• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

A little blurb to keep an eye on.

Word is Billy volek is sick and tired of being a backup and is ready to play. If you remember Ol' Whitey had him in here last offseason and never did the deal. Instead he settled on holcomb

I think this Staff needs to cut the SH@! and get shaking in regards to our coordinators and staff! then make a decision with JP.

Here is my take, Ralph wilson says the future is now and they plan to win now. OK fine, Trade JP And DO NOT START HOLCOMB! We start that clown, we are a 6-10 or 7-9 team. He isn't a starter in this league and they MUST know this!

On the flip side I think Ralph, Marv and co Really like JP. I think they feel he will be a great QB. Problem is this, they want to win NOW and don't have the time for him to develop. It IS NOT a knock against JP. It's just ralph is old and doesn't have a ton of time left. Again, not a knock on JP. So they should seek a trade and get something for him then make a move for a Billy Volek or Matt Schaub (My pick) and go from there.

JP will be just fine but not in the timeframe Ralph and Marv need him to be. And sitting him won't make him better.
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Re: A little blurb to keep an eye on.

Volek and Schaub would be good choices to bring in if they plan on challenging JP into earing the starting job... but if you think they are the answer to this offenses' problems you are sadly mistaken. Neither guy is going to take the Bills to the promised land.

As far as I'm concerned, Holcomb will never be more than a backup for this team. Sadly, he and JP are the only guys that will be on the roster come training camp with a shot at starting.

The problem is, there are so many teams out there in need of a good QB that guys like Volek and Schaub are going to be more heavily targeted by other teams, making the chances of Buffalo getting either one slim to none.

We are stuck with JP and Holcomb, like it or not.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I haven't given up on Losman, as many Zoners obviously have. My biggest regret regarding our putrid 5-11 season is that JP didn't get all 16 starts.

I'm pretty sure we could have gone 5-11 with him, and he - and the Bills - would have been a whole lot closer to knowing whether he is going to be the long term answer at QB.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

I haven't given up on the kid because I don't think he's been given a chance.

But the way he played makes me wonder if they had gone 5-11.

I would have taken a 3-13 season and had him start all 16 games rather than 5-11 and play musical QB chairs

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Please understand I haven't given up on him either. My worry is Ralph and Marv aren't willing to give him the job (no such thing as competition and Holcomb isn't the answer anyway!) and let him have 16 games to prove himself. There is no way we are making the superbowl next year, BUT we can drastically improve and make the playoffs. Come 07 after a 2nd offseason for Marv and crew to shore up this team and a full year under JP's belt, we should be ready to make a run!

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

I don't think Schaub is going anywhere. Vick hasn't been under fire by the coaches, but the fans and analysis have begin to question his abilities as a football player. They think he doesn't play to his full potential, taking plays off and his accuracy has been in question for years. Not to mention that he finds new injuries each and every year of his career.

Mora is a smart coach and I know that he has to be thinking this in the back of his mind. If the Falcons can keep Schaub around for another year or two, he may wind up starting anyway. They don't want another Brett Favre incident here.

I was high on Volek a couple years ago, but that awe has long since past. If the Titans get a shot at either Young or Leinhart then Volek goes. If they end up with Young, look for Volek to remain through training camp in order for the coaches to see if the kid can go pro-style or not.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
              I don't think Schaub is going anywhere. Vick hasn't been under fire by the coaches, but the fans and analysis have begin to question his abilities as a football player. They think he doesn't play to his full potential, taking plays off and his accuracy has been in question for years. Not to mention that he finds new injuries each and every year of his career.

Mora is a smart coach and I know that he has to be thinking this in the back of his mind. If the Falcons can keep Schaub around for another year or two, he may wind up starting anyway. They don't want another Brett Favre incident here.

I was high on Volek a couple years ago, but that awe has long since past. If the Titans get a shot at either Young or Leinhart then Volek goes. If they end up with Young, look for Volek to remain through training camp in order for the coaches to see if the kid can go pro-style or not.
              I will say it right now, the only reason Vick is starting is MONEY and I don't mean his contract. Their owner is making HUGE bank off of vick...but for how long. Vick is starting to act like an ass in the press, whining and being a baby after every bad game.

I can also say if Schaub had started all season, Atlanta is in the playoffs. I really feel that. They could have put up maybe 10 wins and snuck in.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

The Titans will trade McNair before they let go of Volek.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  I will say it right now, the only reason Vick is starting is MONEY and I don't mean his contract. Their owner is making HUGE bank off of vick...but for how long. Vick is starting to act like an ass in the press, whining and being a baby after every bad game.

I can also say if Schaub had started all season, Atlanta is in the playoffs. I really feel that. They could have put up maybe 10 wins and snuck in.
                  Most definitly. I live in Atlanta and it's a bloody parade of Vick jerseys all over the damn place. I can remember first moving here and walking up to Fulton County Stadium to buy tickets to a Falcons game....THE DAY OF THE GAME. Suddenly everyone is a Falcons fan. I hate the Falcons with a passion.

