., Wt.: 6'5", 305

Greg Carothers
http://gohuskies.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carothers_greg00.html
College: Washington Huskies Rookie Yr: 2004
Ht., Wt.: 6-2 / 235
Arizona Cardnals | LB

Greg Ochs
Oregon QB
(He backed up Joey Harrington)

Wendell Hunter
http://calbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hunter_wendell01.html
College: California
Buffalo Bills | LB | cut in training camp 9/3/2005
Ht., Wt.: 6-0, 228

Nicholas Setta
http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1576
College: Notre Dame
NFL Europe Rhein Fire
Ht., Wt.: 5-11, 204

ERIC POWELL
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7723/
Buffalo Bills | DE | #0
College: Florida State Rookie Yr: 2004
Ht., Wt.: 6'3", 268
NFL Exp.: R

Tai Tupai | DT
http://wsucougars.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tupai_tai00.html
College: Wisconson Cougars
Ht / Wt:, 6-5 / 320

BRAD CIESLAK
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7564/
Buffalo Bills | TE | #48
College: Northern Illinois Rookie Yr: 2005
Ht., Wt.: 6'3", 262

Were on roster, in training camp or on practice squad:
John Goldsberry FB
Dylan McFarland T
Tory Woodbury QB

FirstDownBills
01-07-2006, 05:57 PM
LAWAYLON BROWN
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7714/
Buffalo Bills | DT | #67
College: Oklahoma State Rookie Yr: 2004
Ht., Wt.: 6'5", 305

Greg Carothers
http://gohuskies.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carothers_greg00.html
College: Washington Huskies Rookie Yr: 2004
Ht., Wt.: 6-2 / 235
Arizona Cardnals | LB

Greg Ochs
Oregon QB
(He backed up Joey Harrington)

Wendell Hunter
http://calbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hunter_wendell01.html
College: California
Buffalo Bills | LB | cut in training camp 9/3/2005
Ht., Wt.: 6-0, 228

Nicholas Setta
http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1576
College: Notre Dame
NFL Europe Rhein Fire
Ht., Wt.: 5-11, 204

ERIC POWELL
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7723/
Buffalo Bills | DE | #0
College: Florida State Rookie Yr: 2004
Ht., Wt.: 6'3", 268
NFL Exp.: R

Tai Tupai | DT
http://wsucougars.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tupai_tai00.html
College: Wisconson Cougars
Ht / Wt:, 6-5 / 320

BRAD CIESLAK
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7564/
Buffalo Bills | TE | #48
College: Northern Illinois Rookie Yr: 2005
Ht., Wt.: 6'3", 262

Were on roster, in training camp or on practice squad:
John Goldsberry FB
Dylan McFarland T
Tory Woodbury QB

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

X-Era
01-07-2006, 09:38 PM

LeWaylon Brown DT
Greg Carothers LB
Greg Ochs QB
Wendall Hunter LB
Nicholas Setta P/K
Eric Powell DE
Tai Tupai DT
John Goldsberry FB
Dylan McFarland T
Tory Woodbury QB
Brad Cieslak TE

Lesson 1) Your cap numbers are wrong, see Clumpy (your master)

Lesson 2) TD is now gone so you can stop your worship of him and his bargain basement approach that is worth as much as my recently used toilet paper

Lesson 3) Re-read lessons 1 and 2 over and then repeat lesson 3.
</pre>

gr8slayer
01-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Pretty much sounds like camp fodder.

Ebenezer
01-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Lesson 1) Your cap numbers are wrong, see Clumpy (your master)

Lesson 2) TD is now gone so you can stop your worship of him and his bargain basement approach that is worth as much as my recently used toilet paper

Lesson 3) Re-read lessons 1 and 2 over and then repeat lesson 3.
</pre>

are you high??

1. Clump and I use the same numbers. I took the latest figure he had and subtracted off the new Crowell contract and the contracts of these players and then gave $500K of breathing room. Please stop.

2. Where did I praise TD?? I simply posted the players the Bills signed...see the thread on trick plays by Belichick where I knocked TD.

3. Go back to school yourself.

ParanoidAndroid
01-07-2006, 10:30 PM

Precisely.

gr8slayer
01-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Precisely.
With the exception of Woodbury.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Cieslak was on the Bills' practice squad all season and was activated for the last regular season game. With all of the injuries at TE, he got a lot of reps in mini-camps and preseason and impressed the coaches with his stamina and durability. Bills fans who want the team to have a flashy, athletic TE who is a deep threat won't be impressed at all by him, but he did show decent hands (I believe he had a catch against the Jets, but I'm not sure) in camp and is the kind of TE who isn't afraid to block--which is the kind of TE that most HCs like to have around and most teams need at least one of. Depending on what Neufeld's injury was and how many TEs the Bills keep, Cieslak might have a chance to stick with the team as a third or fourth TE. With Everett out and the O-line being so bad, the Bills kept their TEs in a lot to help with blocking and didn't throw to them much this year. If they have to do that again next year, Cieslak might have a chance to stick with the club, especially if Neufeld doesn't come back and Everett is slow to develop.

