PDA

View Full Version : Is this as good as we think it is?

ShadowHawk7
01-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I might get blasted for this, but if it's true, and it does seem to be, I don't think it is a much of a blessing as you guys think.

First of all, I think it's sad that MM is resigning because of his family being harrassred rather than admitting he wasn't cut out for the job. How can a COTY candidate (if we would have got in the playoffs..) turn into a bumbling idiot in one season. I think a lot of people take it personally when a coach is rather neutral and has a seemingly stale personality. And yes, he did make bad decisions this year (especially with JP/Holcomb) but if the players, not Mularky would of made one more solid play per game, we may of been something.

With all these coaching changes and undoubted personnel changes to come, are we going to have enough stability to have a legitamate shot at the 06 playoffs? Unless Ralph pony's up for a HC w/ experience, I'd say, at this point, no.

Don't try denying it, but a lot of us were in love w/ MM after that 9-7 season. I know I just said that, but thats the million dollar question. Is it worth another season to see if he was the solid and improving 04 to 9-7 coach, or if he was the overanalyzing, mistake prone coach we saw this year? Or would it be better just to start fresh of w/ another HC and another new system?
We'll find out.

(On a side note, I'd like Sherman or Haslett with Capers as our DC. W/ Sherman we also wouldn't need a GM.)

OpIv37
01-12-2006, 06:32 PM
His playcalling was amateur at best. He failed to control the vets and lost the team early in the season.

ESPN said that he wanted to step down after two years due to family considerations anyway, so I don't know where that harassment stuff came from.

Mudflap1
01-12-2006, 06:38 PM
He's one of the five worst coaches in the NFL, and turned this franchise into a laughingstock with Tom Donahoe.

1. bad playcalling
2. bad judge of talent (offensive line and defensive line)
3. Misjudged J.P. Losman's learning curve to effectively direct the offense right away
4. Lost control of the team (Moulds, Adams, etc.)
5. Defense went from 2nd best to 2nd worst
6. Had one of worst offenses in NFL

Not good things to have happen to you in Year Two. Couple that with Donahoe's cheap-skate approach with the offensive/defensive lines and his lip service, and you've got yourself a 5-11 season.

I think he seems like a nice fella, but the sooner he's outta here, the sooner we can move on and get better. He doesn't have mental toughness, he showed today he is a quitter.

Jon

DynaPaul
01-12-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't know that anyone was "in love" with Mularkey after the 9 - 7 season. I know I wasn't. Last year it seemed that we were winning in spite of his stupid play-calling and through the good fortune of some of his trick plays actually working. Losing Mularkey is a good thing in my opinion and I was surprised that he didn't cut out sooner when all of his butt buddies were getting canned. Resigning is the best thing to do to save his dignity. I'm not buying the BS about his family getting harrassed.