PDA

View Full Version : How does JP fit into the new coach equation?

finsrclowns
01-13-2006, 10:03 AM
*Both TD and Mularkey gambled their jobs that JP Losman would be NFL ready this year. He wasn't and in large measure that's why they're both gone. That's not an indictment of JP per se but it is a fact. Maybe they could have quieted the noise from the fans and team some if they were more honest about the strong possibility that JP might struggle, but I'm not sure even if a warning like that would have been enough to get a playoff hungry fan base to accept 5-11 after being so close to the playoffs in '04. Well, in any case that's water under the damn. But.....

*Isn't the QB situation the 1000 pound gorilla in the room for any prospective head coach and for Marv Levy? It's going to need to be addressed carefully in any job interview. The Bills have a lot invested in JP. Does Levy tell Haslett or whoever "play the kid for the whole season, we give you a complete free pass on your record next year". Then tell the fans that this is the plan and to cut the kid some slack because he's going to need it. I'm ok with that.

*OR does Levy say to Haslett or whoever "we like JP but we're not going to let one guy hold another season hostage- if he's not the best guy after his third full TC, let him watch until he shows you in practice he's ready". I'm ok with that also.

*OR does Levy say "watch the films of JP. We've got a bad OL and he's only had 9 games. Do you see enough potential there that if we firm up the line he can be a star in this league or are you simply not seeing enough to give him the keys to the car? Not sure that's fair yet, but it needs to be out on the table.

*In other words, the opinion any prospective new head coach of the Bills has of JP Losman will be one of the key issues for how The Bills go forward from here and the fans expectations going forward. Whatever the plan is the new HC and Levy better be on the same page with it and then be straight with the fans about it. To do otherwise will DOOM the new head coach's tenure in Buffalo before it starts.

BillsFever21
01-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Donahoe said at the start of the year that we could take some lumps and the playoffs wasn't a sure thing.

Anybody who would've fell for it is just gullable and would believe anything the company tells them.

This wasn't a playoff team this season. We wern't good enough the year before and even got smoked against a bunch of backups when we had our chance. Add in the fact we lost starters that we never replaced and Spikes went out our team was even worse off. When Justin Bannan and Lavale Sappe are your starting DT's for most of the season your run defense is in trouble.

Bledsoe wouldn't have taken us to the playoffs and Holcomb certaintly wouldn't have made that happen either. Bledsoe couldn't get the Cowboys to the playoffs with Parcells. Mularkey definitely wouldn't have made tha happen. Holcomb couldn't win when he played. He lost 4 of his last 5 starts.

Anyone who thinks JP was the only reason we didn't make the playoffs again were the gullabe ones who are searching for excuses now.

We had a terrible HC and OC. Our OL stunk, our #1 WR is declining every season, we had no production from any draft picks, Williams was never replaced and Adams was hardly ever on the field, Spikes went down with an injury and our safeties are old and declining.

The run we made last year happened because we beat some of the worst teams in the league. We were pretenders last season. 5-11 is what happens after you actually play some real teams and also lose starters.

This team is still far away. We will be even worse next year. We will lose more players and our talent will be even more inferior then this season.

Mr. Cynical
01-13-2006, 12:02 PM
3 things I am certain of...

It is too early to judge what JP can do. 10 games behind a s**t oline with a s**t coaching staff is nowhere near having enough valid data to make a judgement.
We won't go for a top QB in the draft given we have 1,000,000 other needs on the team, most importantly the lines. Without good lines, it doesn't matter who is at QB.
Whoever the new coach is will likely try to bring in a 3rd string QB with alot of upside to compete for the #1 in case JP falls apart. KH is fine as a backup, but he is no starter.

finsrclowns
01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
This wasn't a bash JP thread. My point is simple: the new head coach needs to be on the same page with Marv Levy on the QB issue and he needs to be straight with the fans on how he's going to go about deciding who plays. Mularkey felt pressured to pull JP by vets on the team that wanted to win now and quite possibly by TD who probably felt pressure to win now after his "JP is a step forward" comments.

Bill Cody
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Donahoe said at the start of the year that we could take some lumps and the playoffs wasn't a sure thing.
Nothing's a sure thing in life. But he also raised expectations by saying JP was "a step forward". Some step forward. We'd be staring at 2-14 if JP had started all 16 games.

Anybody who would've fell for it is just gullable and would believe anything the company tells them.

This wasn't a playoff team this season. We wern't good enough the year before and even got smoked against a bunch of backups when we had our chance. Add in the fact we lost starters that we never replaced and Spikes went out our team was even worse off. When Justin Bannan and Lavale Sappe are your starting DT's for most of the season your run defense is in trouble.

Bledsoe wouldn't have taken us to the playoffs and Holcomb certaintly wouldn't have made that happen either. Bledsoe couldn't get the Cowboys to the playoffs with Parcells. Mularkey definitely wouldn't have made tha happen. Holcomb couldn't win when he played. He lost 4 of his last 5 starts.

Anyone who thinks JP was the only reason we didn't make the playoffs again were the gullabe ones who are searching for excuses now.

We had a terrible HC and OC. Our OL stunk, our #1 WR is declining every season, we had no production from any draft picks, Williams was never replaced and Adams was hardly ever on the field, Spikes went down with an injury and our safeties are old and declining.

The run we made last year happened because we beat some of the worst teams in the league. We were pretenders last season. 5-11 is what happens after you actually play some real teams and also lose starters.

This team is still far away. We will be even worse next year. We will lose more players and our talent will be even more inferior then this season.

Last year we only needed a couple of upgrades on the OL to have been in the playoffs and contrary to whatever spin you want to use our D was elite last year and our skill guys were elite except for TE. Going with bums on the OL is why we couldn't get over the hump and why TD is unemployed.

This year we regressed at QB, LG and DT but no question Holcomb played miles better than JP. But I agree we're getting old at a number of spots on D and we will be worse overall. Personally I think we should jettison all the older guys, trade what we can for more picks and sign only young FA's and rebuild. Let JP play the whole damn year. At 2-14, we can take Troy Smith and some more young talent and we'll be on our way.

TigerJ
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I think JP is an issue for any new coach hire, but I wouldn't describe it as a 900 lb gorilla of an issue, to say nothing of a 1000 lb issue. Here's where I think it applies: As a young QB, I think it is to JP's advantage (and the team's) advantage, that they not alter the offensive concept too much, and if possible they shoulc keep the same terminology. JP's got enough on his shoulders trying to learn how to be a professional QB without having to start from scratch with a new system and entirely new terminology. That's why I would lean against Mike Sherman, who seems likely to bring in a west coast offensive concept.