PDA

View Full Version : This is like walking a tight rope at this point

X-Era
01-13-2006, 07:08 AM
the team has now pulled even more stands off the tight rope that it was already walking.

Mularkey wasnt the right coach IMO:

1) The JP mess- sorry, I believe we should have stuck it out with him, many said how could we lose to the lowly Bucs? I said, you watch to see if both them and ATL dont end up playoff teams. TB did, ATL almost did. He should have played him the whole year, we probably would have ended up 4 and 12 instead of 5 and 11. Mularkey brought on a full blown contorversy that had the locker room ripped in half with guys like Evans wanting JP, and the older vets wanting Holcomb. It was a mess and Mularkey should have been the calming force, not the hand on the churn.

2) The Moulds and Adams situation- Yes, they both needed to be benched for their own reasons. But we never should have been in that place at all. I haveto believe that Mularkey could have seen poor play coming and could have taken lengthy steps to keep his players believing that those bad days had to happen to get to a SB, a good coach would ave prepared the players to weather the storm. And when the storm hit, Moulds might not have went off the way he did, he then would never have been suspended. The time to get his player to believe in the system and firmly stand behind it was in the preseason, not up 21 to 0 against the Fins.

3) Going forward- we didnt get a chance to see what Mularkey would have done, but I think it was likely that we would have seen JP pulled again if he played poorly only to perpetuate the QB mess. A good coach with a real vision would have to predict whether a year of playing him regardless of record was necessary or if he just wasnt ever gonna be what we need. NOT what Mularkey did which is to put him on this extremely short leash only to yank him off the field right before he actually learns something.

I am not against having Mularkey leave at all. My only point is that we now have complete turn over, a completely new front office (pretty much), a completely new coaching staff, which means completely new playbooks for EVERYONE to learn.

After the constantly changing O Coords and suffering through the "learning the new system" syndrome Henning, Pendry, Clements, we are back to that again.

Now, when we are walking on a tightrope like this we can either fall deep into hell, or we can find our way to the end a be better off.

We are at a MAJOR crossroads right now. Probably the MOST offseason changes in one year ever. Itw ill be interesting to see where we go from here. But it should make us all very uneasy.