PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay has...

WG
01-23-2003, 07:04 PM
...allowed 20+ points only 5 times this entire season.

They've allowed 10 or fewer points 11 of 18 games.

They've allowed more than 20 points only three times.

T.B. 23-17

shelby
01-23-2003, 07:51 PM
i agree with you Wys....the number one defense in the league is going to shut down Gannon and the Raiders O. The Bucs are going to win a low scoring squeaker.
:biggrin:

GO CHUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

WG
01-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Their D will set them up nicely on occasion.

Tampa really struggled in Miami amassing barely over 200 net yards. Gannon was sacked 5 times for over 40 yards of losses. The Raiders only had 14 first downs all game and were 2 for 9 on 3rds if I remember correctly.

It wasn't pretty. People keep putting way to much credence in the passing game of teams. It's D coupled w/ a rushing game that wins championships in most instances by a long shot. That's what beat us in '90 and in '92 and '93. In '91 the Skins just whupped us up all around. They were clearly the better team unlike the others.

Tampa's gonna be all over Gannon like a cheap suit! He's gonna be runnin' for his life from second one. I will be surprised if the Raiders get over 200 passing yards all day barring a bunch in garbage time if the Bucs are ahead comfortably. Even then, the Bucs probably won't go into garbage time. They'll probably keep applying the pressure.

Meanwhile, I don't think Pittman is gonna have a career day or anything, but Alstott may play up and the way the Raiders let George run last week, even Pittman may do well. George isn't anything anymore and he ran just fine. If Pittman and Alstott combined can get 80 or so yards, the Buc O will be fine.

ublinkwescore
01-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Aren't the Raiders favored?

I wish I could find some morons out here in Cali that would be willing to take the Bucs - and back them up with some money.

SABURZFAN
01-24-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I wish I could find some morons out here in Cali that would be willing to take the Bucs - and back them up with some money.

you may want to find some CHARGERS fans.they hate Oakland.

mchurchfie
01-24-2003, 05:32 AM
Tampa will keep it close in the first half, Oakland will run away with it in the second. Unless the Bucs bring the heat consistently on Gannon he will have another one of his big "dink and dunk" days. They will have to be creative with their blitzs instead of bringing just their usual four down linemen all of the time.

Scott
01-24-2003, 05:47 AM
My concern is that the Bucs will not be able to generate a pass rush and/or Gannon beats them with his legs.
Garner could pose a problem as well.
That being said Gruden should know Gannon's weaknesses and be able to exploit them.
Bucs 27-21

mchurchfie
01-24-2003, 06:27 AM
How goes it Scott!;) I hope your are correct, Go Bucs!!:up:

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Wys….I love TB in this game……but you picking them is scaring me………Don’t jinx this……I’ve been right for a few years in a row and I don’t need you messing with my streak.

McD
01-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Oak has alot of weapons for sure, and Gannon and the boyz have spread the wealth on O all year. I think they'll give Tampa's D fits. Saying that, I think Tampa will start off strong defensively before the Raiders find some weaker spots to exploit. I wasn't too impressed with Tampa's safeties in man coverage, the few games I saw them. I don't know how Tampa's D will respond if they get behind either, they know the O isn't all that, and may try to risk some blitzes to get after Gannon. Oak has alot of talent not to beat the blitz a few times for big gains. I really want the Bucs to take this game though!!

McD

Ebenezer
01-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
How goes it Scott!;) I hope your are correct, Go Bucs!!:up:

Can't you just call him on the phone and ask him how he is??

:lol!:

mchurchfie
01-24-2003, 09:56 AM
:rofl:Sure!! How goes it Eb!:up::D:church:

WG
01-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Scott
My concern is that the Bucs will not be able to generate a pass rush and/or Gannon beats them with his legs.
Garner could pose a problem as well.
That being said Gruden should know Gannon's weaknesses and be able to exploit them.
Bucs 27-21

I don't think that the Buc pass rush is gonna be a problem. Look for Rice to have a huge day, for coverage, even on Rice to be great, and for Gannon to make some lousy throws. The Raider rushing game won't do squat unless they have one or two big runs and that will be the extent of it. People are giving the Raiders WAY to much credit here. They haven't played any of the top Ds this year at all. When they played Miami in Miami, Gannon took 5 sacks and they were ineffective amassing barely more than 200 total yards and 17 points. The Bucs D plays better than Miami at home or anywhere. Even the Buc D on the road is better than Miami's home D.