McFarland was a late round Div 1-AA project that the Bills drafted two years ago and have kept. This will be his third year in the league and he will have to show that he is ready to produce in training camp or he will be gone. Depending on what they do to shore up the O-line, he could have a chance to make the squad as a back-up, but he's going to have to show more than he has so far.

LaWaylon Brown was brought in when Edwards was injured. I'm not sure, but I think he was active for one game. He's showed nothing, but was basically insurance in case the Bills lost another DT. I don't think he was activated after Sape was injured, so I think that tells you how much of a chance he will have of making the team next season.

Goldsbury wasn't bad in preseason on special teams, but the Bills chose to keep Joe Burns as their back-up RB/special teams demon over Goldsbury. Depending on how he progressed as a blocker in practices, he might be given a chance to either replace Burns or D.Shelton--both of whom are getting up there in age--in training camp, but the chances are slim.

Somebody at OBD must have liked Hunter because they brought him back to the practice squad twice, but with the changes in the front office and to the defensive staff, I don't know how much of a shot he has.

Woodbury was with the Jets and in the Bills TC this season. He is a "slash" type QB who was so-so in training camp. He might have a shot at the # 3 QB spot or as a "slash" player depending on what the Bills do about replacing S.Matthews and at WR in the off-season. I think he's a guy the Bills have kept around because of MM's fascination with using a "slash" type player on trick plays. I would be disappointed to see him with the Bills next season.

The Bills' practice squad was decimated during the course of the season--not just as a result of the injuries to the team and the need to bring in potential back-ups at DT and LB (Cieslak made the PS originally), but by other teams signing players off of the Bills' PS. If I'm not mistaken, three players were signed off of the Bills' practice squad over the course of the season--I know that there were two CBs (Evan Oglesby, who ended up starting for the Ravens in at least one game was one) and I believe one other player.

In recent years the Bills have shown a reluctance to send players that they really want to look at to NFLE and have signed a group of "throw-away" players that they could use to meet their required contributions to NFLE. Some of these players may have been signed for that purpose (Setta, in particular comes to mind). Except for the players that I have mentioned, I doubt that any of the others are more than camp fodder.

Given his past history, don't be surprised, though, if Marv Levy brings in some players from other teams' practice squads that nobody has ever heard of that end up making the team. For example, who knew who Steve Tasker was when the Bills picked him up from Houston? The same with kids from small colleges (like Andre Reed, Don Beebe, etc.). If the 1990's Bills proved anything, it was that a player didn't have to be a well-known prospect to end up making a big contribution to the team winning games.

Mr. Cynical
01-08-2006, 12:21 AM

Yep. If they couldn't beat out the players in front of them who produced a 5-11 season, they *really* suck ass.

clumping platelets
01-08-2006, 12:40 AM
:movie:

X-Era
01-08-2006, 07:37 AM
are you high??

1. Clump and I use the same numbers. I took the latest figure he had and subtracted off the new Crowell contract and the contracts of these players and then gave $500K of breathing room. Please stop.

2. Where did I praise TD?? I simply posted the players the Bills signed...see the thread on trick plays by Belichick where I knocked TD.

If "high" means I live in reality, you must be "low".

As of 12/18/05, I have the Bills $11,145,772 under an ESTIMATED salary cap of $93,500,000 million with $137,984 "dead cap".

theres a big difference between 7-7.5 and 11.1. Like I said you and Clumpy arent using the same numbers unless clump has newer, different, numbers behind the scenes.

Besides, there is little doubt that the contracts of Moulds and Williams will be drastically reduced in 06 and those additional funds could easily DOUBLE our current cap space of even 11 mill. There will be PLENTY of cash to get SEVERAL big name players.

Now, in actuallity I may have jumped to the conclusion that your point in this thread is that we are well on our way or have signed most of the players we need for 2006. That of course is SO far from the truth that its sickening.

If I wrongly assumed that that was your point, Im sorry.

ICE74129
01-08-2006, 09:15 AM

They are camp fodder.
LeWaylon Brown DT
Greg Carothers LB
Greg Ochs QB
Wendall Hunter LB
Nicholas Setta P/K
Eric Powell DE
Tai Tupai DT
John Goldsberry FB
Dylan McFarland T
Tory Woodbury QB
Brad Cieslak TE </pre>

Devin
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
are you high??

Get em Eb!

Ebenezer
01-08-2006, 04:32 PM
If "high" means I live in reality, you must be "low".

