PDA

View Full Version : Trade: D.Carr for Ricky?

Jeff1220
01-11-2006, 06:37 AM
I know, I know; it's just PFT, but it's a rumor (as they are very clear to point out) to talk about...
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Under the deal, as we've heard it, the Texans would send quarterback David Carr to Miami for running back Ricky Williams (a former Longhorn) and a third-round draft pick.
That would give the Fins Carr, R.Brown, and Chambers as their triplets. That's actually sort of scarey when you combine it with Saban as their HC. It would also make way for Houston to pick Vince Young, giving them Young, Ricky, and Johnson, but still in need of an OL.

don137
01-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Won't happen ...The Phins are already over the cap or close to the cap from what I hear...Carr has a 8 million dollar bonus due in March not to mention his salary. The Phins can't take on that salary. Heck, they may have to cut Ferrotte because they may not be able to afford his contract due to the incentives he reached this year...Houston won't eat that much salary...Man for man it sounds good however throw in salary cap implications and it is not realistic.

LtFinFan66
01-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Fins will be anywhere from 15-25 million under before it is all said and done. If and it's a big if, they want Carr, they can afford him with no problem

Earlier this year, General Manager Randy Mueller said he would like the team to have $10 million to $12 million of cap space. Other estimates suggest the Dolphins could have even more room.
from this article:http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/03/a1c_dolphins_0103.html

don137
01-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Fins will be anywhere from 15-25 million under before it is all said and done. If and it's a big if, they want Carr, they can afford him with no problem

I heard they were near the cap and were not sure they could afford Ferrotte? :dunno:

LtFinFan66
01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
i added a link to my first post

don137
01-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks LT...The article is confusing though. It says
"Earlier this year, General Manager Randy Mueller said he would like the team to have $10 million to $12 million of cap space. Other estimates suggest the Dolphins could have even more room.
Reaching that point will require some tough decisions."

It can be intrepted two ways. One, is they LIKE to be 10-12 under the cap but it will require tough decisions. This implies they need to cut people to get at the 10-12 million under to go sign free agents.
The other implies they may already be there and have more room.

Historian
01-11-2006, 07:49 AM
As much as I hate to say it...it would be a good move for the fish.

I think it would solidify their offense.

Brad528
01-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Hopefully Miami doesnt do that dumb ****. Give up a quality player and a pick for an overpaid under performing qb who has never played well in this league

mysticsoto
01-11-2006, 08:36 AM
As much as I hate to say it...it would be a good move for the fish.

I think it would solidify their offense.

It would be a good move for the Fins, but a dumb move for Houston. Carr isn't the problem in Houston and they already have a decent RB in Davis. Waht they need is better Oline personnel and an all around better defense...things they need to address 1st!

McBFLO
01-11-2006, 08:48 AM
It would be good for both teams (not considereing cap concerns. don't know enough about the 2 teams' situations there enough to comment on that). For Miami, they get the QB they need and get rid of a possible RB controversy. For Houston they get a workhorse back, not to mention a former Longhorn. Then they trade back a couple spots and take VInce Young. I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen.

Plus, if Miami got Carr, they'd probably restructure his contract to avoid that 8 million dollar bonus right? Or they could just ask Ricky to pay it, ha!

McBFLO
01-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Hopefully Miami doesnt do that dumb ****. Give up a quality player and a pick for an overpaid under performing qb who has never played well in this league
He's never had even a decent O-line to work with. Give him a shot behind a decent line and he may be very good.

RedEyE
01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Texans shouldn't bite on that. We all know that the only reason Ricky came back is because he didn't want to have to pay an exuberant amount of money back to the fish.

I bet he pulls another disappering act as soon as his debt is settled.

Carr would be a great pick up for the Dolphins. The guy never had an OL in Houston, and I'm not sure that he would be getting a better one in Miami, but it most definitly isn't worse.

clumping platelets
01-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Miami's cap will not be a problem

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
STUPID.

You think Houston would rather have Past-his-prime Ricky than young legs Reggie Bush?

Not.

Kerr
01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
That would a good trade for both teams. Carr has some experience and has never played behind a better O-line. He's the league's tackling dummy.

Ricky Williams showed he still has it. I'm sure he would like to start and this trade would be ideal for him since he's a former longhorn. If Kubiak gets the job, Ricky behind that zone blocking scheme will put up big numbers. I wouldn't expect him to pull another dissapearing act though. It's been said Ricky's character has made a complete 180 since his return to the league.

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
What you described there, Kerr, is a good trade for both players, not teams.