Gannon may be making plays w/ his legs, but it'll be out of necessity not luxury and he certainly won't have any wide open spaces and when he does, he's gonna witness exactly how fast that Buc D can move. Even their DTs move w/ a vengeance and close.

Originally posted by McD
Oak has alot of weapons for sure, and Gannon and the boyz have spread the wealth on O all year. I think they'll give Tampa's D fits. Saying that, I think Tampa will start off strong defensively before the Raiders find some weaker spots to exploit. I wasn't too impressed with Tampa's safeties in man coverage, the few games I saw them. I don't know how Tampa's D will respond if they get behind either, they know the O isn't all that, and may try to risk some blitzes to get after Gannon. Oak has alot of talent not to beat the blitz a few times for big gains. I really want the Bucs to take this game though!!

McD

I have to digress here D. Oakland's entire attack is essentially predicated on passes to Rice, Brown, Porter, and Garner. Shutting down any one of those guys takes away 20% of the Raiders' offense. Coverage is gonna be tight even on Rice. The Bucs have some cover corners! Tampa may start off strong defensively, but they'll stay strong throughout the game.

STs can also go either way and will be huge in this game. Also, don't kid yourself, Gruden knows the Raiders well and not much has changed in terms of their offensive players. Schemes, shmemes! Gruden's gonna win this for the Bucs.

You'll get your wish. The Raiders schedule was not that tough. The AFC W is good, but not outstanding.

Judge
01-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
...allowed 20+ points only 5 times this entire season.

They've allowed 10 or fewer points 11 of 18 games.

They've allowed more than 20 points only three times.

T.B. 23-17

Where's the acklnowledgement that in the last 8 games Brad Johnson has played the Bucs have averaged 27+ points per game- quite an offensive output!

:cool:

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

You'll get your wish. The Raiders schedule was not that tough. The AFC W is good, but not outstanding.

I agree with much of what you said except this. The Raiders played KC twice, San Diego Twice, Denver Twice, Buffalo, Miami, New England and NY. Not to mention SF, Tenn and Pittsburgh 3 other playoff teams. In a league where almost everybody was 9-7, that was a tough schedule. I just think that TB’s defense is too fast and strong for them to win with the pass alone.

shelby
01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Judge

Where's the acklnowledgement that in the last 8 games Brad Johnson has played the Bucs have averaged 27+ points per game- quite an offensive output!

:cool:

Good point, Judge...everyone is assuming the Bucs won't be able to score enough offensively. If Brad Johnson has a good game {and if Keyshawn can hold on to the damn ball}, the Bucs won't have to rely solely on their :angry:ing awesome defense to win the game for them.

i smell an upset. i like the Bucs, 21-17.
:beers:

casdhf
01-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Buccs will dominate...RJ gets a ring.

Bert102176
01-24-2003, 02:42 PM
go Buccaneers, and the Bills in 2003.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Wys hates the Raiders. He let's that cloud his astute judgement. He gave the same reasoning saying the Jets would beat the Raiders.

Face it. The Raiders will score 2 TD's in the first quarter, lead 21-7 at the half, and win going away. The Super Bowl will be a 42-20 blowout for the Raiders.

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wys hates the Raiders. He let's that cloud his astute judgement. He gave the same reasoning saying the Jets would beat the Raiders.

Face it. The Raiders will score 2 TD's in the first quarter, lead 21-7 at the half, and win going away. The Super Bowl will be a 42-20 blowout for the Raiders.

Naw…the Jets defense doesn’t compare to the Bucs. Gannon will face crazy pressure and the linebackers and CB’s for TB will match up well against the Raiders weapons. They won’t be able to run. Give it to TB. Score 27-20. This will be my official prediction.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Oakland doesn't want to run. They will throw it almost every down.

When Oakland goes 3 or 4 wide, that takes the TB LB's off the field. If Oakland gets the lead early, TB is done.

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Not going to happen.....that's why I mentioned the run...because when Oakland realizes that they can't pass, they be stuck, because it'll be too late to run. They're in trouble.

That being said, this is football. and one stupid mistake early could change the whole game. I still like TB to take this one.

Scott
01-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Tampa has 3 solid corners in Barber, Kelly and Smith. Lynch has lost a step but can bring it and Jackson is underated at S.
I think Brooks will lay a lick on Garner or Rice early and they will stay out of the middle.
Key is if the Bucs can put pressure on Gannon.
I think the Bucs can score on offense, if they get Alstott going and can control the clock, Oakland is in trouble.
Gruden also knows the weaknesses of many of the Oakland players and the tendancies of the coaches. A BIG advantage.

Patrick76777
01-27-2003, 02:04 PM
I rule.......