PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Shaffer?

Kerr
01-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I haven't really seen him play until this season when we played against the falcons. I noticed he's a UFA LT 6-5 295. From the scouting reports i've read, he's a plays with good strength and knows how to lead pass rushers away from the qb. He's only 25 and was in charge of protecting Vick's blindside. Anyone seen him play more than once? Is he any good?

One of the issues that will be raised further down the road will be the tackle positions. Jason Peters was and is a solid prospect. He was literally the team's best O-lineman this season, but he still lacks experience. Mike Gandy played solid this season, but there are still some questions if he's the best option out there and is better suited inside rather than the outside. Would you find it more beneficial if they went out and signed an experienced LT like Shaffer, move Gandy inside(or backup LT) and leave Peters at RT??

Devin
01-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Shaffer is a solid LT, I didnt know much about him til I drafted him in my Sim league. The game ranks him 21 out of 142 players right between John Runyan and Barry sims. Obviously this isnt the "authority", but the game does do a pretty good job ranking players of all positions so while it may not be 100% accurate it is probably relativley close.

But most of what I have ready about him seems to place him at least in the top 30 OT's. Admittedly I havent seen much of him apart the Bills/Falcons game.

To compare him to someone we are all familiar with, he would be a significant upgrade to Jonas Jennings. Course that may not be saying to much.

RedEyE
01-10-2006, 10:15 PM
The Falcons can't afford to lose lineman. There has already been discussions of resigning him and in fact they may already be involved in contract negotiations.

The good thing is that the Falcons will have some cap strain in '06. They aren't going to be able to pay for a guy like Schaffer and then expect Schaub to jump on board for next to nothing. Something has to give.

OpIv37
01-10-2006, 10:29 PM
vick's a lefty, therefore LT doesn't protect his blindside. Just something to think about- he plays in the line of sight of a very athletic QB.

Kerr
01-10-2006, 10:36 PM
The Falcons can't afford to lose lineman. There has already been discussions of resigning him and in fact they may already be involved in contract negotiations.

The good thing is that the Falcons will have some cap strain in '06. They aren't going to be able to pay for a guy like Schaffer and then expect Schaub to jump on board for next to nothing. Something has to give.

I did some digging and found out the Falcons aren't planning on signing him at all. They want to start some rookie.

Devin
01-10-2006, 10:40 PM
?

Kerr
01-10-2006, 10:41 PM
vick's a lefty, therefore LT doesn't protect his blindside. Just something to think about- he plays in the line of sight of a very athletic QB.

Damn Op, you're right.

Mahdi
01-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Gandy is just as good as Shaffer and cheaper. We need interior linemen not Tackles.

Jeff1220
01-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Gandy is just as good as Shaffer and cheaper. We need interior linemen not Tackles.
True. Upgrades at guard and cener will make Bills' tackles that much better!

mysticsoto
01-11-2006, 08:45 AM
True. Upgrades at guard and cener will make Bills' tackles that much better!

I'll agree with this, although that being said, Gandy can also play LG - and would be incredibly quick at that position.

Still, my ideal would be for the Bills to try Jason Peters at LT and move Gandy to RT. Gandy should have a much easier time, and Peters is still new enough to the tackle position that he's not entrenched in either left or right. Considering how well he took to the RT position after a few games, I have no doubt he could also do well on the left side!!!

Kerr
01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
If Gary Kubiak gets hired by the Texans the consensus is that Shaffer could be signed to be the guy to protect carr's blindside. Alex Gibbs coached the Falcons O-line in zone blocking, which is currently what Denver's O-line is famous for.