PDA

View Full Version : Would the Bills be better positioned with...

WG
01-23-2003, 12:55 PM
...a monster DL already in place, with a first round selection in this year's draft, and with Blake, Chandler or another experienced veteran QB instead of Drew?

LtBillsFan66
01-23-2003, 01:01 PM
No way. We could have been a tad better off last season. But this season (if we can build a solid D) is a much different story.

Bledsoe should not even be compared with Chandler or Blake.

lordofgun
01-23-2003, 01:06 PM
No. I'd take Drew. QB is one of the most important positions to fill. It's very hard to find someone capable. We didn't have anyone from 97-2001 or we could have been serious contenders a couple of those years.

Now we have 13-16 mil under the cap to spend on whoever we need. We weren't going to win the SuperBowl in 2002 anyways.

SABURZFAN
01-23-2003, 01:11 PM
if we didn't have drew and had our monster DL in place,our first round draft pick may have had us in the byron leftwich sweepstakes.

Typ0
01-23-2003, 01:13 PM
I definately would say no but there is one exception. My answer assumes the players are available now for us to build up our defensive line into a "monster". If they are not available now but they were available last season I might have to rethink this a little...but I don't think they were available to us last season--Sam Adams was never going to come here--so it's really a mute point and we are definately better off with Drew. Any of those other guys we still have a draft pick but we also are sitting here debating who is going to be our QB next season.

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2003, 01:20 PM
No I don't think we would be. What Monster D tackle could we have got instead of Drew? Adams maybe? Do you really think he would have single handedly turned this d around? He would have helped for sure, but I don't think it would have been dramatically better. I think the main problem with the d is total lack of a pass rush. Qbs could sit in the pocket all day and pick the d apart. With as much as you hate and bash Bledsoe's play I'd hate to see what you would write about slugs such as Blake, or Chandler if they came here. Now we have a competent Qb, and lots of cap space. Also a positive about not having a # 1 pick would be the fact that we don't have to pay a #1 pick which frees up more money to go after a veteran who can step right in and produce.

WG
01-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Good answers.

Typ0, there were plenty of other DTs available than SA.

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
if we didn't have drew and had our monster DL in place,our first round draft pick may have had us in the byron leftwich sweepstakes.

Would that have left us better or worse or around the same IYO?

WG
01-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
No I don't think we would be. What Monster D tackle could we have got instead of Drew? Adams maybe? Do you really think he would have single handedly turned this d around? He would have helped for sure, but I don't think it would have been dramatically better. I think the main problem with the d is total lack of a pass rush. Qbs could sit in the pocket all day and pick the d apart. With as much as you hate and bash Bledsoe's play I'd hate to see what you would write about slugs such as Blake, or Chandler if they came here. Now we have a competent Qb, and lots of cap space. Also a positive about not having a # 1 pick would be the fact that we don't have to pay a #1 pick which frees up more money to go after a veteran who can step right in and produce.

It would only have taken a very good DT to have improved this DL to something special. The secondary benefits in freeing up Williams would have been enormous! Besides, we would have been able to move on a DE too or OLB with around $6M for the pair.

As to Blake or Chandler, neither threw the INTs v. the better teams the way Drew did. Drew averaged over 2.5 personal TOs per game. Don't you think those were very significant?

If not, then think about this; take the most difficult 7 games next season. If I told you now that he was going to have 18 TOs in those games, would you wager a lot of money that we'd win them?

Typ0
01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Yeah but there will be plenty this year too.

WG
01-23-2003, 01:28 PM
BTW TT,

Please quit saying I'm bashing Bledsoe. This isn't bashing. It's simply looking objectively at the issues. If everyone keeps repeating that, then I will bash. That's a promise. No one wants that. But if I'm gonna get the sentence, I may as well commit the crime. So let's tone that stuff down a hair, eh.

THANKS!!!

:cheers:

WG
01-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Yeah but there will be plenty this year too.

