PDA

View Full Version : The Way I see it.... 2 Coaching Options

The King
01-13-2006, 06:51 AM
We have two choices at Head Coach and only two choices. We are already behind in our head coach pursuit but these are the only 2 coaches I would be excited to get.

1. Maurice Carthon: Currently the Browns OC a no non sense guy who did a good job with little talent. He had Charlie Frye playing effectively and Ruben Droughns looking like a Pro-Bowler the last half of the year. Here is the clincher for me. He is a Parcels guy, most recently in Dallas 03-04. However he has coached his whole career under a Parcel Regime. Carthon posses the kind of discipline this team needs. We lack desire and have no direction as a team, it will take a strong minded coach like Carthon to rip this team from the athritis ridden grip of Ralph Wilson. He is my number one choice for the job.

2. Jeff Fisher: Currently the Titans HC. Fisher has shown the ability to win, but as of late injuries and the lack of talent have got to him and the Titans, I think both he and the Titans should be looking for a change. Fisher instantly demands respect and from the moment he step foot into a locker room, the organization has already become better. Because Fisher is under contract we would have to give something up for him. I dont think there is any price to high, Fisher is the guy to bring some stability back to this turnstyle of a coaching position.

If we can't land either of these two, just stick a fork in us. If we get Haslett throw me off a bridge, Haslett doesnt know how to win. And I am already sick of this return to the glory days love fest.

SquishDaFish
01-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Whats your take on Al Saunders my #1 choice now lol. Never even thouht of Carthon not a bad choice.

Dr. Who
01-13-2006, 07:37 AM
I think Fisher should be the number one choice, though one would have to be judicious about compensation. Several weeks ago I heard Chris Mortensen on an Atlanta radio station seem to indicate that he thought there was still a possibility that Fisher might want out of Tennessee.

I don't know anything much about Carthon. Saunders intrigues me.

ICE74129
01-13-2006, 07:39 AM
First off, Ralph wont' pay for fisher, or sherman or any REAL HC candidate. Our HC will be none other than Jim Haslett. Ralph can get him on the CHEAP. Our assistants will be wannabe's with the 'up and comer' labels.

THATHURMANATOR
01-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Sadly Ice you are probably right. I would take Haslett over MM at this point as we needed to wipe the slate clean.

Fisher would be great!

SquishDaFish
01-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Ice we heard this point in 50 of the threads already WE GET THE POINT!

mybills
01-13-2006, 07:52 AM
:hi5:

I like Fisher! :up: Maybe one of Ralph's heirs will fork over some extra dough! :snicker:

The King
01-13-2006, 07:53 AM
I think Saunders is soft.

THATHURMANATOR
01-13-2006, 07:58 AM
But he is probably right.

tantra
01-13-2006, 08:26 AM
My first choice for Head Coach is either Ted Cotrell or Jeff Fisher. The other candidates out there like Sherman, are going to be expensive and i honestly doubt if Ralph will want to spend big money for him. I DEFINITELY dont want Jim Haslett and Dom Capers. No no no, plzzzzzzzzzz no. Haslett always had talent around him in the Saints, and look what he did over the last few years. Nada, his team consistently underperformed inspite of all that talent and the responsibility for failure thus rests solely with him since he was the HC. About Capers, granted the Houston were an expansion franchise, but he had four drafts and free agency to definitely show results and improvement for his team, and his team never did not even on the defensive side. I thought the guy was a defensive genius, looking at the Houstons play, never ever gave me the idea that he was one.

Regarding Jeff Fisher, i think there a lot of teams out there who would gladly give draft picks to the Titans for his services. Thus in that respect the Bills would be in tough competition to get him. Also Fisher isn't going to come cheap and i don't know how committed Ralph is to spending big money behind quality head coaches.

I like the idea about Cotrell being a head coach, i think he has all the qualities to be a very good successful head coach. If the bills cant get him, then i would like them to go after Kubiak of the Broncos or Al Saunders of the Chiefs. Both these guys are big into running the ball, and establishing dominant punishing offensive lines. Their passing game too has consistently been at the top of the league. So i definitely think they will have the talent in Buffalo with Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and the TE Everett to make our receivers a legimitate threat. In Moulds they will have the experienced receiver just like has Kubiak had Rod Smith in Denver. Looing at the consistent successful production he has been able to get out of Rod Smith, i have no doubt Moulds would flourish under him too, as would the other receivers. I also believe that both Kubiak and Saunders can turn Willis into a great back in this league. If Saunders can make Larry Johnson into a MONSTER and Kubiak the same with Bell and Anderson, then i can see no reason why Willis wont too. i Refuse to believe that Willis washed up and hyped. I think the guy can still perform big time consistently, he just needs the right kinda line in front of him and a head coach/offensive coordinator who believes in him and the running game.

jaja54
01-13-2006, 08:49 AM
First off, Ralph wont' pay for fisher, or sherman or any REAL HC candidate. Our HC will be none other than Jim Haslett. Ralph can get him on the CHEAP. Our assistants will be wannabe's with the 'up and comer' labels.
That's where I think the Fins did their best job of rebuilding ... they paid top dollar for the HC AND all of his assistants. You can see it beginning to pay off.

Dr. Who
01-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Note to Ralph: you are not immortal. Now is the time to pay for the best coach possible if you want a shot at being alive when the Bills win the prize you've ostensibly been chasing a large portion of your adult life. I would do what it takes to get Fisher.

Michael82
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Very good choices, MBB. I really want Fisher, but I'd take Carthon too!

Devin
01-13-2006, 12:30 PM
That's where I think the Fins did their best job of rebuilding ... they paid top dollar for the HC AND all of his assistants. You can see it beginning to pay off.

Yeah they did and I wish our owner would do the same. I would be opposed to Haslett if he had good assistants around him.

Bill Brasky
01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
If things are so bad in BUF right now, as everybody is saying, what would provoke Fisher from leaving a job in Tenn to come rebuild in BUF?

Makes no sense to me. We don't have a shot at the guy, IMO.

Tatonka
01-13-2006, 12:38 PM
why would TN get rid of fisher?

hell.. if your going to talk about getting coaches we have no shot at getting, lets discuss belichick.. maybe we can get him right after he wins the superbowl this year!!

:rolleyes:

imbondz
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I would love to see Fisher in Buffalo, but not a chance he is leaving Tn. He is well liked and respected by both the GM and Titans owner Bud Adams, the players love him, and so do the fans.

Bill Brasky
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I think we should go after Tom Landry!

Philagape
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Is Vince Lombardi under contract?

Mudflap1
01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd love Fisher, but I don't see him leaving. Carthon, Saunders, Haslett, Sherman would all be ok. Frankly, almost anybody would be an upgrade. We need someone who is a leader and is tough, not someone who buckles under pressure and lacks direction.

Jon

feelthepain
01-13-2006, 12:48 PM
The Titans are in position to draft either Leinart or Young why would Fisher leave the warm south and a chance to draft either of those guys to coach in Buffalo with JP and Holcomb as QB options?? Makes no sense. I don't see that happening.

Tatonka
01-13-2006, 12:49 PM
i am telling you.. belichick is our guy!!

alohabillsfan
01-13-2006, 01:18 PM
I know Ralph wants to win badly or he would of already sold the team and moved on.

The GM (TD) most likely under paid for coaches because he did not want them making more than him (ego maniac) Lets see how the next 2 weeks unfold before we are critical of Marv and Ralph.

Michael82
01-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah they did and I wish our owner would do the same. I would be opposed to Haslett if he had good assistants around him.
Everyone *****es about us not having good assistant coaches and that's BS! We all loved our assistants with Mularkey....Come on.

ST Coach Bobby April
QB Coach Sam Wyche
OL Coach Jim McNally
WR Coach Tyke Tolbert (very highly regarded and helped develop Evans)
DL Coach Tim Krumrie (many people here loved him)
DB Coach Steve Szabo (came from Belichick's team, helped develop McGee and the younger DBs)

jdbillsfan
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
We have two choices at Head Coach and only two choices. We are already behind in our head coach pursuit but these are the only 2 coaches I would be excited to get.

1. Maurice Carthon: Currently the Browns OC a no non sense guy who did a good job with little talent. He had Charlie Frye playing effectively and Ruben Droughns looking like a Pro-Bowler the last half of the year. Here is the clincher for me. He is a Parcels guy, most recently in Dallas 03-04. However he has coached his whole career under a Parcel Regime. Carthon posses the kind of discipline this team needs. We lack desire and have no direction as a team, it will take a strong minded coach like Carthon to rip this team from the athritis ridden grip of Ralph Wilson. He is my number one choice for the job.

2. Jeff Fisher: Currently the Titans HC. Fisher has shown the ability to win, but as of late injuries and the lack of talent have got to him and the Titans, I think both he and the Titans should be looking for a change. Fisher instantly demands respect and from the moment he step foot into a locker room, the organization has already become better. Because Fisher is under contract we would have to give something up for him. I dont think there is any price to high, Fisher is the guy to bring some stability back to this turnstyle of a coaching position.

If we can't land either of these two, just stick a fork in us. If we get Haslett throw me off a bridge, Haslett doesnt know how to win. And I am already sick of this return to the glory days love fest.

Stick a fork in us we don't land an unproven Carthon or a coach that is still under contract with his team? This seems silly.

If we don't sign Jeff Backus or John Henderson this offseason we are screwed and I am jumping off a bridge.

Hopefully we interview some good candidates and pick one who fits what Marv is looking for an hopefully able to bring some good assistants and possibly keep April etc. We all have preferences and ideas of who might be good, but to just pick two guys before we have even interviewed anyone and say we are screwed if we don't get them doesn't even make sense.

Voltron
01-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Ted Cotrell would not be a good fit here. He would want to run a 3-4 D and we don't have the right talent for a 3-4. We need to go with a Cover 2 D with the talent we have I think it would be an easier shift from the 46.

gladiator26
01-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Hire Bobby April. We need a motivator. Here are 3 other coaches that started out as special team coaches Marv Levy, Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer

mybills
01-13-2006, 01:42 PM
lets discuss belichick.. maybe we can get him right after he wins the superbowl this year!!
:rolleyes:
:negrep: just for saying that.

venis2k1
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Hire Bobby April. We need a motivator. Here are 3 other coaches that started out as special team coaches Marv Levy, Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer

we should hire bobby april as our HC and then try to land Mike Martz as our OC.

:goodpost: