PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: WHY

Tatonka
01-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Forked from: WHY (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1309502)

Do some Bills fans want to draft a O-lineman with our #8???? That's waaay to early for a guard and Gandy & Peters are capable starters. I say we go BPA in need positions like DT,CB,DE,FS,TE etc we can get lineman galore with our other picks...
*maybe TE @#8 is a reach.....

i really just dont see tackle as being a huge need.. gandy did NOT play bad this season. and peters showed signs of being a star.. if anything.. sign both to long term deals and switch them to the opposite sides, so that we can build around peters. gandy is no worse than average..

our main problem was clearly in the middle.. we drafted a center last season, and hopefully preston will get stronger over the offseason and take that job. teague can stick around as a back up at a reduced salary if he wants.. if not.. then walk buddy.

lecharles bentley and hutchenson are the best options out there it looks like.. i really cant see hutch leaving the seahawks.. they will offer him good money.. he is surrounded by other great offensive lineman and is on a great team/offense. but he would be great.. i just dont think there is any way he leaves.

bentley, while i am not overly impressed with him from what i have seen, is considered a good lineman and has made a probowl. I do think that under mcnally he could be better.. and the best part is that he and preston can fight it out for guard and center. he would be a huge signing for us.

leaving one guard to draft.

There is one guy that really stands out.. Tatusi Lutui.. for any of you that watched the Sugar bowl.. you could not have missed Lutui.. he took up half the tv screen.. he is 6-5 and 370lbs from Southern California.. he can be had in the second round and he would be a huge addition.. literally.

Our line would look like this...

Peters - Lutui - Preston - Bentley - Gandy

Mr. Cynical
01-08-2006, 12:05 AM
you could not have missed Lutui.. he took up half the tv screen..

:roflmao:

The_Philster
01-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I agree with you on the fact that Gandy and Peters did a good job this year overall, but I have to wonder if their performance would suffer if they were to swap positions. You need a road grader at RT and I think Peters has shown more ability in that area.

Tatonka
01-08-2006, 12:22 AM
if the coaches think that keeping them there is the best thing, then i have no problem with leaving gandy at LT and peters at Rt..

the main thing is getting peters locked up for a while before he makes too big a name for himself.

Mr. Cynical
01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
if the coaches think that keeping them there is the best thing, then i have no problem with leaving gandy at LT and peters at Rt..

Did Mouse survive the cuts? If so, do you really trust his judgment at this point? I know I don't. They may work out but I would only trust a new oline coach to tell me.

Ickybaluky
01-08-2006, 12:30 AM
I think when you select in the top 10, you should draft less for need and more for best player available.

I think where teams go wrong drafting high is when they draft for need more than talent, because the talented guys are clearer near the top.

Granted, you can't completely ignore need, but in the top 10 teams should try to take the best player they can find.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Lutui is definitely a possibility and could be a good one, but with all of the talent coming out at OT in this year's draft, I would hate to miss a chance to get a young guy who could be a fixture at LT for years to come.

While I'm not as high on Ferguson, McNeill and Winston as some, there are 6-7 LOTs in this draft that are highly rated: Winston Justice (RT), Jon Scott, Orien Harris (RT), Andrew Whitworth, Jeremey Trueblood, Darryn Colledge (Max Jean-Gilles can play OT, but projects as an OG) and that's not counting Joe Thomas, who may or may not come out this year; and it would be a shame for the Bills to pass on a chance to pick up a potential upgrade at left tackle this year and have to scramble for someone who can be adequate at the position in a couple of years.

What I would like to see is the Bills either trade down and take a LOT late in the first round or with their second round pick. If they can get the kid ready to start the season at LOT, they could move Gandy inside to left guard where his quickness would make him a better pass blocker than anyone that they have had at that position. Or, they could sign a premier OG and use Gandy to back-up at both LOT and LOG. The Bears, who have been committed to running the ball for years, may have been onto something when they moved Gandy inside to guard before he got hurt and ultimately was cut by them.

Tatonka
01-08-2006, 12:56 AM
if we are drafting based on talent on the board then ngata or hawk are easy picks.. both are awesome and i feel both are the safest picks on the board.

Tatonka
01-08-2006, 12:58 AM
again.. gandy is not a guard.. he will never be a guard.. moving him to guard is just dumb.. ask the bears.

gr8slayer
01-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Left Tackle is always the most important position on the OL when you have a right handed QB. OL and DL are the most important positions on the field. If they suck, your team sucks.

Tatonka
01-08-2006, 10:46 AM
my point is.. LT is not a position we suck at.

i can remember about 3 times all season that gandy was clearly just beaten around the corner and the qb was sacked..

i also watched about 3 ravens games and saw that happen 2 times to ogden.

i really just dont think gandy played bad.

ICE74129
01-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Drafting BPA has = 31-49.

Draft on NEED.

Why a LT? It's easy. the cornerstones of your franchise are QB, RDE and LEFT TACKLE!

