PDA

View Full Version : Marv Levy's Super Bowl Memories

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/6142955

"My fault, Scott"
I'd probably have more stories if we had won, but I can recall one very important moment following a tough time in Bills history. Believe it or not, I am very proud of the way our players responded following Scott Norwood's missed field goal to end Super Bowl XXV.

Naturally, Scott was sitting there awfully disconsolate on the bench in the locker room after the game. Just sitting there, and I'll bet individually, six or eight players came by and apologized to Scott! One said: "Hey Scott, if I would have hung on to that pass on the 15-yard line, it wouldn't have come down to your kick," and another said: "If I would have made that tackle on third-and-6, maybe you wouldn't have needed to make the kick." You get the idea -- they showed him it was a team loss, not a one-man loss.

There were no sour grapes, there was no blaming teammates, there was no "we were better than they were," it was just a bunch of guys interested in going back to work and getting back to the Super Bowl again, which we did. That attitude was persistent with all four Super Bowls.

RedEyE
01-23-2003, 09:29 PM
I miss the good 'ol days.

Cntrygal
01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
:wail:

great stories!!

northernbillfan
01-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Very good read.

:sadwalk:

shelby
01-24-2003, 04:20 AM
Marv is a class act. i miss him. :cry:

Judge
01-24-2003, 12:09 PM
2 plays that stand out to me from XXV that make me not blame Scott Norwood-

1) when Jim Kelly put too much air under the early bomb to Lofton- should've been a TD, and the Bills settled for a FG if I recall.

2) when Ingram broke that short pass on 3rd and 13 for a 14-yard gain- led to a TD if I recall.

Also, the Bills' refusal to let Thurman Thomas loose on the Giants' D despite the success he had.

The Bills lost that game, but it wasn't Norwood's fault- he was put in a difficult situation due to the Bill's earlier blunders.

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Judge

1) when Jim Kelly put too much air under the early bomb to Lofton- should've been a TD, and the Bills settled for a FG if I recall.

Wouldn't that make it Jim's fault that we lost the game. After all he was the QB.

Judge
01-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

Wouldn't that make it Jim's fault that we lost the game. After all he was the QB.

No question- it was clear right then and there that as long as Kelly was QB we'd never win a Super Bowl!

:church:

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 12:15 PM
How's things going Judge.......

HotRod
01-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Marv is definately a Class Act!