Right, but we don't have a first round pick. And besides, there are nowhere near as many in either FAcy or the draft this year as there were last year. Last year there were 1st-rounders available in the early second round. There were at least 5 or 6 on FAcy. This year I can think of 2 or 3 on FAcy and they say the draft is nowhere near as deep.

Also, keep in mind, that in this QB rich draft, we won't have the opportunity to draft a "future" QB. Not a first rounder. If we had gone DL last year, then we'd be able to set ourselves up better for taking the "best player available" a little bit more. This year unequivocly we absolutely need to make DT a HUGE priority, and DE/OLB after that. We can ill afford to take any offensive guys in the draft. Besides, who're we gonna get in the middle of round 2? No guarantee.

SABURZFAN
01-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Would that have left us better or worse or around the same IYO?

i don't think we'd be any better than .500 next year if we didn't have drew and have leftwich.(if we even had a chance to get him)we'd be struggling with some journeyman at QB,while a young QB develops,moulds would be disgruntled,and fans wouldn't even show up at The Ralph.

like you,i'll just dance around the issue and not answer that question.:biggrin:

Bulldog
01-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Let me ask you this question Wys. How many of the quarterbacks that are taken in the first round actually go on to have great carrers or even decent ones? Buffalo grabbed a QB in Bledsoe who had experienced success in the league and will be in place for several years to come. Any time you can get a QB with Drew's experience and SKILL, you take them. There is no way you can tell if a draft pick will pan out, this is espically true for QBs.

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2003, 01:36 PM
"As to Blake or Chandler, neither threw the INTs v. the better teams the way Drew did. Drew averaged over 2.5 personal TOs per game. Don't you think those were very significant?"

Thats "f" Chandler could play back to back weeks without getting injured and "if" had any medium range game. There is no way you can tell me they are better QB's than Bledsoe SORRY....

LtBillsFan66
01-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Let me ask you this question Wys. How many of the quarterbacks that are taken in the first round actually go on to have great carrers or even decent ones? Buffalo grabbed a QB in Bledsoe who had experienced success in the league and will be in place for several years to come. Any time you can get a QB with Drew's experience and SKILL, you take them. There is no way you can tell if a draft pick will pan out, this is espically true for QBs.

Great post!!!

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2003, 01:38 PM
"then I will bash. That's a promise."

Go for it man!!!! I would like to see it!!!

LtBillsFan66
01-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Please quit saying I'm bashing Bledsoe.

I'm not saying you are bashing him, but there is no denying that he has been your only focus when trying to figure out why we went only 8-8. You hardly ever bring up any other factors (besides Bledsoe and Gilbride).

Your carrying on a tireless vendetta.

Patrick76777
01-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Objectively??????

You do make me laugh……..but enough is enough…..We get the point. In games we lost, Drew turned the ball over more then he did in games we won. Therefore, he’s below average, he’ll never win a superbowl and he’s the ONLY reason we didn’t make the playoffs this year………I think this is your point (although I’m sure you’ll tell me how I’m wrong) We all understand how you feel, however most of us disagree with you. You may be waiting for us to “see the light” and denounce Drew Bledsoe as nothing more then a below average NFL starter, but if I were you, I wouldn’t hold my breath. We all watched week after week when this guy would do things with the QB position that we haven’t seen here since the heydays of Jim Kelly. We saw him throw for 4300 yards and 24 TD’s, we saw him drive 76 yards in 4:21 and throw an unbelievable touchdown pass to Eric Moulds with :26 seconds left against the Jets. We saw him Shred the Vikings secondary and saw him hit Peerless Price with a bullet for the overtime winner. In that same game we saw him take us 29 yards in 26 seconds to set up the game tying field goal. We saw him throw 2 TD passes in overtime. We saw him take a 3-13 team and bring them to the Brink of playoff contention. We saw him torch the Dolphins secondary in a snowstorm, and saw him hit Eric Moulds long in the other phins game. We saw him bring us back in the third quarter in NY to within 11 points before our defense let NY drive right down the field and Eddie Robinson let Chad Pennington run right past him.