I am sick of guys like gandy that are 'OK' Draft a 10 year STUD to put in there. Great teams do that!

Screw BPA! you do BPA ONLY when you have a GOOD Team. BPA is a luxury that New England, Pittsburgh, Denver, Indy and the Bills of the 90's could afford. We have NEEDS And LEFT TACKLE is the #1 need on this team.

ICE74129
01-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I think when you select in the top 10, you should draft less for need and more for best player available.

I think where teams go wrong drafting high is when they draft for need more than talent, because the talented guys are clearer near the top.

Granted, you can't completely ignore need, but in the top 10 teams should try to take the best player they can find.

BPA = 31-49. We have clear cut needs on this team. Time to quit ignoring them

The_Philster
01-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Drafting BPA has = 31-49.

Draft on NEED.

Why a LT? It's easy. the cornerstones of your franchise are QB, RDE and LEFT TACKLE!

I am sick of guys like gandy that are 'OK' Draft a 10 year STUD to put in there. Great teams do that!

Screw BPA! you do BPA ONLY when you have a GOOD Team. BPA is a luxury that New England, Pittsburgh, Denver, Indy and the Bills of the 90's could afford. We have NEEDS And LEFT TACKLE is the #1 need on this team.
#1? :huh: We have gaping holes in the middle of both lines

finsrclowns
01-08-2006, 11:03 AM
the main thing is getting peters locked up for a while before he makes too big a name for himself.

Educate me on this. Peters is a RFA. We have to make him a "qualifying offer" I believe and depending on how high it is will determine what compensation we would get if he got an offer from another team which we chose not to match? Is that how it works? Do you know the details on this RFA deal? I agree we need to keep Peters- he could become a monster at RT or LT.

Tatonka
01-08-2006, 12:13 PM
clump or eb would be better for this, but yes.. you have it right..

we make him an offer as a RFA.. the more money we offer on a one year deal makes the compensation for him a higher round draft pick.. so i think it is something like this.. (all of these are one year deals.. you can sign him long term and another team cant steal him)

1.3 million - 1st round pick
900k - 2nd round pick
600k - 3rd round pick

ect...

those numbers are not exact.. again.. get clump to explain it.

finsrclowns
01-09-2006, 04:03 PM
clump or eb would be better for this, but yes.. you have it right..
we make him an offer as a RFA.. the more money we offer on a one year deal makes the compensation for him a higher round draft pick.. so i think it is something like this.. (all of these are one year deals.. you can sign him long term and another team cant steal him)
1.3 million - 1st round pick
900k - 2nd round pick
600k - 3rd round pick
ect...
those numbers are not exact.. again.. get clump to explain it.

Yo Clump...mayday, mayday!:funny:

One other question: if those figures are close then we just have to not be too cheap with Peters and that should scare any foxes from raiding our hen house, right? Is 1.3m too much to offer Peters? Wouldn't think so based on the coin we're flushing on Jumbo Williams.

Dozerdog
01-09-2006, 04:27 PM
if we are drafting based on talent on the board then ngata or hawk are easy picks.. both are awesome and i feel both are the safest picks on the board.Considering it will cost us $25 million to sign whomever we draft there, you should be going with the "safest" pick. No reaches. For every Freeny there are 3 Eric Flowers

Michael82
01-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I agree with you on the fact that Gandy and Peters did a good job this year overall, but I have to wonder if their performance would suffer if they were to swap positions. You need a road grader at RT and I think Peters has shown more ability in that area.
I totally disagree. Peters has proved he has more speed and I think he would make a much better LT because of his speed and footwork. Gandy would be a better road grader. It's no coincidence that our run blocking on the right side fell apart when Mike Williams got injured and went down. Mike Gandy would be a stud at RT, he's huge, plus he's nasty. I love the idea of moving Jason Peters to LT. He's our best athete on the line and should be protecting JP's blindside.

Stewie
01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Bentley from NO made the probowl as a center. Why move him to guard if he's on the roster? Put duke in at RG

G. Host
01-10-2006, 06:12 AM

I totally disagree. Peters has proved he has more speed and I think he would make a much better LT because of his speed and footwork. Gandy would be a better road grader. It's no coincidence that our run blocking on the right side fell apart when Mike Williams got injured and went down. Mike Gandy would be a stud at RT, he's huge, plus he's nasty. I love the idea of moving Jason Peters to LT. He's our best athete on the line and should be protecting JP's blindside.

Phil stick to watching Jills because Mikey for once is right and Peters is NOT a very good run blocker. The run game was anemic behind Peters once Mike Williams went out with an injury. Willis was not sucking it up and running but it was not all his fault.

If we want to be a run first team we need a better RT than Peters.

Tatonka
01-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Bentley from NO made the probowl as a center. Why move him to guard if he's on the roster? Put duke in at RG

because bentley is just as good at guard as he is at center. Duke may not be.

finsrclowns
01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
because bentley is just as good at guard as he is at center. Duke may not be.

How do you know this? Has Bentley played guard? Just asking.