PDA

View Full Version : the DC area is going insane with Redskins fever....

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 08:49 AM
DC is not like Buffalo. Yes, there are a lot of Skins fans around, but there are other things here besides football, so normally the fervor is somewhat muted compared to places like Buffalo. Now that the Skins are 2 games deep in the playoffs, it's become the local obsession- every store, bar, TV station and radio station is loaded with Redskins stuff.

It's kind of fun to see the local fans enjoying their team, but it's very depressing as well. It reminds me of how Buffalo and Rochester were in the early 90's with the Bills- I wish the Bills were still playing this late in the season. I wish all this hype was about our team instead of over the local team. I wish we had even 1-2 extra games in a season, instead of having the last 7 be meaningless cuz we were already eliminated from the playoffs.

I hope Marv can resurrect the good ole' days....

BAM
01-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Yah It's bad around here... I can't imagine what it's like right in the heart of it all. :puke:

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Yah It's bad around here... I can't imagine what it's like right in the heart of it all. :puke:

to give an example, the 1-hour local newscast last night had about 20 minutes devoted to Redskins coverage when normally they only have about 7 minutes devoted to ALL sports. It was a pleasant change from the arsons, murders and bank robberies they usually discuss though.

Iehoshua
01-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah the fairweather 'Skin population is out in full force now that they're actually winning. I don't mind the team as much as their fans, they're some of the biggest flip-floppers around.

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah the fairweather 'Skin population is out in full force now that they're actually winning. I don't mind the team as much as their fans, they're some of the biggest flip-floppers around.

tell me about it- I know a few die-hards, but most of them are very fair-weather, like Homer with the Springfield Isotopes.

The worst was the local media about 3 seasons ago. The Redskins lost their first 5 games then won their next 5. When they were losing, the local sports guys were all like "This team is HORRIBLE, they have no idea what they're doing, they need to completely rebuild in the offseason, etc". Then suddenly they win 3 games- exact same guys: "This team was never that bad, they just took some extra time to gel, they have a good shot at making the playoffs".

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
DC is not like Buffalo. Yes, there are a lot of Skins fans around, but there are other things here besides football, .

What does this mean??? Don't give DC that excuse to be pussy fair weather fans.

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
What does this mean??? Don't give DC that excuse to be pussy fair weather fans.

what I mean is that people here like the Skins and follow it, but the buzz is usually more about which politician is being indicted or the latest confirmation hearing. In Buffalo during the season, the buzz is ALWAYS about the Bills (at least in my experience)/

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2006, 11:08 AM
I got ya... I guess they do have politics to worry about also.

Valerie
01-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Living here in Skins HELL always sucks. But now it's beyond horrible! Op is right. You can't turn around without having something Skins shoved down your throat! Whether it be television, newspaper, flags, balloons, fireworks, these damn crazy ass fans are taking over and it's making me sick! :ill: :puke: I hope and pray with every fiber of my being that the lose to the Seahawks this weekend. I can't imagine having to live in this hell another week.

That Guy
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah. It's only gonna be for the rest of this week and then it's over.

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Well it would almost be good to watch the Skins win the SB to make Valerie suffer...

Nothing personal, Valerie- it's just that a Skins SB is punishment that all Cowboys fans deserve.

R. Rich
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
DC is not like Buffalo.

Let me guess: is it like DC?

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Let me guess: is it like DC?

nah, it's more like Baltimore with less crime.