PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Coordinator - Who do you want?

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Who do you want as our next OC?

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I see two "Other" votes without follow up posts. :mad:

Novacane
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
I was one of the other. Don't know who I want but just don't like the other choices

Jan Reimers
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Sam Wyche would give us continuity, and has actually had success as a head coach - something Norv Turner, another popular choice, has never experienced. I think that Wyche would be of more help to Mularkey because of that past success.

T-Long
01-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm going with McDaniels. Anyone from the Bellichek tree will be fine with me! We should've hired Weis when we could...now we better not pass up him.

Also, if it's the PATS we are always chasing in the AFC East, why not get someone FROM there and help us solve the problem! Makes total sense to me.

Ickybaluky
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
McDaniels is under contract and can not try for another job unless the Pats let him, or it is a head coaching position.

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
McDaniels is under contract and can not try for another job unless the Pats let him, or it is a head coaching position.
Not just HC, but any kind of promotion, like OC.

Ickybaluky
01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Not just HC, but any kind of promotion, like OC.

No, assistants under contract can not leave unless it is for a head coaching position. That goes for all assistants, the NFL does not allow them to leave for a coordinator post unless the team they are under contract to allows it. Those are the rules, although in many cases the team will allow an assistant out of his contract for a promotion.

At any rate, McDaniels is likely to be "promoted" to OC this year. The Patriots don't have anyone holding that title right now, but McDaniels has been basically serving in that capacity.

jmb1099
01-11-2006, 11:57 AM
I voted other.
I know I'm dreaming, but I have never seen a Dick Vermeil offense that wasn't potent.

gr8slayer
01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Wyche

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I voted other.
I know I'm dreaming, but I have never seen a Dick Vermeil offense that wasn't potent.
Dick Vermeil didn't retire from a HC position to be an OC. Doesn't hurt to dream though.

Kerr
01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Al Saunders.....was Vermiel's offensive coordinator for a few seasons in KC.

tantra
01-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Norv Turner is my first choice for OC, but i doubt he would come to the Bills. If not Turner, then Al Saunders, look at what he's done for the Cheifs, they got an excellent O line that can protect their QB and also create running lanes for their RB. Thats the kind of system we need in our offense. Also the Chiefs over the last few years have had a consistently potent offense, if not for their poor defense, these guys could have very well gone far in the playoffs the last couple of years. Another good thing is Saunders will also look to use Willis M more, by styling plays for him where he's more of a receiving threat just like what he did for Larry Johnson. He gave that guy the opportunity to become an absolute beast over the second half of the season. I also really like his playcalling tooo, he's got enough plays designed in his playbook that he doesnt have to resort to trick/gadget plays like MM unendingly.

Mr. Cynical
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Don't really like any of the choices.....the front runner is Turner according to the poll but what has he done since being handed an offense full of all pros in Dallas?

Kerr
01-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Norv Turner is my first choice for OC, but i doubt he would come to the Bills. If not Turner, then Al Saunders, look at what he's done for the Cheifs, they got an excellent O line that can protect their QB and also create running lanes for their RB. Thats the kind of system we need in our offense. Also the Chiefs over the last few years have had a consistently potent offense, if not for their poor defense, these guys could have very well gone far in the playoffs the last couple of years. Another good thing is Saunders will also look to use Willis M more, by styling plays for him where he's more of a receiving threat just like what he did for Larry Johnson. He gave that guy the opportunity to become an absolute beast over the second half of the season. I also really like his playcalling tooo, he's got enough plays designed in his playbook that he doesnt have to resort to trick/gadget plays like MM unendingly.

My thoughts exactly. Al Saunders would take the boredom out of this current offense and utilize the current talent in the right way. Saunders is interviewing for head coaching vacancies, but he's expected to leave regardless because his contract run up at the end of this month. Herm Edwards runs a more conservative style of offense, which is nothing like Saunder's offense.

ParanoidAndroid
01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
If Saunders can put together a passing game with Kennison and Gonzalez, I'd like to see what he could do with Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Reed, and the question mark Everett. He also knows how to get production out of his RB's.

I voted for Turner but I completely forgot about Saunders. I'd be surprised if he leaves KC, though.

Kerr
01-11-2006, 03:56 PM
If Saunders can put together a passing game with Kennison and Gonzalez, I'd like to see what he could do with Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Reed, and the question mark Everett. He also knows how to get production out of his RB's.

I voted for Turner but I completely forgot about Saunders. I'd be surprised if he leaves KC, though.

Saunders is a good friend of Vermiel, and without Vermiel in the picture, he really has no good reason to stay in KC, unless he was offered the head coaching job, but Carl Peterson shunned him and gave it to Herman Edwards. Edwards's style of offense doesn't seem to coincide with Saunder's philophy on offense. It would be a shock to see him stay put in KC.

Charlieguide
01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Saunders sounds very promising.

What about Mike Tice? He was OL coach before being promoted in MN, and that offense always seemed to have an answer in '04 when Moss was hurt. Admittedly, '05 made them look bad, but they were missing their C.