I went to the preseason game, Deion SAnders first season, and he returned a punt or kick off about 70 yards.

He would have scored to if it wasn't for a little speed demon named Don Beebe. Beebe chased him down with some amazing closing speed and dropped him at about the 20.

The fans stole my banner and tore it to shreds: PEE-ON DEION.

Comment

• HAMMER
                    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                    • Jul 2003

Word is Billy volek is sick and tired of being a backup and is ready to play. If you remember Ol' Whitey had him in here last offseason and never did the deal. Instead he settled on holcomb

I think this Staff needs to cut the SH@! and get shaking in regards to our coordinators and staff! then make a decision with JP.

Here is my take, Ralph wilson says the future is now and they plan to win now. OK fine, Trade JP And DO NOT START HOLCOMB! We start that clown, we are a 6-10 or 7-9 team. He isn't a starter in this league and they MUST know this!

On the flip side I think Ralph, Marv and co Really like JP. I think they feel he will be a great QB. Problem is this, they want to win NOW and don't have the time for him to develop. It IS NOT a knock against JP. It's just ralph is old and doesn't have a ton of time left. Again, not a knock on JP. So they should seek a trade and get something for him then make a move for a Billy Volek or Matt Schaub (My pick) and go from there.

JP will be just fine but not in the timeframe Ralph and Marv need him to be. And sitting him won't make him better.
                    Of course Ralph and Marv said they want to win now. What are they going to do when they are making a regime change, tell the customer that we should hang in their for another season of mediocrity or worse while they build a team? You will not see a change at the QB position this offseason. They will go into camp saying it is a competition and Losman will win the job.

Most all QB's DO NOT develop overnight. In fact it usually takes at least two full seasons for the game to slow down for them. JP Losman will be a very good QB in time, have patience.

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HAMMER
                      Of course Ralph and Marv said they want to win now. What are they going to do when they are making a regime change, tell the customer that we should hang in their for another season of mediocrity or worse while they build a team? You will not see a change at the QB position this offseason. They will go into camp saying it is a competition and Losman will win the job.

Most all QB's DO NOT develop overnight. In fact it usually takes at least two full seasons for the game to slow down for them. JP Losman will be a very good QB in time, have patience.
                      Brother I am 100% with you. I say it is JP's job and that is all there is too it. replace 3 OLinemen, get a REAL TE and A REAL Coordinator, and a decent back (not an over hyped punk that quits mid season from Tha U) and JP will be fine by November.

I am just concerned that Ralph and Marv might not be willing to wait. If they realise this is a 2 year project to make a superbowl run, JP will be fine. If they think they can somehow turn it around in 1....JP is done.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE
                        Most definitly. I live in Atlanta and it's a bloody parade of Vick jerseys all over the damn place. I can remember first moving here and walking up to Fulton County Stadium to buy tickets to a Falcons game....THE DAY OF THE GAME. Suddenly everyone is a Falcons fan. I hate the Falcons with a passion.

I went to the preseason game, Deion SAnders first season, and he returned a punt or kick off about 70 yards.

He would have scored to if it wasn't for a little speed demon named Don Beebe. Beebe chased him down with some amazing closing speed and dropped him at about the 20.

The fans stole my banner and tore it to shreds: PEE-ON DEION.
                        Classic!

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

I think its real easy.

I think chances are great that they let JP earn the job from Holcomb. I bet they pray that JP plays well enough to give it to him over Holcomb. It makes their job easy, the guy they traded up to draft, the guy who makes more money, the guy who has shown lots of exciting things, earns the job easily in a head to head in training camp with Holcomb.

At that point, the vets are forced to get onboard, the Bills will be starting their youngster who could look MUCH MUCH better with some additional help on the o-line and a few weapons plus an entire offseason to dwell on him pissed he is for ever losing the job in the first place.

I fully expect that While Holcomb chows down on Cheetos watching TV, JP will be hard at work trying to earn back his job.

The Bills who have so much invested in JP, will want him to take the job.

JP who lost it will do everything in his power to win the job.

And Holcomb will do very little if anything more than what he has done in his career, look like a backup.

So, the Bills wont go and add a true upgrade at backup QB, a guy who could very well win playoff games for you, because it makes the chances that JP wins the job less likely and makes them look foolish if some new FA wins it and JP loses out again.

Hell, if Mularkey really wants to win day one, he should be punding down Levys door to make a monsterous trade for a proven playoff or SB QB.

He isnt, which means he wants JP to be that guy.

They will let JP earn it without any real challenge, if he cant do it, they start Holcomb and think about a solution for the long and short term.

Comment

Working...
                          X