As of 12/18/05, I have the Bills $11,145,772 under an ESTIMATED salary cap of $93,500,000 million with $137,984 "dead cap".

theres a big difference between 7-7.5 and 11.1. Like I said you and Clumpy arent using the same numbers unless clump has newer, different, numbers behind the scenes.

Besides, there is little doubt that the contracts of Moulds and Williams will be drastically reduced in 06 and those additional funds could easily DOUBLE our current cap space of even 11 mill. There will be PLENTY of cash to get SEVERAL big name players.

Now, in actuallity I may have jumped to the conclusion that your point in this thread is that we are well on our way or have signed most of the players we need for 2006. That of course is SO far from the truth that its sickening.

If I wrongly assumed that that was your point, Im sorry.

Yeah. You're wrong.

Let me walk you through it. I started with the $11.4 mil that Clump and I discussed at lunch back in December (you weren't there). I then subtracted off the new contract for Crowell (approx $2 million) and the contracts of the 11 players the Bills have signed since the end of the season ($235,000 x 11=$2.585 million).

So. The Bills have spent $4.585 million since Clump's last update. $11.4 mil - $4.5 mil = $7 mil. I then gave a $500K window in case Crowell's numbers are a little off, the new 11 got any signing bonus and arrived at $7-$7.5 mil. Understand now. If anything I might be overestimating their cap room just a little.

Also, all I was doing was informing everybody that the Bills signed 11 players. That's all. Not that their roster was full. Not that these are the only guys they are signing. Not that these 11 were anything more than camp fodder.

Consider yourself schooled.

Devin
01-08-2006, 04:37 PM
DAMN.

Billsrock4life
01-08-2006, 05:15 PM
never heard of any of these dudes..... but thnx anywayz

TigerJ
01-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Shelton is getting close to the end of the road of his NFL career. Goldsberry was in the Bills camp this past season and showed pretty well. I think he has a legitimate shot of replacing Shelton. Cieslak finished the season on the active roster when Neufeld went down. The Bills hope Everett will be healthy and makes the team. I expect Campbell and Euhus to still be here. I think the Bills may try to carry Cieslak for another year or to on the PS and the dump Campbell. Cieslak could be a factor in a couple years unless Buffalo drafts another more promising TE in a year or two.

Ebenezer
01-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Shelton is getting close to the end of the road of his NFL career. Goldsberry was in the Bills camp this past season and showed pretty well. I think he has a legitimate shot of replacing Shelton. Cieslak finished the season on the active roster when Neufeld went down. The Bills hope Everett will be healthy and makes the team. I expect Campbell and Euhus to still be here. I think the Bills may try to carry Cieslak for another year or to on the PS and the dump Campbell. Cieslak could be a factor in a couple years unless Buffalo drafts another more promising TE in a year or two.
Personally, I think they should gut the TE position. Everett, Euhus and a 3rd TE. Campbell makes too much for the production and he is a terrible blocker.

clumping platelets
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
:movie:

TigerJ
01-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Personally, I think they should gut the TE position. Everett, Euhus and a 3rd TE. Campbell makes too much for the production and he is a terrible blocker.

They've not gotten a lot of production from the TE, but I think there's been some question whether that is due to our tight ends or the coaching. My opinion of Campbell is pretty neutral. I wouldn't mind seeing him gone.

Spiderweb
01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
They've not gotten a lot of production from the TE, but I think there's been some question whether that is due to our tight ends or the coaching. My opinion of Campbell is pretty neutral. I wouldn't mind seeing him gone.

When Campbell has had the opportunity to run a few routes, he's done OK from what I saw, and does seem to have decent hands. I seem to recall him being held back due to the crapm play of our O-line and his being used in max protect schemes far more than would be desired if the Bills did plan on using the TE as a viable weapon. I surely like him better than Neufield and Euhus hasn'y shown anything yet.

Both Euhus and Campbell should come back in better shape this year as they fought through the first year following knee surgery.

Hopefully, Everett will get a chance (hoping he fully recovers from the kneww surgery he had) and will show some quicks tht neither Campbell or Euhus has shown to date.

I'd love to see over TE's being able to split the seams in a zone, downfield 15-20 yards again (Reimersma had some success doing this before his injuries slowed him down). Nothing like having a TE up against a safety.

Gunzlingr
01-09-2006, 01:48 PM
"We have signed many, many, many wonderful players"
http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/palassard.jpg

Sportsuser101
01-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm shocked that our head coach (a former TE himself) has solved the TE position by now.

mysticsoto
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
From what I saw of Cieslak during TC and preseason, I thought he was a pretty good prospect. I'm glad he has been brought back, and I'm pretty sure he can beat Neufeld, Trafford or some of those loser TEs we have that do nothing but collect paychecks. Cieslak caught some tough passes in TC and could be a pleasant surprise at the position.