PDA

View Full Version : Bills plan chat with Brett Maxie

BidsJr
01-10-2006, 08:05 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060110/1000055.asp?tbd1000055.asp

Interviewing to be the next DC.

Next headline..... "Brett looks to shore up Bills D that at times looked like a leaky Maxie this year.":lmao:

casdhf
01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
another token black guy?

I wasn't impressed with ATL's DBs this season at all

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Maxie sucks!!!! I'll be freaking pissed if they ink this guy.

ShadowHawk7
01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Gray had the best defense in the league last year, this year he had one of the worst. Should he really be fired? I'd take him over Maxie..

THATHURMANATOR
01-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Agreed.

ublinkwescore
01-10-2006, 09:02 AM
I just hope we let Cottrell and Capers know we are interested in their services.

ICE74129
01-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Guys Gray is gone. He sucks. With Lebeau out of the picture he sucked. He wasn't that great before Lebeau. We should have fired Gray and kept lebeau.

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I honestly don't want Cotrell back. What has he done since he's left besides lure players from the team?

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Guys Gray is gone. He sucks. With Lebeau out of the picture he sucked. He wasn't that great before Lebeau. We should have fired Gray and kept lebeau.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that. What's being said is that Gray is the better choice over Maxie.

ublinkwescore
01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I'd take gray over maxie too, better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Or the lesser of the two evils.

ICE74129
01-10-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't think anyone here is arguing that. What's being said is that Gray is the better choice over Maxie.

Why? Maxie is an up an comer, Gray sucks. We KNOW Gray sucks so how can we know if Maxie is worse or not? Hell the guy damn well might suprise us.

Jan Reimers
01-10-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't think we need any more experiments - we need experience. Mularkey's an experiment. JP is an experiment. We don't need a DC experiment, too. Bring in Cottrell or retain Gray. I simply don't want another "up and comer" like Clements was at OC.

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Why? Maxie is an up an comer, Gray sucks. We KNOW Gray sucks so how can we know if Maxie is worse or not? Hell the guy damn well might suprise us.

Please provide some information that backs up your statement about Maxie. The guy hasn't done anything special in Atlanta and we don't have the time to f around and wait for yet another coach to "come into his own". Experience now.

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't think we need any more experiments - we need experience. Mularkey's an experiment. JP is an experiment. We don't need a DC experiment, too. Bring in Cottrell or retain Gray. I simply don't want another "up and comer" like Clements was at OC.

Precisely. :bf1:

madness
01-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Maxie's Bio. (http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=1937)

Atlanta runs a high energy attacking style defense. Sound familiar?

Night Train
01-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately, a big reason he's being considered is that he'll work cheap.

ICE74129
01-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Please provide some information that backs up your statement about Maxie. The guy hasn't done anything special in Atlanta and we don't have the time to f around and wait for yet another coach to "come into his own". Experience now.

here is what is known...Gray is SH@! without lebeau. Time to move on regardless of who is the replacement.

And BTW...Gray is gone period. You don't can his entire staff then keep the DC. It just doesn't happen

Bmax
01-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I think the guy deserves an interview ..But i also think the bills best bet is to bring in an experienced guy....Say Dave Mcginnis..Ted Cotrell....Heck we should be talking to atlanta's senior def assitant Emmitt Thomas....I just hope marv sits in on the interviewing process along with ralph... The Golden boys guy should want some experience...

Bmax

gr8slayer
01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I would have rather kept Gray.

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 10:32 AM
here is what is known...Gray is SH@! without lebeau. Time to move on regardless of who is the replacement.

And BTW...Gray is gone period. You don't can his entire staff then keep the DC. It just doesn't happen

AGAIN - No one is arguing that point. Gray is crap, we all agree.

AGAIN - Maxie is a downgrade from Gray.

Lets not make an issue out of this. There are plenty of other DCs with experience available that can come in and get the job done.

Are we straight with that?

HAMMER
01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
AGAIN - No one is arguing that point. Gray is crap, we all agree.

AGAIN - Maxie is a downgrade from Gray.

Lets not make an issue out of this. There are plenty of other DCs with experience available that can come in and get the job done.

Are we straight with that?

We don't all agree that Gray is crap. You guys are like teeny boppers jumping on and off the next big boy band bandwagon. Gray had the #2 defense in the league last year w/o LeBeau so there goes that worthless argument. It is a s simple as this, you CAN NOT lose the middle of your defense and hope to be anything but bad. We let Pat Williams go and then his replacement went down for the year with a shoulder injury, then we lost Spikes. That's it, the plain and simple truth, Gray did not suddenly forget how to coach last offseason.

ICE74129
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
We don't all agree that Gray is crap. You guys are like teeny boppers jumping on and off the next big boy band bandwagon. Gray had the #2 defense in the league last year w/o LeBeau so there goes that worthless argument. It is a s simple as this, you CAN NOT lose the middle of your defense and hope to be anything but bad. We let Pat Williams go and then his replacement went down for the year with a shoulder injury, then we lost Spikes. That's it, the plain and simple truth, Gray did not suddenly forget how to coach last offseason.