Again, from Houston's standpoint would you rather have Ricky than Bush?

gr8slayer
01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I cant see it happening.

Kerr
01-11-2006, 11:05 AM

I would take bush because he's younger, yet he's unproven in this league. Ricky is older, but a proven rb. Either way houston could end up with inexperience at the rb or qb position if they pick either bush or young. If houston's gm wants a sure thing, he would consider Ricky Williams. However, that would leave them with having to fit an inexperienced qb, but most people in houston would love Vince Young even if he has no experience. Houston's Gm might just give the fans what they want.

As a hypothetical scenario I said it wouldn't be a bad deal for both teams, but personally, I don't see it happening. I think Ricky has a better chance of landing somewhere in Arizona or the Raiders.

lordofgun
01-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't get why everyone loves David Carr all of the sudden. :coocoo:

The people that really crack me up are the ones who think JP is a bust, but want the Bills to get David Carr. :rofl:

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Here's why I don't see it happening in the way you described.

1) Houston would rather have Bush than Ricky.

2) Inexperienced RBs are usually much less risky than inexperienced QBs.

3) Assuming Houston trades down to take Young/Leinart, they can't go any further than 2 spots to have a shot at him. But New Orleans have Deuce and doesn't want Bush, and to Tennessee Bush is a luxury item that they can't afford.

That's just some of the roadblocks.

finsrclowns
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't get why everyone loves David Carr all of the sudden. :coocoo:

The people that really crack me up are the ones who think JP is a bust, but want the Bills to get David Carr. :rofl:

Well, Carr has the learning curve on getting sacked covered.

feelthepain
01-11-2006, 04:28 PM

Would you rather have Carr or Young?? I think Young showed he has evrything Vick has except Young is a QB playing QB and Vick is a DB playing QB. You keep making it seem as though Ricky is an over the hill washed up RB. I got news for ya, Ricky has as much talent as any RB to ever play football in the NFL. You think he's over the hill but he does have one less season of abuse under his belt and since he was drafted in 99 that would mean he only has 5 season in the league, old?? I don't think so!! When was S.Alexander drafted?? 2000 and he is the best RB in the league the last two seasons. I'm sure you give him more respect then Ricky. If you don't like Ricky because he's a fin then say so, but stop the BS about Ricky being over the hill.

The Texans have D.Davis, add Ricky all of a sudden their backfield becomes formidable, add Vince young to the equation and then they have quite a bit of fire power. Young adds a dimension that Carr doesn't. Carr is due an 8 Million dollar roster bonus. By trading Carr for Williams you dump the 8 mill and Ricky comes with a vet min price tag. IMO Young and Williams is better then Carr and Bush. Ricky can put up 200 yrds of rushing at any time, Bush hasn't done anything yet. Ricky owns every rushing record in Division 1-A football, Bush doesn't!! Both have Heismens. Ricky can take a ponding for an entire pro football season, can Bush??? Ricky has more carries in a two year period then any RB in NFL history!! Ricky is a RB that will make any football team better. QB of Youngs ability doesn't happen offten, but every year we hear about the the next big time in RB is headed to the NFL. I could go on, but whats the point it's all opinion. The difference is some opinions have bias others bring facts.

vicmantak
01-11-2006, 10:30 PM
I was not wrong and this trade makes sense. Once again Houston wants to spend the big money on QB and trading Carr for Ricky seems to be a very viable way to manage this team. In other words, they get a kind of Vick QB via draft, and at the same time they let go a cancer-contract QB for a terrible RB for coins.
In the other hand, Miami's style hasn't changed at all and trading Ricky Williams for the 2002 top draft pick + a top 3rd rounder really makes sense. They get a way better QB to surround and at the same time they let Brown to be their unequivocal starter... facts that can only be possitive for them.

Well, many will disagree but if Houston wants to trade David Carr for a Top RB it could be Willis McGahee.
I don't know but David Carr is arguably way attractive than JP or Holcomb and if Houston is also going to throw the top 3rd rounder for a big question RB... I don't know what are they going to "throw" for someone like Willis.

Historian
01-12-2006, 05:49 AM
I don't get why everyone loves David Carr all of the sudden.

I always like him...Harrington too.

I think all three players suffer from the same problem.

Their teams suck.

Give either one a real offensive line and I think they succeed.

All have cannons for arms. Carr and Harrington obviously have more experience than JP, but JP has those quick feet.

I would take either one of them.

But I think I'll keep JP and give him a fair shot.
:up: