PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE HAVE INFO ON ATTENDING THE NFL DRAFT ?

Bmax
01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I LOVE THE DRAFT AND WANT TO ATTEND THIS YEAR .. Especially since the bills have an early draft pick. I believe it's free but it's first come first serve. Is this true and what do i need to do to get in ?

Bmax....

PromoTheRobot
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I guess the NFL wants that information kept secret. It's nowhere to be found on its website. Last year the draft was at the Jacob Javitz Convention Center in NYC. You had to get there early and stand in line to get admission. I would try to call the NFL offices and see if some lackey can give you information, but that may not even work. (212) 450-2000.

PTR

footballhottie
01-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I would love to go

LtBillsFan66
01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Somebody page Kenny. He goes every year.

Ickybaluky
01-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I went a couple years ago when it was at MSG, before they moved it. When I went fans would line up outside in the morning and were allowed in on a first-come, first-serve basis.

I went on a media credential, although I am not in the media. I filled out a request for a media credential, saying I was going to start my own website based on NFL stuff and wanted to attend. We went back and forth with a couple emails and the finally allotted me one of the last media credentials (I asked for 2, they granted me one). I never started a site, it was really just a ruse.

It is much better to go to if you are with the media. When I went I was in the last row of media people with long tables and power to use my laptop. The bigger media outlets get phones, although i was with the riff-raff in the back row (no phone). They give out books of info they put together on the higher rated prospects and some goodies like a little radio with headset and pen. They also provide snacks, water and soda's for free during the draft. You get to go to the press conferences for the top few picks, although I didn't ask any questions.

If you want to take pictures, you need a pass that allow photographs, so be certain to request that if you wish to do so. It was low lighting, so you need a good camera and need to know how to adjust for lighting. I snuck a couple of pics with my digital camera, but they came out really dark. However, the ushers frown on that if your pass doesn't allow photos.

It actually is kind of hard to follow during the day when you are there, because you don't see stuff like on TV. It also is a couple of long days and got a little boring at times. I actually enjoyed the 2nd day more than the first, even though it was harder to follow the picks. On the 2nd day less than half the media stays, so there is more room. I hung with a pretty cool guy who worked for a radio station in Mississippi, who was sent to cover it because Eli Manning was drafted.

I did it on a lark, and was surprised how easy it was to do. It was something I'm glad to experience, but it wasn't like some groundbreaking event. I don't think I'd do it again. It was kind of boring at times.

I would think Billszone could get granted a couple of credentials if they wanted to request them, on a legit basis. There were several websites there that requested and got credentials, mostly draftnik-type sites. You could probably take some pictures and file reports, which they could use as content. If you want to ask one of the Mods about it, coordinate it with PM's and I'll let them know how I requested credentials.

I didn't see any of the media people in team gear, but I'm not sure if it was prohibited or just wasn't done because those guys were doing their jobs. It was more laid back than you would think.

Slim
01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Somebody page Kenny. He goes every year.

Who the **** has a pager?

Bmax
01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd be glad to cover it for the zone ...I did at one time work in the media ...Looking to get back in.. Just can't right now...Oh well maybe i'll pretend to be one of aj hawks' cousins.. man that won't work ...i'm black ...oh well better try reggie bush then...

Go bills..

Bmax