He lost two players. Two and the defense goes to SH#@? I disagree completely. He sucks as a DC. He blitzes too often, and at the wrong times. Has his playmakers way off of the ball. Tries to run cover two and doesn't know how. As for as forgetting how to coach, he never really knew. I mean hell, we played the crappiest teams in the league last year including arizona at home. It was EASY to rack up the #2 YARDAGE ranking. And let me ask, where was Grays #2 defense against Pittsburghs BACKUPS with the playoffs on the line? No where to be found is the answer.

As for as Edwards is concerned, he isn't going to be a starter in this league. Neither is Bannon and anderson. We dont' have but one starter at DT. Now that is a bad thing I grant you, but not enough for us to go from 2-28 in one season. As for as spikes going down, Crowell did great in his stead.

Look, Gray is gone. Fans need to deal with that fact. You don't fire all of the assistants on Defense and keep the DC, it just doesn't happen.

mysticsoto
01-10-2006, 11:21 AM

What it goes to show is that with Lebeau's system, Gray was able to look good and maintain a #2 position for the defense. But as soon as we had losses and injuries, Gray was not able to adapt the defense to overcome them and still retain a high ranking for this defense.

Look at NE and all the injuries that they had, and still they managed to pull through. How come we were not able to do that???

All Gray did was blitz constantly and if the blitz was picked up, it was an automatic 1st down for the other team. Many of the blitz schemes were predictable and there was no adapting to a team and change of strategies in the 2nd half to counter what a team might do. Occasionally they played well, but clearly no where near where a #2 defense of last year should have been, as the season showed. The truth is, Buffalo overachieved last year with an easy schedule, and this year, our eyes were opened to what we really had.

Mr. Cynical
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM

:bf1:

ICE74129
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
What it goes to show is that with Lebeau's system, Gray was able to look good and maintain a #2 position for the defense. But as soon as we had losses and injuries, Gray was not able to adapt the defense to overcome them and still retain a high ranking for this defense.

Look at NE and all the injuries that they had, and still they managed to pull through. How come we were not able to do that???

All Gray did was blitz constantly and if the blitz was picked up, it was an automatic 1st down for the other team. Many of the blitz schemes were predictable and there was no adapting to a team and change of strategies in the 2nd half to counter what a team might do. Occasionally they played well, but clearly no where near where a #2 defense of last year should have been, as the season showed. The truth is, Buffalo overachieved last year with an easy schedule, and this year, our eyes were opened to what we really had.

And let me further your point bud, Teams now know WHEN he is blitzing and where from. Every damn time. It is almost like they are intercepting his playcalls.

He is gone, time to move on.

ICE74129
01-10-2006, 11:25 AM
:bf1:

Thank you sir. And might I add, make the call and get Capers in here if we can. The man is the creator of the zone blitz in the NFL. Bring the man in and let him work his Mojo.

HAMMER
01-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Thank you sir. And might I add, make the call and get Capers in here if we can. The man is the creator of the zone blitz in the NFL. Bring the man in and let him work his Mojo.

Hmmmm....I thought LeBeau created the zone blitz. Guess I was wrong.

HAMMER
01-10-2006, 11:36 AM
The grass is always greener isn't it Hot Pockets? Until you get there and realize the dog ****s on that grass too.

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 12:17 PM

Your point might hold water if they dropped to say the middle of the pack, but to last in the league. You're going to tell me they dropped to the last in the league because they didn't have Pat Williams? They fell to last place! Why didn't your BELOVED Gray adjust the system to compensate for the rest of the season? A good coach over comes adversity. The Patriots seem to grasp this concept rather well.

BTW, did you watch a game at all this season? Crowell filled in nicely for Spikes. Granted he's not TKO, but he's not chopped liver either.

Mr. Miyagi
01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Perfect example of why Jan Reimers is the most underrated poster. :up:

Jeff1220
01-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, a big reason he's being considered is that he'll work cheap.

This is the real problem here. The Bills never pay coaches at fair market value or above. They wait for some "up and comer" who's desperate for a promotion. The Bills have gotten lucky with a couple of hires (Levy as the best example) but when has Ralph ever really ponied up the cash to bring in an experienced, highly-sought after coaching candidate?

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Perfect example of why Jan Reimers is the most underrated poster. :up:

:mad:

deathadder
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Guys stop saying we should have kept LeBeau! If you remember correctly, we did offer LeBeau the job before Gray. LeBeau was the one that chose Pitt over us. You can't sit here and say that we should have kept him if we had no choice. He lived in Pitt and wanted to be there. So the argument about keeping him over Gray is done!

ParanoidAndroid
01-10-2006, 03:41 PM
There are legitimate arguments here for and against bringing in Maxie. The most valid pont against is that he has no DC experience.
Some have said Atlanta's receiving defense was not so hot. I would say they did quite well cosidering the talent level. Their best player back there by far was DeAngelo Hall. In only his second year he was asked to cover #1 receivers and did a pretty decent job.
For me...If Marv is for it, I'm for it.

ArcticWildMan
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
For me...If Marv is for it, I'm for it.

Yep, can't argue with that statement. Marv knows a tad more about football than any of us armchair GM's.

ParanoidAndroid
01-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Yep, can't argue with that statement. Marv knows a tad more about football than any of us armchair GM's.

We all get along with everyone so much better outside the spin zone! :D