I also saw him try much too hard to carry his team to victory against the New England Patriots, I saw this twice…….Once in person, and after the game a NE fan from Boston told me, “We got you this time but I tell you what, You have one hell of a Quadaback” I also saw him perform poorly in GB, where he faced tremendous pressure fr……oh wait, you don’t want excuses……Anyway, this past season, I saw Bledsoe, sell out most of our games…..and bring excitement back to Buffalo. So you telling me that he is the sole reason for the Bills missing the playoffs, I would say that you have gone insane. We all see your point, but we see it differently…..Without Drew, we wouldn’t have had the chance to miss the playoffs in Week 16, we would have done that in week 8.

And like someone else said, we’d be using that first round pick, 3rd overall, to select Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall. Then we’d only need 4 years for him to be ready……

Patrick76777
01-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne

I'm not saying you are bashing him, but there is no denying that he has been your only focus when trying to figure out why we went only 8-8. You hardly ever bring up any other factors (besides Bledsoe and Gilbride).

Your carrying on a tireless vendetta.

So True……..We don’t understand how you could just think it’s one player that caused the whole thing to go down……….Bledsoe played terrible at times this year…..but guess what, he’s not the only one that did. Give me one player on this team that had 16 great games this year!

Dozerdog
01-23-2003, 02:23 PM
:deadhorse:

LtBillsFan66
01-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Bledsoe played terrible at times this year…..but guess what, he’s not the only one that did. Give me one player on this team that had 16 great games this year!

That is the bottom line! Many of us share the same view, but wys seems to think that we all excuse Bledsoe from every mistake.

Like you said, it's a team game.

Typ0
01-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Great post Patrick but you definately are beating a dead horse.

Ebenezer
01-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Wys,

Please in 50 words or less, explain to me where the Bills were going to get "the monster DL" that you want so terribly. What was available last year and this year that we could add if the offense sucked and we were 4-12...the team needed some credibility to attract free agents...with Drew and 8-8 they got that.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2003, 03:17 PM
So what if we did get the monster DT? Our LB's still blow.

Ebenezer
01-23-2003, 03:18 PM
As to Blake or Chandler, neither threw the INTs v. the better teams the way Drew did. Drew averaged over 2.5 personal TOs per game. Don't you think those were very significant?

If not, then think about this; take the most difficult 7 games next season. If I told you now that he was going to have 18 TOs in those games, would you wager a lot of money that we'd win them?

1. chandler was the second coming of RJ....he would have been hurt all the time and we would have AVP as QB.

2. Blake couldn't beat out Redmen as the QB in Balt. 'nuff said.

3. 2.5 TO per game...40 TO for the year?? What games were you watching??

4. Teams lose when their QB turns the ball over...except for Gannon.

kgun12
01-23-2003, 03:38 PM
BTW TT,

Please quit saying I'm bashing Bledsoe. This isn't bashing. It's simply looking objectively at the issues. If everyone keeps repeating that, then I will bash. That's a promise. No one wants that. But if I'm gonna get the sentence, I may as well commit the crime. So let's tone that stuff down a hair, eh.

THANKS!!!

Wys your not coming right out and saying Drew sucks, but you have said it so much that it is now implied. Everytime you bring up Drew in a thread we all know that. So know matter how you circle around the subject we all know what you are saying. My son does the same thing and I give him the same answer over and over also.

Know matter how you ask the question the we still want Drew as our QB, and even more when our choices are Blake and Chandler. You can't be serious? Besides this may come as a shock to you but Drew is under contract for a few more years, GET USE TO IT:xplode:

kgun12
01-23-2003, 03:41 PM
BTW:deadhorse

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2003, 03:42 PM
I vote for kgun to be president of the ostrich club.

Voltron
01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Wys,

Please in 50 words or less,

:10:

:rofl: