PDA

View Full Version : Impressive resume

Kerr
01-12-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/al_saunders/

Charlie Joyner, Kellen Winslow, Lynn Swann? Torry Holt and Issac Bruce? Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes? The list goes on. This man has coached these players and helped them become phenomenal football players. Anywhere he's gone, he's done something positive for that team. I'm usually not a big fan of hiring coordinators to become head coaches after the team's previous failures with Mulakey and Williams, but unlike them, this man has had prior nfl head coaching experience. Now that Mularkey is gone, he should be on Levy's speed dial to get him in for an interview. He's already interviewed with Al Davis. The raiders are working slow to find their next head coach so Levy has to act fast and get Saunders in for an interview before it's too late. You can't overlook this man's credentials in bringing life to an offense, which buffalo is severely lacking. If i'm not mistaken, JP Losman was part of a high powered offense back at tulane where all his success came from? They should let the kid play his game in the type of offense is comfortable playing in. I don't feel a smashmouth offensive philosophy is going to help Losman in the long run. It's just holding his talent back.

Tatonka
01-12-2006, 10:17 PM
i agree.. i would be excited if he was our new HC

lordofgun
01-12-2006, 10:19 PM
He's my first choice as well!

Crisis
01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Al Saunders or Rivera would make me happy.

Crisis
01-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Of course, if we could somehow pry Kirk Ferentz from Iowa I would be extremely pleased...

Michael82
01-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Hmmm, after reading more about him, he's definitely moving up on my list. Very impressive. :bf1:

Get Al Saunders in here, Marv. :pray:

Tatonka
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
the more i look at this guys resume the crazier it seems that this guy wasnt already offered a job as a HC.. four years as an OC and his offenses have just completely dominated..

and KC decided to go with edwards, who has been solid, but not spectacular by any means, and even gave up a draft pick for him.. instead of promoting from within.. i just dont get it.

why has this guy not been at the top of peoples lists for the last couple years.. and why has he not been offered a job by now??

are the raiders the only team that has interviewed with him?

does anyone know what kind of coach he is? is he a vermiel, cry all the time, type guy.. a players coach.. a coughlin hard ass type or what?

Michael82
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
the more i look at this guys resume the crazier it seems that this guy wasnt already offered a job as a HC.. four years as an OC and his offenses have just completely dominated..

and KC decided to go with edwards, who has been solid, but not spectacular by any means, and even gave up a draft pick for him.. instead of promoting from within.. i just dont get it.

why has this guy not been at the top of peoples lists for the last couple years.. and why has he not been offered a job by now??

are the raiders the only team that has interviewed with him?

does anyone know what kind of coach he is? is he a vermiel, cry all the time, type guy.. a players coach.. a coughlin hard ass type or what?
I think it might be because of his age. He's 59. Even though the NFL won't admit it, there is definitely some age discrimination going on there. There has been some damn good older coaches that never get a chance.... Al Saunders, Ted Cottrell, Tom Moore (OC of the Colts), Jim Johnson (DC of the Eagles)

Crisis
01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
How old is Monte Kiffin?

The last buffalo fan
01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't mind either. :peace:

Michael82
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
How old is Monte Kiffin?
64 or 65. He's another one that gets bypassed because of his age. and he's a damn good DC too. :(

Ingtar33
01-12-2006, 11:15 PM
for some reason i don't think age is going to factor into marv's thinking

saunders is a marv type of guy.

Michael82
01-12-2006, 11:17 PM
for some reason i don't think age is going to factor into marv's thinking

saunders is a marv type of guy.
That would be AWESOME! I really like what I've read about Saunders and the fact that Dick Vermeil recommended him too. That's good. :up:

Bmax
01-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Well saunders is a name Peter King mentioned months ago as a guy who deserved a second chance at being a head coach...I would be ok with it ..I just think Jim Haslett will be the choice if he doesn't ask for too much money....He made over 3 mill last season as saints head coach..

Ralph really likes haz...We will see what happens.....

Bmax

Tatonka
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
ingtar.. do you know anything about saunders coaching style?

i heard that saunders is not happy that he didnt even get a chance to take over for vermiel.

Michael82
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
ingtar.. do you know anything about saunders coaching style?

i heard that saunders is not happy that he didnt even get a chance to take over for vermiel.
Hopefully he'll be happy to come to Buffalo. :pray:

ICE74129
01-12-2006, 11:50 PM
right now he is very high on my list. I heard Vermil on tonight and he was riled up Saunders hadn't had a real shot yet.

Kerr
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
I wanted the team to hire Saunders right after they fired Greg Williams, but that didn't happen either. I hope it happens the second time around.

Kerr
01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
I would also like to add that he's been interviewd by the Vikings and apparently the Texans. Maybe he's doesn't give a good interview, but we all know the best interviews don't always turn out to be the right choice(ie. Greg Williams)

Ingtar33
01-13-2006, 12:16 AM
heh... i thought it was clear when I said Saunders is a Marv type of guy.... hell the man even runs marathons.

What would you get from a coach Saunders? A coach who could talk for 2 hours to reporters and say nothing (something Marv is famous for).

He's a real positive type personality, focused and driven. I’ve had the honor of speaking with him a few times and found him to be a good humble guy... not a 'center of attention' type of personality.

I think his offenses speak for him. One of the most consistent features of all of his offenses is a very high red zone percentage.

btw: he is on the Lion’s short list.

Devin
01-13-2006, 12:20 AM
well maybe by tomorrow we will have some hope.

Kerr
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
heh... i thought it was clear when I said Saunders is a Marv type of guy.... hell the man even runs marathons.

What would you get from a coach Saunders? A coach who could talk for 2 hours to reporters and say nothing (something Marv is famous for).

He's a real positive type personality, focused and driven. I’ve had the honor of speaking with him a few times and found him to be a good humble guy... not a 'center of attention' type of personality.

I think his offenses speak for him. One of the most consistent features of all of his offenses is a very high red zone percentage.

btw: he is on the Lion’s short list.

When did you meet Saunders?

I hear Russ Grimm is the leading candidate in motown simply because he and millen were teammates with the skins early in the 80's.

justasportsfan
01-13-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm all for him. I am hoping our next coach knows how to run an offense. I'm tired if watching us score 12 pts a game. A proven offensive coach knows how to build an OL , knows how to use a rb and can make use of the talents that Jp has. Someone who isn't gonna be the GM's puppet even if Marv is the GM. I somehow don't see Marv being some kind of natzi GM like TD was.

Historian
01-13-2006, 04:44 AM
Forget it man!

Ralph is our owner.

He's not going to pay for a 'name' coach.

Turf
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Hopefully Marv atleast gets him on the horn.
We've had two young coaches in here and we see how that all went, so I don't think his age will be a factor here.

Jan Reimers
01-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Saunders sounds like the right guy and by Marv's standards, he's just a pup. Marv was older than Saunders is now when he hired on with the Bills the first time.

jmb1099
01-13-2006, 06:22 AM
The one thing the Cheifs have obviously lacked for a number of years is a solid defense, and Edwards seems capable of putting one togther. Saunders has a brilliant offensive mind which is great, but there is no way to know for sure if he can be a balanced head coach. I would love him as our oc, but we need our coach to be someone with a mind for both sides of the ball. He just might be that guy, only time and a chance will tell.

SquishDaFish
01-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Thats why you hire a very good DC ala Cotrell or CAPERS

Tatonka
01-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Forget it man!
Ralph is our owner.
He's not going to pay for a 'name' coach.

a name coach that wants money.. we could clearly get a name coach that will work as the lowest paid in the nfl..

like the last three coaches we have had here.

Historian
01-13-2006, 06:59 AM
That was my point.

And it brings up another interesting thought.

Perhaps there should be a salary cap on coaching staffs.

Why should Snyder be able to pay umteen million for Gibbs, then three mill for GW, and gawd knows how much for Bugel, while Ralph spends 850K on his head coach?